3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

AT3030xl too loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
chefred112
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayjma
hmm might have to look at dumping it then. any thoughts on why this would be quieter? i don't have to worry about emissons tests where i am so it could stay dumped all the time. i'm eager to hear how it is towing but unfortunately we got a ton of snow to go before i can test that
i think it has to do with resonance..the more piping, the more resonance. you have to find that happy medium, when i did the flow I had it dumped right after muffler..no drone, but loud in cab...my brother in law had a mag dumped the same way, wife got mad about how loud it was and so he had the dump extended to over the axle and i swear he dropped half the noise. This prompted me to do the same with my old mag (I liked the sound better then the flow) which produced the same result.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM
chefred112
All Star

Originally Posted by Razorhawg
you guys are making it sound like a at3030 is louder than a flowmaster 40.... i thought the complete opposite myself that being said ive never heard a at3030 in person just in sound clips
i've ridden in a 3030 equipped truck...sounds nice and loud on the outside, and it's much louder inside the cab then mine...a little too loud for me...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

The 3030 or 3030XL are great sounding mufflers, but you have to keep the resonator on if you want to knock out the drone or dump as Fred suggested.

My setup exits in the stock location. I have a Magnaflow Y-pipe (replaces pinched stock Y), 3030XL positioned just under the bed and stock rear resonator. Sounds aggressive under part throttle and WOT. Idle is relatively tame, but you know there's an aftermarket muffler. No drone anywhere.

Start up and idle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovXuUurngQ

Part throttle driving with windows up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_QHEjMQCzc[/url]

Sil

Quick Reply: AT3030xl too loud