3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2004 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
JasonG13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Transmission Issues

I have done some reading on here but i still cant figure out my transmission issue. i think the truck is in limp mode it all of the suddenly will not shift out of first while in D but if i am in second i can get it to shiift to 2nd by working the throttle. This problem just started and i had the fluid purged but i di change the filters so i am going to do that tomorrow. I pulled a code from the PCM and it PO732 Gear Ration in 2nd. What does this mean? What needs to be repaired? I having problems using the search feature on this forum. Is it broken? Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it means that the PCM is seeing 2nd gear is slipping. Probably starting to go.
You might pull the pan and make sure one of the filters didn't fall off.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM
JasonG13

I do need to check the filters but i think i have an electrical issue from the things that i have read on this forum. The has thrown a few more codes also PO736 & P1772 i believe. How do i determine if it could be a solenoid or a speed sensor?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
JasonG13

I changed the filters yesterday and the fluid smelled a bit burnt even though i just had it changed. I have cleared the codes and i am going to see if the issues still exist. I found out that i was getting all of the gear codes. I cant believe that the trans would just go out that quickly. One day it was fine and the next day it was junk.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats how a lot of things happen. Not everything in life gives you a warning before it chits on you. Do a search on the site for trans related issues that have P07xx codes and you will see how many of those had to have it rebuilt or replaced.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
jmgak47

ATF+4 smells burned even when new.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 AM
JasonG13

Update: Since i wasnt successfull diagnosing the problem with the DTC's i decided to take it to the shop. The called be back and said the trans was 6 quarts low on fluid! I find that hard to believe but anyhing is possible i guess. He also said that the line pressure was low but i could have told him that from what the truck doing. They also said that they need to drop the trans and inspect it to figure out what the issue is for 2200$. I said i'll pass and contacted another shop and have them take a look at it. The guy didnt even charge me for the diagnostics 60$ so i was like what the hell did they do to diagnose the problem? I feel a little more comfortable talking to the new guys and they said if they have to reubuild it the cost would be 1600$. I am waiting to hear from the new shop. Keep you posted.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 AM
jmgak47

Do not rebuild the trans, 545RFE's rebuilds are known to fail if done my your avg trans shop. Go with a junkyard trans or a built trans buy a reputable place.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard bad hints about a trans fluid purge, a very minute particle can jam up your valve body and wreak havoc. Even a piece of lint off a shop towel.

How could you be 6 quarts low if you had just changed the filters? Did you follow proper fill pro reduces or just dump in x quarts?

You can try some things on your own, the solenoid pack, speed sensors (even just a cleaning, pressure sensor, filters etc, and if that does not work then look for a used tranny as mentioned, put new filters & fluid in of course (do not reuse the sump filter ring, the slightest leak can also cause issues).

Good luck.

Last edited by Owensue; 04-24-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
JasonG13

I do not know of any particular fill procedure other to put the truck in nuetral while it running and add fluid as needed. Is there a preffered way? The first shop that i went to was total BS. There is no way i could have been six quarts low becasue i added back what i took out while doing the filter change. The shop that it is at now appears to be much better becuase they were knowledgable about the solenoids and sensors possibly going out and they also mentioned that they do not think the trans needs to be rebuilt. Hopefully i will hear something tomorrow and provide an update.

Quick Reply: 2004 Transmission Issues