3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi vs Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamataco
I agree 100%. My last truck was an 06 Regular cab with a Cummins and auto tranny. I towed with in almost every day. I used to repo. But after I sold the buisness but not the equipment. It was just to expensive for an every day driver that didn't tow all the time.
That's the same thing that happened to me. I owned a used auto dealership for 3 years and I used my diesels to pull my car hauler to and from the auction several times a week. It was worth it to me then. But I found myself driving some turd off the lot home every night because I didn't want to rack up the miles on such expensive vehicles. When I sold the business I kept my 07 because it was my dream truck. My payment was 600 a month and 100 in insurance. I finally decided that I wanted a new house more than a truck so I sold it and bought a brand new house. Now I have an 07 hemi with no payment and couldn't be more happy. Last weekend I towned my friends 06 turbo mustang to Gateway International Raceway for midnight madness. It was an hour and a half away and the car and trailer/gear combined was 6k and the truck pulled it no problem.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

Originally Posted by bartvandenberg
Diesel - 500,00km no problem. You cant kill the engines.

I'd love to see a hemi hit that and still run fine.

longevity --> Diesel FTW
True, but most that get that milage are used to run up and down the highway everyday. Not daily drive. And it's going to cost you injectors, a turbo or two and many other high priced parts. I'm not saying they wont do it, but it'll cost you a lot along the way. I'd rather have a cheaper truck and get a new one every few years. Add a chip or programmer and you can watch your 40 thousand dollar truck fall apart in front of you.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZmanTRX4
True, but most that get that milage are used to run up and down the highway everyday. Not daily drive. And it's going to cost you injectors, a turbo or two and many other high priced parts. I'm not saying they wont do it, but it'll cost you a lot along the way. I'd rather have a cheaper truck and get a new one every few years. Add a chip or programmer and you can watch your 40 thousand dollar truck fall apart in front of you.
Yea I wouldn't add a chip to the new ones but the older diesel can take almost twice the HP without a problem.

Well maybe i'm exaggerating but then can take a good +120 hp with just exhaust and a tuner.

Last edited by kx250frider617; 10-21-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
Yea I wouldn't add a chip to the new ones but the older diesel can take almost twice the HP without a problem.

Well maybe i'm exaggerating but then can take a good +120 hp with just exhaust and a tuner.
The motors will take it pretty easily. The real problem I see with the diesels is their trannys. The autos will explode over 100-120 hp with just a little abuse and the clutches do the same. All in all very very stout vehicles though. You just have to have the money to play, but I guess that's the same with all vehicles. My cousin bought an 08 with the 6.7 diesel and 6 spd off the showroom floor. Lifted it 13 inches, put on 38.5/15.50/20 nitto mud grapps and a 250 hp programmer! That truck was sick until 15,000 miles when he sold it. blew 3 head gaskets, once clutch and 3 manual trannys! But of course he is an extreme case because he didn't give a crap. I couldn't destroy a truck like that.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then again we bought our 7.3 where the previous owner dropped $6k on a suncoast tranny, TQ, and cooler. So i totally forgot about that.

Quick Reply: Hemi vs Cummins