3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Rotor Choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
areinike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh also, don't forget to flush your brake lines. Not a difficult job, just be patient. I used a one man gravity bleeder and works like a charm.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

got some brembo rotors from tirerack and they've served me nicely ... also may i recommend new bleeder screws from speed bleeder ... awesome product and makes bleeding the system a fast one man job

Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
If you go drilled/sloted I would definately reccomend installing new rear along with the fronts. Not a good idea to mix/match those.
Originally Posted by areinike
I bought my front powerstop slotted rotors and hawk pads at autoanything for $330. Bought the rear rotors (non-slotted) at pep boys for another $75 or so. It was a $400 job in parts to do all my brakes but so far I can't complain and it's been about 500 miles so far. If you want to get your brakes done right, you're going to spend a little money. The guy on ebay seems to be what everybody refers people to, to get the best deal.
You really shouldn't mix/match drilled/slotted with blank discs. It's the same as putting 2 different types of tires on your ride. The vehicle won't stop as intended and will likely push/slide if you hit the brakes hard enough going into a turn or when on wet/slippery roads.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucius
I am having the same problem with my truck. Every time I push on the brakes it shakes and vibrates really bad. I was thinking about just having my rotors turned because the brakes are not squealing at all, just the shaking. Anyone know how much this costs to have done?
Thats going to depend on shops in your area but around here its about $10 +/-

Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM
areinike
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You really shouldn't mix/match drilled/slotted with blank discs. It's the same as putting 2 different types of tires on your ride. The vehicle won't stop as intended and will likely push/slide if you hit the brakes hard enough going into a turn or when on wet/slippery roads.
Huh? Why? I'm honestly trying to figure out what the problem would be. The rears don't work nearly as hard as the front and won't have the heating issues as the fronts. Sorry, man. I guess I'm just not getting it. Not like I have right sides with slots and left without.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Bent
Veteran

your rears don't work as hard as the front, but they are also only single piston calipers so they won't be exerting as much squeezing force as the fronts. It is an engineered system and is designed to perform under consistent conditions, throw a curve ball at it (like mis-matched rotors) and it all goes out the window.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
areinike
Veteran

So the braking effectiveness between a slotted and non-slotted rotor are that much different? I'm not trying to start anything, this is good information for people out there who may be considering doing the same thing I did and don't want to give anybody illegitimately bad information.

Last edited by areinike; 10-20-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by areinike
So the braking effectiveness between a slotted and non-slotted rotor are that much different? I'm not trying to start anything, this is good information for people out there who may be considering doing the same thing I did.
So some people say solid rotors are better because they have more surface area, but they run hotter. Drilled/slotted run cooler giver you a more constance braking. therefore under heavy braking solids will lock up quicker (like 1ms) but will fade out, drilled/slotted will stay consistant.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 AM
areinike
Veteran

That makes sense actually. I have to pull the rears for a gear swap anyway, I'll look at throwing some slots on there (boy this gear swap is getting expensive!) lol Keep the others for spares I guess.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
sinus19
Veteran

DRILLED AND SLOTTED!!!!

Name:  2010-10-15190107.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  2010-10-15190128.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  32.6 KB

Quick Reply: Rotor Choices