3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

LED Tailgate Lightbar

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:44 AM
mptoad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tailgate Lightbar

hey all!
Been a little while since I have checked in but its great to be back! Now to the point....

Wife is getting me one of these(http://www.plasmaglow.com/firestorm-led-tailgate-bar/) for Christmas...

I really dont know much of anything about automotive wiring and in order to work correctly with all its functions this has to be hard wired...
Here are the install instructions supplied with it (http://www.plasmaglow.com/install/install_firestorm.pdf).

Has anyone else installed one of these on a 2007 1500 QC, and would be willing to give me some tips? As I said, I really dont know much about wiring and am not looking forward to the task of blindly going at the wiring of my tail lights with a multimeter to figure out which wire is which. Any help would be much appreicated. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
herring_jerritt
Veteran

most people get the one that just plugs into your trailer 4-way, then you only have to worry about the reverse lights which is a quick splice into that wire, it says on there that if you want to 4way to order (Part # 10999) with the light bar, that would make it easy. it look me 5 min to put mine on.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive never seen one on ANY ride that wasnt loose and hanging crooked or had LEDs that were out.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
mptoad
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ive never seen one on ANY ride that wasnt loose and hanging crooked or had LEDs that were out.
I see many on a daily basis that are still in perfect shape after long term use.... probley has to do with mounting it correctly and in the correct location in the first place..... which is way I was looking for some advice on how to properly wire it....... not just to be told your opinion about them.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Wiring is simplistic. Longevity is the issue at hand for most people.

Wiring? One wire to ground. One wire to the 12+ wire of your tail light. Just t-tap it or use 3M heat shrink butt splices.

if you need to know exactly what wire is what and cant use a VOM or test light then yuo can download the service manuals listed in my signature link and look at the wiring schematics. Honestly though, a test light is pretty simple.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is so messed up it isn't funny. Left blinker works, right blinker lights up the middle section of lights (didn't even know that was possible) ANd break does the entire bar if I remember correctly. Its just sitting on the truck unplugged now...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I gotta say, every one I see out there has LEDs out as well. Dunno why though, I mean LEDs are sposed to last like forever. I got a good buddy who had an LED sign business, real high end, like TV quality signs out in the weather. Some out there for 15 years or so without a single LED out. So I don't know why they can't get them to last 6 months on some of these trucks?

Hopefully, that one is a little higher end and lasts...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I forgot those things have two halves that blink with the turn signals. Either way, the ground would be the same. Do you have a diagram or schematic you can post? Then we can help you wire it more easily.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 AM
mptoad
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I forgot those things have two halves that blink with the turn signals. Either way, the ground would be the same. Do you have a diagram or schematic you can post? Then we can help you wire it more easily.
I dont have hands on the light bar yet.... wifes making me wait till Christmas However, in my original post, there is a link to the install instructions that states which wire on the bar is suppose to be connected to what. I guess the answer I was really hoping for was something like, "oh ya, the postive lead for the right turn signal is the (insert color here) wire..." or something along those lines. That is assuming that the wires leading to these assemblies are color coded. If they aren't, then I guess theres not much else to do besides digging in with the test light.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

BROWN – Connect to Ground or the – Terminal on your Battery.
PURPLE – Connect to a Constant 12V+ Signal or the + Terminal on your Battery
ORANGE – Splice in with the Positive Lead going to your Brake Light
GREEN – Splice in with the Positive Lead going to your Left Turn Signal
YELLOW – Splice in with the Positive Lead going to your Right Turn Signal
BLUE – Splice in with the Positive Lead going to your Reverse Lights
RED – Splice in with the Positive Lead going to your Running Lights

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown goes to the frame ground. No need to go all the way to the battery.

Purple does as it says and goes to a constant 12v. You might find one in your trailer harness plug back there.

Orange goes to a 18ga wht/tan wire on the left brake light assembly. (page 3018)

Green goes to a 18ga wht/dr grn wire on the left turn light assembly. (page 3018)

Yellow goes to 18ga wht/ylw wire on the right turn light assembly. (page 3019)

Blue goes to either a 18ga wht/lt grn wire on the left reverse light or a 18ga wht/lt grn on the right reverse light. (page 3018/3019)

Red goes a 18ga wht/ylw wire on the license plate lights. (page 3015)

Before you do ANYTHING, you need to download the 06 (yes 06) Service Manual and look at those pages. You also need to TEST EACH wire listed above to make sure they are the wires you want before cutting or tapping them. Do the wrong thing and screw up that TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) and you will wish you had not.

Quick Reply: LED Tailgate Lightbar