3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

More pipe to hang, not stainless like stock so it will rust. Personally, I would put a good stainless Y in place of thew stock one and leave the stainless pipe. I left mine all stock until the Magnaflow cat-back. I didn't use the provided mid pipe because it is for the 06/07 with a front resonator and our 08 doesn't have one.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
More pipe to hang, not stainless like stock so it will rust. Personally, I would put a good stainless Y in place of thew stock one and leave the stainless pipe. I left mine all stock until the Magnaflow cat-back. I didn't use the provided mid pipe because it is for the 06/07 with a front resonator and our 08 doesn't have one.
Everything coming out is being replaced with SS. I'm not letting them put crappy tubing down there that I'll have to replace in two years because it's full of holes!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

So after stopping by the exhaust shop and talking with one of the techs, I decided to ditch the "Y" and go straight into a dual in/out Magnaflow 11379. Got the muffler for $88 shipped, and the install will come to $270 including the two rectangular tips. Can't wait until next Friday!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Got everything but the tips installed on Friday. Turns out that the 11379 is not an "X" on the inside. There's honeycomb between the two sides, but they don't cross side-to-side. I can't even hear it inside the cab at idle, but it sounds pretty good otherwise, though a bit "fluttery".

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Is it just me, or are those exits a little far apart? If you wanted it like that cool, but I think they'd look better a little tighter.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbull24
Is it just me, or are those exits a little far apart? If you wanted it like that cool, but I think they'd look better a little tighter.
I'm thinking he's going for the "Gibson" type rectangular tips which need that spacing. Because of their shape, they'll end up just about touching.

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I can't even hear it inside the cab at idle, but it sounds pretty good otherwise, though a bit "fluttery".
The Maggies almost never drone in the cab, even on MDS Hemis. I think you made a good choice. I prefer the sound of the Cherry Bombs, myself, but I can go under and cut/reweld another muffler in anytime myself with minimal cost. Since you were paying for it to be done, going all stainless right down to the Maggie muffler will cost you less in the long run...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'm thinking he's going for the "Gibson" type rectangular tips which need that spacing. Because of their shape, they'll end up just about touching.
Yessir. Once the tips are installed, they're going to be very close to each other.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The Maggies almost never drone in the cab, even on MDS Hemis. I think you made a good choice. I prefer the sound of the Cherry Bombs, myself, but I can go under and cut/reweld another muffler in anytime myself with minimal cost. Since you were paying for it to be done, going all stainless right down to the Maggie muffler will cost you less in the long run...
I did like the sound clips of the Cherry Bombs better, as far as I can tell from the clips anyway, but I'm certainly not unhappy with the way it is right now. I am glad I waited for the 11" muffler instead of the 22" he had on-hand when I first went in though. I don't think I would have been happy with that one.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb