3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
BigTXRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CB extreme. I keep with it cause the sound it gives the truck reminds me of old skool muscle cars. The MDS kicking in and out is something I had to get use to but would have been the case with any muffler I went with. I had the extreme on my 03 hemi as well and it sounded awesome. The 4.7's I understand dont have the MDS so you wouldn't have that problem.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
slimvela
Professional

I chose to go with CB Vortex Cat-Back, but alas it was on backorder. So instead I went with a brand I have used on my previous vehicles, Dynomax after I found the Ultra Flo Cat-Back SS system on clearance price thru Summit.

Be sure to get a good look at the stock y, my '02 4.7 is not crimped...lucky me!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Thanks BigTX, that's a good comparison. I love the way 60s and 70s muscle cars sounded
I couldn't help but notice that a LOT of people on here cite GF/wife as a deciding factor in your exhaust... is it her truck and/or is she paying for it? LoL that's an off-topic discussion though...

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 03-15-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: stupid EVO
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
08hemisunburt

I know this isnt either of these but I got the flowmaster 40 dumped. This mother is loud and it was only 160 installed. I know this doent help you but I though I would share.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by 08hemisunburt
I know this isnt either of these but I got the flowmaster 40 dumped. This mother is loud and it was only 160 installed. I know this doent help you but I though I would share.
I had originally considered the Flows, until I did some research and found that the CFM from those mufflers is really bad. They sound good, sure, but they aren't "all that" performance-wise.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
JDG103
Veteran

im telling you CB extreme is the way to go...its a nice loud sounding muffler and quiets itself out when your on the hwy

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM
08hemisunburt

yea I went with it more for the sound than the proformance. I love the sound of these dumped.BBBUUUTTT I see the Cherry bomb ex. Can be picked up at Autozone or pepboys for about 50 bucks. I wouldnt mind tryin one.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by JDG103
im telling you CB extreme is the way to go...its a nice loud sounding muffler and quiets itself out when your on the hwy
I'm really starting to lean that way, although I was baffled by the fact that the larger Vortex model actually flows more CFM. Weird.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I'm really starting to lean that way, although I was baffled by the fact that the larger Vortex model actually flows more CFM. Weird.

My guess is the winged plate in the Extreme is the difference, the is NO redirection of exhaust at all in the Vortex. But the CFM difference between the two is pretty small.

Do a search on here for Pyro's YouTube vid of his Extreme which exits on the side of his truck. He has a 4.7 also, so it should give you a pretty good idea.

I've got a vid around here somewhere too, but I have a Hemi and long tube headers, so it won't sound the same...

Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
My guess is the winged plate in the Extreme is the difference, the is NO redirection of exhaust at all in the Vortex. But the CFM difference between the two is pretty small.

Do a search on here for Pyro's YouTube vid of his Extreme which exits on the side of his truck. He has a 4.7 also, so it should give you a pretty good idea.

I've got a vid around here somewhere too, but I have a Hemi and long tube headers, so it won't sound the same...
Thanks so much! I found the video, and OMG! Can't believe that sound was coming from a 4.7
Those are the exact tips I want to get as well. He literally has the exact setup I've been looking for. I'm excited for payday now!

**edit**
Actually, there's still one question unanswered. Will I benefit at all from simply removing the "Y" and using the 2.5" dual in/out muffler instead of the 3" in 2.5" dual out? I'm assuming yes, but I would like confirmation before pulling the trigger on this.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 03-16-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: content

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb