3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Help Choosing Oil & Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM
RustyRims92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Oil & Filter

It's nearly time to do the first oil change on my new (to me) 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Hemi and am looking for some recommendations on oil and filter choices. My primary concern is what will be best for my engine in the long run, and not necessarily what is the most cost effective. Obviously, I will have to choose between synthetic and conventional oil as well as an oil filter brand. In my other trucks, I usually use Castrol Syntec and either a Purolator Pure One or a Napa Gold/Wix oil filter. I also continue to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance intervals even if I use synthetic fluids. Lately, I have been considering using a K&N oil filter if it provides even a slight advantage over the others. I am open to all recommendations and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

I use Mobil 1 5w20 w/ a Mobil 1 filter, every time.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 AM
truegent81
Captain

i use pennzoil synthetic and use mopar oil filter. get it all at walmart.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
RustyRims92

Maybe I should rephrase my question: I like to change my oil at the manufacturer's recommended interval (every 3,000 miles) regardless of the type of oil I use. As such, is there still any benefit to my using synthetic oil, or is the exclusive benefit of synthetic oil that it can increase the oil change interval due to its resistance to breakdown over time?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mopar filter and regular dino oil at the dealer every 3K. They use either Mopar oil or Pennzoil. At 3K intervals, I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic myself.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM
newfiebullet
Professional

Cant go wrong with Amsoil, i use it in everything i own

Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by newfiebullet
Cant go wrong with Amsoil, i use it in everything i own
It's fine for your 2500 (and the OPs too for that matter) and fine for any pre-'06 1500, but not recommended for an MDS Hemi, or at least not recommended for extended intervals.
The reason Amsoil lasts much longer than conventional oils is because it's viscosity actually increases with repeated heating & cooling. Tests have shown that a 0/20 weight Amsoil product will test out to about 20/50 after about 12,000 miles. This is not a good thing for an MDS engine that relies on exact viscosity (5/20 in the case of the Hemi) for proper cylinder de-activation and activation.
If using it in an MDS engine, I'd recommend no longer than 6,000 miles between changes unless you pay for an oil analysis to check viscosity. It's a solid oil, one of the best ones out there, but you just gotta monitor it closely in an MDS Hemi...

As for me, I run a 100% true synthetic, usually the one that happens to be on sale with a free high quality filter with 5000 mile changes. Last two times it's been Valvoline Syntec with a free K&N filter, although I took advantage of a great internet sale on Royal Purple and an RP filter and bought enough for my next oil change in both my truck and my Jeep. If nothing is on sale, I tend to buy the Valvoline and a Wix filter, although I like any of the filters made by Champion Labs as well (Royal Purple, K&N, Mobil 1, Mopar)...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-05-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
truegent81
Captain

Well if you wanna stay with the 3000 mile interval change, I wouldn't waste money on synthetic. Even with dyno I didn't change every 3k. So stick with dyno if you wanna do the 3k change. And mopar oil filter. There is a website on here about the different types of oil filters. How they ar constructed and how the brands really aren't what they are cracked uP to be. For my wife's suv I use purolater.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 AM
NSASarge
Amateur

I've used about everything there is. AMSOIL is one of the only (few) American Made oils. They don't compare to brand X, Y or Z. They name the competition and show the results of testing, BY NAME! AMSOIL was the first full synthetic oil approved for use in motor vehicles, 1972. Even Harley Davidson, who is extremely **** about oil, now recommends it! I use it in my weedeater, pressure washer, chainsaw, compressor, 2 generators, garden tractor, my wifes' car, motorcycle and of course my truck. All get changed once a year or 20k miles whichever comes first. If you use AMSOIL synthetic and their filters, they will guarentee that you will never have an oil related failure. They have never had a claim filed against them.

www.SyntheticOilUSA.com

or

www.AMSOIL.com

AMSOIL

"SARGE"

Last edited by NSASarge; 06-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Oil & Filter