3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster Failed after only 4 years!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a mathmatical wizard, but I read some where that back pressure was an intrigal part of the performance of any motor. That was one of the reasons I chose flowmaster, 50 series. It was as close too stock, and seeing as I was omitting one of the resonators, I was gaining flow albeit a little, anyways. The cost was also a factor. Aluminised systems are not the best; They will rust, that being said, the failure pictured in this thread also seams stress related. I'm happy with the sound and looks And I know I'm not the only one. Is flowmaster the best? Not by a long shot. But it still holds a viable alternative to the modding individual. if only for a few years.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
I'm not a mathmatical wizard, but I read some where that back pressure was an intrigal part of the performance of any motor. That was one of the reasons I chose flowmaster, 50 series. It was as close too stock, and seeing as I was omitting one of the resonators, I was gaining flow albeit a little, anyways. The cost was also a factor. Aluminised systems are not the best; They will rust, that being said, the failure pictured in this thread also seams stress related. I'm happy with the sound and looks And I know I'm not the only one. Is flowmaster the best? Not by a long shot. But it still holds a viable alternative to the modding individual. if only for a few years.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

BACKPRESSURE IS ENGINE INEFFICIENCY AND IS NEVER A GOOD THING FOR PERFORMANCE.

Anyone who says "backpressure increases torque" is full of sh*t. Backpressure forces the PCM to dump more fuel into the mix at lower rpm in an attempt to push exhaust gasses out of the cylinders against the force of backpressure. This is where the "impression" of better low end torque due to backpressure comes from, but in reality you are losing engine efficiency AND more importantly fuel economy due to backpressure.

This has been an argument between people who believe everything they hear or read and performance gurus for years.

This is a pretty good article on backpressure:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm thats a good article. I think our trucks adjust the fuel curve also, right?

I definitely felt this so called torque increase when I put the magnaflow on instead of my straits. I was wondering why my gas mileage actually went down, and now I know

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matt99
hmm thats a good article. I think our trucks adjust the fuel curve also, right?

I definitely felt this so called torque increase when I put the magnaflow on instead of my straits. I was wondering why my gas mileage actually went down, and now I know

I dunno when this sh*t about backpressure being a necessary thing started. I know when I was a yonker in the late '70s/early '80s my uncle and grandfather were both mechanics by trade and my uncle and father worked at the local track as mechanics on weekends and back then backpressure was the devil (Bobby Bochet, LOL).
Then all of a sudden you needed it for low end torque. I think it got started when so many people started cutting out their cats. Prolly a govt. thing to get people to conform to emissions.
But backpressure is NOT your friend. There are proper ways to increase low end torque without sacrificing efficiency and mid/high performance that does not include choking off your exhaust system to make your engine work harder at low rpms (hence why you feel more torque).

This is not a dig on Flowmaster mufflers alone (they have enough issues we can pick on). Any chambered muffler design restricts flow to some degree...

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
rocket23
Champion

Like I wrote, I thought I read it somewhere,That doesn't mean I condone it. However being a newbie, I didn't want to f^%k up the truck with emission bullshlt. ie ;sensor readings. So I went with flowmaster BECAUSE they almost matched the restriction to stock. Not knowing, is not a reason for being mislead, by the govt. or otherwise. But thats only one ''WRONG''. Where are the other two? (from my post)??
Thanks Hammer btw , good read.....

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

BACKPRESSURE IS ENGINE INEFFICIENCY AND IS NEVER A GOOD THING FOR PERFORMANCE.

Anyone who says "backpressure increases torque" is full of sh*t.

This is a pretty good article on backpressure:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
I'm not driving a BMW. But I'm guessing they are using the same technology as everyone else includung chrysler.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You didn't and I wasn't picking on you, but I keep reading over and over and over how beneficial backpressure is in post after post (and not just on this forum) and I threw the extra "wrongs" in for emphasis. I did not mean YOU were full of sh*t, but that the places you and everyone else who are getting this misinformation is...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You didn't and I wasn't picking on you, but I keep reading over and over and over how beneficial backpressure is in post after post (and not just on this forum) and I threw the extra "wrongs" in for emphasis. I did not mean YOU were full of sh*t, but that the places you and everyone else who are getting this misinformation is...
For a minute there I thought I was COMPLETELY full of shlt! lmao! it's all good Hammer.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocket is full of ****

Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Matt99
Rocket is full of ****
I knew there was a reason for my brown eyes............

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Failed after only 4 years!