3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
blyttle72
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail Damage

Hey guys,
My 2008 Dodge Ram received some bad hail damage during the storms last Wedensday along with my other cars. Incredibly, the Ram was the only one with no broken glass. It is also the only car that we have that is currently drivable.
Anyone here ever get a car repaired after a hail storm? What can I possibly expect? The only straight panel on the truck is the tail gate. I'll post pics when the sun comes up tomorrow. I am going to the insurance company on Monday and I want to be prepared.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

I still consider myself very lucky. The only damage that we recieved was to our vehicles and house. No one in my family was hurt.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They can rebody the truck. That way you can keep your lifetime powertrain warranty if you bought it new.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:52 PM
truegent81
Captain

sorry to hear that..along with all the other crap that is a result of these insane storms. i really have no advice from an insurance standpoint. i know some places do paintless dent repair and you can have them do an estimate prior to talking with insurance. once they give an estimate, you can contact insurance co and more than likely just pay a deductible..at least that was my most recent dealing with body shop and ins co. best of luck

Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looked like a golf ball and paintless dent removal did it all. When I got it back it looked like it never happened.

If the paint is cracked then all bets are off and you'll probably be getting a new truck. There was egg and tennis ball sized hail just north of me but luckily I didn't get anything.

I bought my truck in Ringgold GA and I'd be surprised if the dealership is still standing after this week's weather.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been lucky, been living between Georgia and Florida and I've never had hail damage. This line of storms went thru Thursday, had guys reporting major hail damage just 6 miles north of me, but nothing here...

Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the damage. My parents went through a tornado about 20 years ago. Its stressful while getting recovered but their houlse was better than before. Not sure if that will be the case for your truck but you might get a complete paint job out of it. Hope this weather settles down by June we are camping in Chattanooga and Pigeon Forge in early June.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
truegent81
Captain

Yeah it should. The spring is just volatile bc of warm spring air pushing cold winter air out. There's my OT two cents. And I love the p forge and gatlinburg area.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Geezir
Veteran

My truck was recently damaged in a hail storm as well (roof, hood, and cracked windshield)....the estimate to just repair the roof was $800-$1000.

I just said **** it since most of the dents are in my roof and nobody ever sees the roof of my truck.

However like mentioned paintless dent removal should be able to fix it up for you..it's just not always a cheap process.

Call your insurance company on Monday and see what your policy covers. I didn't have hail coverage in my policy (since we get hail once ever 10 years here) so my claim would have gone through my basic comprehensive coverage and after paying my $1000 deductible my rate would have increased even more then it already is.

Might want to get a few quotes before you call your insurance company and make sure you ask them how it's going to affect your policy.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Razorhawg
Veteran

we had golf ball and egg and even some baseball size here the other day luckily the only car hurt was my moms ford focus $4500 worth of damage

happened to be a day where i was off work and stopped by my parents house i heard about the storm and stuffed my truck where the focus usually goes

Name:  0421111353.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  0421111353a.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  103.3 KB

Quick Reply: Hail Damage