3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2500/3500 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500/3500 Hemi

I have seen quite a few posts lately basically saying that the Hemi motor is a little underpowered for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup, and quite honestly I really don't understand why. I suppose it may be for a mega cab I guess due to the much added size and weight, but I cant comment about that as I have never been in one (let alone driven one).

My truck seems to zip around with plenty enough power for my likings. While I agree that my mileage may suffer a little in comparison to you half ton guys due to the added weight of the bigger truck, the motor still has plenty of power to propel this truck around... even while towing.

When I compare my previous truck (2nd gen, half ton, regular cab, short box, 4x4 with a 360) to my new truck there is no comparison in power... the Hemi will smoke the 2nd gen, even with the extreme difference in overall truck size/weight.

Hell, out of curiosity, is there hardly even a difference in overall weight of a 3/4 ton quad cab vs the half ton quad cab? 400, 500, 600... 1000 pounds? Anyone know for sure?

Anyway, I just thought I would throw my first hand, super dooper professional opinion out there about the Hemi 2500/3500's. For those wanting a 3/4 ton truck yet not being able to justify the $10,000 option for the Cummins, do not shy away from the Hemi... especially if you are not always towing.

I love my pickup. One thing I don't like though... don't expect much over 12 MPG, and if it is a Hemi mega cab it will be even worse.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I looked at a 3/4 ton when I bought, actually both a CTD and a Hemi. I couldn't justify the CTD because the heaviest thing I pulled at the time was a 2500# bass boat/motor/trailer and I only put about 8k miles a year on my truck. The biggest factor was they wouldn't discount the CTD a penny (as a matter of fact all three dealers I went to had ADDED $2500 to the sticker for some stupid "adjusted market value" rip-off!)
The 2500 I looked at was about the same price (on the sticker) as the 1500 I ended up buying. The 2500 was an SLT and the 1500 was a Laramie. Dealer was willing to knock about $3000 off either on his end. The difference was that 1500 series trucks had another $3000 in rebates AND another $1500 in rebate IF financed thru Chrysler. These additional $4500 in rebates WERE NOT available on the 2500. Combined with the much nicer interior in the Laramie package, I opted for the 1500.

In hind-site, I wish I would have bought the 2500 Hemi. My 2nd Gen Ram 1500 had a SFA and was plenty of truck for me. The 3rd Gen went to IFS and I've been hampered by the IFS in just about everything I've wanted to do to this truck since day one.

As far as power goes, the Hemi has PLENTY of HP for a 3/4 ton pickup. The problem is not HP, but rather Torque. Not that the engine doesn't have enough, but like the HP it kicks in rather high in the RPM band for a full size truck. So the perception is that the truck is underpowered.
I've said it in many posts before. The Hemi is not a real efficient truck engine in it's stock form. To make that engine work across such a wide platform (trucks, touring cars, sports cars, SUVs) many concessions were made. It's actually much better suited for a sports car than a truck.
The engine has plenty of displacement and can be made into a much better truck engine. Gears are a great "band aid" for this and better low end cam is a really good fix.

In stock form, it's ok for a 2500, if you don't tow or haul heavy or often. In a Mega-Cab, I think it's really hampered unless you modify it quite a bit. I think anyone looking into a Mega just needs to look at a CTD...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-11-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ask MegaBlackTank about his 5.7 MC and see how he likes it and the fuel mileage that comes with a heavier truck.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:49 PM
BigBlueGa
Amateur

I agree with Hammer, Mega should be CTD all the way. With an '06 Mega 4x4 and a 5.7, this engine is undersized for a Mega Cab. Fuel mileage? What is that? I go with fuel footage.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
bamataco
Veteran

Olyelr For comparison sakes my truck is an 07,1500, quad cab, 4X4, Hemi, with most of the options that you can get on one of these trucks. My truck weighs right about 5700 pounds. What does your truck weigh?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

A 2500 Quad Cab, short bed, 4X4 will weigh in the ball park of 6,150 pounds (depending on options). A 2500/3500 4X4 has aerodynamics working against them. Solid front axle and raised ride height compared to the 1500.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

changing gears(4.56's) will improve the 2500 hemi...It felt like the truck lost about 4000lbs.....best mode to date.....even with 37" tires

Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bamataco
Olyelr For comparison sakes my truck is an 07,1500, quad cab, 4X4, Hemi, with most of the options that you can get on one of these trucks. My truck weighs right about 5700 pounds. What does your truck weigh?
IDK, I wish I knew. I will have to run up to the scrap yard one of these days I guess.

Originally Posted by Powerubi Wacon
A 2500 Quad Cab, short bed, 4X4 will weigh in the ball park of 6,150 pounds (depending on options). A 2500/3500 4X4 has aerodynamics working against them. Solid front axle and raised ride height compared to the 1500.
That was my though exactly... moreso than the slight weight difference, I think the MPG decrease (from a 1500 to a 2500) is due to the added wind resistance from the taller stance and front axle hanging down.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

As far as power goes, the Hemi has PLENTY of HP for a 3/4 ton pickup. The problem is not HP, but rather Torque. Not that the engine doesn't have enough, but like the HP it kicks in rather high in the RPM band for a full size truck. So the perception is that the truck is underpowered.
I've said it in many posts before. The Hemi is not a real efficient truck engine in it's stock form. To make that engine work across such a wide platform (trucks, touring cars, sports cars, SUVs) many concessions were made. It's actually much better suited for a sports car than a truck.
The engine has plenty of displacement and can be made into a much better truck engine. Gears are a great "band aid" for this and better low end cam is a really good fix.

Yeah, I have noticed that if you want the motor to "really talk" you have to get into the RPM's quite a bit. Personally, I like my usable power in the low RPM's... but at least there is some power somewhere.

My previous 5.9 seamed to have better low end power, but was nowhere near the upper end power of the Hemi. That being said, the Hemi pushes this large 2500 quad cab around WAY better than the old 360 did with my small half ton... almost seams effortless.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
bamataco
Veteran

That was my though exactly... moreso than the slight weight difference, I think the MPG decrease (from a 1500 to a 2500) is due to the added wind resistance from the taller stance and front axle hanging down.

I agree that must be the biggest reason for the differance in mileage. Because I don't think that a 450 approx. pound differance is all that much.

Quick Reply: 2500/3500 Hemi