3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oil change and warrentee

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM
kschab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change and warrentee

Hey guys,
I have an 07 Ram Hemi and it just hit 82000kms. Shes due for an oil change now. I'm the kind of guy who likes to do things myself but iv never owned a vehicle this new with a warranty before. Just curious if anyone has ever had any problems with their warranty being voided if i were to change the oil myself. I have no idea whats been used in it right now but i plan to switch to a full synthetic cuz i see most of you do that at 6000kms new!

Thanks,
Kaldon

Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dunno about the laws up yonder (I'm assuming since you are using them KM thingy's that you're in Canada) but here, the law protects you if choosing NOT to use a dealer. Maintenance can even be performed yourself if you keep records and receipts without voiding warranty...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You should keep all the reciepts for your vehicle together. I keep mine in a small leather bifold in the glovebox. I write the exact mileage on the oil purchase receipt and initial.
Most waranty companies require the oil to be changed within manuf. recc. intervals and can deny if they prove neglected oil chang intervals caused the issue.
Synthetic or not, Manufacturers reccomended intervals is what they require from what I have found out about and read. Not everyone is the same.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For peace of mind, have someone do it who can provide a receipt. I have a local quick-lube place do my Mazda so there's a record of miles, vehicle and date. My oil, my filter. Just 'cause you have receipts for the oil and filter doesn't mean it was done on that car.

The cars that are out-of-warranty, I DIY.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have my dealer do mine. With coupons that Dodge emails me, they do it cheaper than I can buy 7qts of oil and a filter. Usually $18.95 for just an oil change or $29.95 with either a tire rotation or free wiper blades. Plus they have all of my service records since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. Going tomorrow to get mine done.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 AM
kschab

Thanks guys, I called the warranty company and they said everything must be done by a licensed shop so unfortunately cant do any work myself to this truck. I also spoke with my mechanic and he told me as long as I keep up with regular maintenance and oil changes that there would be no real point in switching to synthetics. Im still undecided on which oil to go with.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Synth FTW

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Boo Radley
Professional

your mechanic must have been trained in the 1960s. they rammed the use of synthetics down our throats when i went for asa certification and backed it up with all kinds of scientific data.
as far as warranty, in seven years as a mechanic at a dealership we never even questioned oil changes when it came to engine warranty work unless it was clear the oil was way old and looked like neglect was the cause in which case the service manager would ask for receipts. i know chrysler accepts receipts and you can do it yourself, at least chrysler usa.

third party warranty companies my want different and you gotta read your fine print with them. lot of bad experiences with customers cars and third party warranty companies. these companies are in business for one purpose and that's to make money and will use every loophole and fine print in contract to avoid paying or will make you take the cheapest repair parts when they can't weasle out of paying.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

It's a good idea to photo copy your recites, cash register slips seem to fade even when protected.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
kschab

Oh well thats not good, i paid an extra 2400$ for this extended warranty through secure drive which says it covers my truck top to bottom except for wear items like brake pads and tires. which oil would you recommend I use? Also iv heard both that MDS was an option and iv heard it was standard so im assuming my truck does have MDS? How do you know when its on or off? Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Oil change and warrentee