3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi vs Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 AM
rr-merlin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi vs Cummins

I've got a 2002 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9L engine. I just got a toy hauler that loads out at about 7200 lbs. Im getting about 3-7 mi per gallon and my tranny goes into over themp on hills. I want to move up to a 2003-2008 2500 4x4, but am really torn with the engine option. I m sure the Cummins is way more than I need, anybody pulling that load with the Hemi that can give me mileage #s? Actually any input on the subject would be great.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 AM
AZZO540
Veteran

you just open an intersting can. i say buy both.
nah i have seen ppl pull 10k on hemi but tech should be more for cummins and i own a hemi and will tow with it.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 AM
bartvandenberg
Professional

I would go cummins hands down.

They generally get much better mileage, WAYYY more torque, and the simplest things crank up your HP and torque very easily. Just add a programmer, and you've got +100hp easy.

Double that with the 6 speed manual, and you've got MY dream truck!

Towing with the auto tranny's in the older model's (02-04) is something I personally would'nt recommend. the tranny's were not built to tow. the later 5 speed auto was a much better tranny.

Some on here will argue that all they like because they've gotten lucky and their tranny hasnt died yet, but I know a very good handful of guys (if not 2) who own those years, who tow and plow with there trucks, and have the tranny rebuilt like every year.

Did i already say... hands down get a cummins with manual tranny.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

towing 7000#'s 2-4 times a year get the hemi, more than 4 times a year get the cummins

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
bamataco
Veteran

I have owned both. I can pull that much with my Hemi. But I think the deciding factor should be how often do you tow that load. If you tow it often no doubt about it a Cummins is definately the way to go.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

Id get the cummins period. It even gets better fuel mileage crusing around town. Expect the hemi to get 5-8 mpg towing and 3 up hills. I used to tow a 25ft tow hauler fully loaded around 6k pounds and it did it fine but it sucked the gas. Now tow it with a 7.3 powerstroke and it's not even back there and now get 15mpg towing. There really is no comparison between gas and diesel. Id get the 5.9 cummins though, just so you dont have to deal with DPF and all the emissions stuff. I don't know about dodge but the 7.3 powerstrokes didn't even come with a cat.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Diesel = Very expensive
Hemi = Good HP/Tq and relatively low cost.

Since you plan to tow just a few times a year, I say get a Hemi and save yourself thousands. You want 3:92 gears or higher.
I've pulled 7,000lbs a number of times and was regularly getting 11-12mpg.
If you decided to re-gear to 4:56's you would get much better mileage while towing heavier loads.
I have 3:92's w/33" rubber. 7,000lbs I could certainly feel it, but in no way was it too much for the Hemi.

Everyone is gonna say diesel, diesel, diesel, but there are many downsides that most don't even consider. Tough trying to find a place that will even work on them.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I pull about 7700 lbs. in tractor, rough cut and dual axle trailer about 3 or 4 times a year. Only have to pull it about 30 miles each way. I'll average about 8 or 9 mpg with my truck. Pulls it fine on the flat terrain of south Georgia.
If I did it more often, say once or twice a month or had to go a greater distance, I'd have purchased a CTD.

I'm with 'dog on this one, if it's an occasional thing, the Hemi will do fine. Really about the same as your 5.9. Even though the Hemi has 100 more HP, the torque is relatively close between the two engines, so don't expect the Hemi to be a better tow/haul truck. But if you are satisfied with your 5.9, you'll be satisfied with a Hemi.

If you pull it often, very far or put a LOT of miles on your truck in general, then you'd be a perfect candidate for a CTD...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Matt99
Champion

Im with Dog and Hammer also, a CTD has more drawbacks other than initial cost. Maintenance on them is ridiculous, both price and time. They get better mileage but diesel is harder to find and more expensive. Normal run of the mill mechanics cant work on em.

They do offer better towing, better life, and easier HP....but do you tow enough to reap the benefits of the CTD? I say get a Hemi and regear it, and you would still be WAY under what a CTD would cost.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

After actually having a diesel, there's not that much different in price for maintenance compared to gas. Yea the oil changes are 3 gallons but the oil you use is just the regular kind, nothing synthetic. The price of fuel is easily made up in the MPG. You can do all the math you want that suggests otherwise but in the real world diesel is cheaper to operate. Then theres the price of the truck itself but in your case you are buying used and a couple years older which is going to be less than a new hemi if you were to buy one. Im just saying from experience, I would go diesel way before gas even if its not a dodge. Not to mention putting a programmer on it and smoking any hemi out there (majority of them) then driving home getting 20mpg.

Quick Reply: Hemi vs Cummins