3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitto Mud Grappler or Toyo Open Country Mt

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I hadn't heard many bad reports about the Pro Comp "X" series tires, but man, the original A/Ts and M/Ts sucked *****. Pro Comp doesn't make anything with their brand on it, all of their stuff is contracted and re-branded. I think they got a new manufacturer for the "X" series...
^
Yeah, I picked up some Pro Comp A/Ts just because I got all 4 of those 35s for 200, but those tires I would not recommend =\

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Josh E
Professional

I'm having good luck with my Kumho KL-71's so far...thought i'd throw it out there

Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Jake283
Rookie

Originally Posted by Marx
i'm really liking my trail grapplers

How long have you had them?? and is your truck leveled or does it have a lift??

Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
dave-o
Veteran

pro comp is owned by cooper, which owns mickey thompson, and dick cepek. 40 k warranty, cant go wrong.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
pro comp is owned by cooper, which owns mickey thompson, and dick cepek. 40 k warranty, cant go wrong.

I don't think so. Can you document this?

Last I knew, Cooper Tire is a Corporation, commonly traded on worldwide stock exchanges and Pro Comp USA was an independently owned company whose chief business was making suspension systems around 1990. They got into the tire and wheel market in the late '90s by outsourcing their tires and wheels from many different manufacturers.

That's not to say that Cooper doesn't manufacture some Pro Comp tires. I've seen Plant Codes on the sides of Xterrains that designate Cooper as the manufacturer, but I've also seen Plant Codes on the Xtreme A/T that designate a Chinese manufacturer.

I also know for a fact that their Revolution series of Wheels are re-branded Eagle Alloys...

Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM
dave-o
Veteran

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...-Xtreme-MT.htm
Procomp Tires are made by the Cooper Tire & Rubber Company
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company is a global company specializing in the design, manufacture and sales of passenger car, light truck, medium truck, motorcycle and racing tires, as well as tread rubber and related equipment for the retread industry. With headquarters in Findlay, Ohio, Cooper Tire has 39 manufacturing, sales, distribution, technical and design facilities around the world.
Pro Comp Tires are made in the USA. Using advanced polymer science, ProComp has created advanced rubber compounds for use in their Pro Comp Tires. These advanced rubber compounds are combined with steel and polyester cords to produce high performance tires. The unique tread pattern of ProComp tires provides outstanding traction for the off road enthusiast, as well as great performance in mud or snow. ProComp tires also add that extra grab and longevity for everyday driving.
Cooper Tire - Findlay, Ohio
Pro Competition Tire Company
Corporate and Tire Headquarters

Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I see it says Pro Comp tires are made by Cooper, which I will and have conceded, (NOT ALL ARE) but most of the "X" series is. They also do not make the original A/T and M/T tire.
I had already stated that Pro Comp changed manufacturers with the "X" series to a better one. But you said Cooper owns Pro Comp. I do not see where your quote says they do...

This is the company information I can find for Pro Comp:

Since 1992, Pro Comp USA has been manufacturing high-quality, durable products for on and off road enthusiasts including tires, wheels, suspensions, shocks, and more. Suspension systems were our original foundation and they continue to be one of our strongest departments as we develop innovative new suspensions to this day.
Starting in 1998 we took on tires and have since become one of the top tire-manufacturing contenders in the aftermarket industry. This has been supported by the release of our Pro Comp wheels in 2001, designed to be the strongest steel and cast wheels in the market.

I can find where 4 Wheel Parts purchased an interest in the company, but I can't find anything in Coopers company holding listings that says they have ever acquired Pro Comp USA.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but you got my curiosity up when you said Cooper owned Pro Comp. Because I had never heard it and one of my best friends owns a small tire store chain, is direct with Cooper and can't get Pro Comps from them. He can get Mickey's & Cepeks, but not Pro Comp...

I guess we got way off the OPs original question though, since he only wanted to know about Nitto & Toyo tires (who are the same company, btw). Sorry Jake, I don't know how the hell Pro Comps got into this thread, LOL...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-25-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 AM
spirito

I just put a set of toyo open country m/t on my truck! These tires are awesome on dry pavement, they grip the road like no other tier I've ever seen! The are awesome in the rain and crazy in the snow! We just got 15" in Boston and I never even had to use 4 wheel drive! These tires are great, and HAMMERz71 they aren't too bad with the road noise. They only get a little loud when turning and for anyone trying to get the biggest tires on their stock ram, try a 285/75/17r they measure out to a bit larger than a 34" I just put them on my 05 1500 and have had no problems with rubbing or anything'

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Jake283
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I see it says Pro Comp tires are made by Cooper, which I will and have conceded, (NOT ALL ARE) but most of the "X" series is. They also do not make the original A/T and M/T tire.
I had already stated that Pro Comp changed manufacturers with the "X" series to a better one. But you said Cooper owns Pro Comp. I do not see where your quote says they do...

This is the company information I can find for Pro Comp:

Since 1992, Pro Comp USA has been manufacturing high-quality, durable products for on and off road enthusiasts including tires, wheels, suspensions, shocks, and more. Suspension systems were our original foundation and they continue to be one of our strongest departments as we develop innovative new suspensions to this day.
Starting in 1998 we took on tires and have since become one of the top tire-manufacturing contenders in the aftermarket industry. This has been supported by the release of our Pro Comp wheels in 2001, designed to be the strongest steel and cast wheels in the market.

I can find where 4 Wheel Parts purchased an interest in the company, but I can't find anything in Coopers company holding listings that says they have ever acquired Pro Comp USA.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but you got my curiosity up when you said Cooper owned Pro Comp. Because I had never heard it and one of my best friends owns a small tire store chain, is direct with Cooper and can't get Pro Comps from them. He can get Mickey's & Cepeks, but not Pro Comp...

I guess we got way off the OPs original question though, since he only wanted to know about Nitto & Toyo tires (who are the same company, btw). Sorry Jake, I don't know how the hell Pro Comps got into this thread, LOL...

Lol dont worry about it hammer. and i think i may go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers but idk i still like the Toyo's lol it hard to choose. but i think the trail grapplers might last a little bit longer

Quick Reply: Nitto Mud Grappler or Toyo Open Country Mt