3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oil change and warrentee

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If it is a Hemi and not a MegaCab, then yes it has MDS. You must use 5w20. My dealer says Pennzoil is Chrysler recommended. It takes 7qts. Had mine done at the dealer today, cost me $21 with tax.
I do find it hard to believe that they can dictate that you have to take it to a shop for an oil change. The factory warranty doesn't even require that as long as you keep receipts for the oil and filter and mark the mileage at each oil change.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, like the LXman says, if it's on '06+ and it's a 1500 that's not a MegaCab then you have MDS. No option there.

MDS operation is dependent on proper oil viscosity. 5w20 is the oil to use. I use nothing but synthetics myself, although Dino oil is fine if you stick close to recommended change intervals.

BTW LX, funny your dealership recommends Pennzoil. Nothing wrong with it, but the Mopar branded oil is Valvoline...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the oil recommended on the filler cap. MDS was not an "option"; if the truck is '06 or newer, 1500, Hemi it got MDS. Yours is gonna want 5w-20. I use Pennzoil conventional in my C, Hi-Mileage in my Ram (112K today).

Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hammer, back during the bankruptcy deal, they couldn't get Mopar oil and said that Chrysler told them to use Pennzoil as a substitute.
I wasn't aware that Mopar oil was Valvoline. I know that Motorcraft oil was made by Citgo.

I saw a gallon just and 2qt bottles coming out of the parts dept for today's oil change and they were Pennzoil. The filter was Mopar.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by lxman1
Hammer, back during the bankruptcy deal, they couldn't get Mopar oil and said that Chrysler told them to use Pennzoil as a substitute.
I wasn't aware that Mopar oil was Valvoline. I know that Motorcraft oil was made by Citgo.

I saw a gallon just and 2qt bottles coming out of the parts dept for today's oil change and they were Pennzoil. The filter was Mopar.

Actually, it may not be anymore. I know it was Valvoline from Daimler days thru Cerberus ownership. I dunno for sure who's making Mopar branded oil nowadays. I know the filters that used to be 100% Champion Labs is now a bit of everybody, including Fram. Kinda like a box of chocolates, never know what you're going to get...

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yuck, Fram filters are crap.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive used Fram for years and never had any issues. Ive had rides with well over 100k on them and good compression and no major internal mechanical issues.

To each their own

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ive used Fram for years and never had any issues. Ive had rides with well over 100k on them and good compression and no major internal mechanical issues.

To each their own
I agree. I used Fram filters for years with no issues. This "Fram is crap... stuff" is crap.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I dunno, my old man always bought Fram filters wherever there was a filter used, be it oil, air or fuel. My Grandfather and uncle were mechanics by trade and the old man did it on the side for years.

But I've seen the guts pulled out and they are not up to par with most other filters. Could be it's more recent they cut costs, I have no idea, but I don't use them...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive seen them cut open too and lets please not turn this into another oil filter bashing thread but all Im going to say is Ive had no issues with them. I like those K&Ns and RPs and but Im not paying that much for them. I dont like paying what i do for the oil but if I start shredding metal in the engine Ive got bigger issues anyway and a filter is the least of my concern at that point.

Quick Reply: Oil change and warrentee