3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Guy Looking For Some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Kiffer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Looking For Some Advice.

One of the newer members here, and I got a 2007 1500 Mega Cab last week, and I'm looking for some info on intake and exhaust parts, mainly to get a least a bit better mileage.

First off, I would like to get a good high-flow exhaust systems that either duals off behind the rear tires or single to the right rear behind the wheel. Do any companies carry the like, or would it be better and cheaper if I built my own? And what options to I have for improving exhaust flow through the cats?

Secondly is intake. I am getting a full CAI, and maybe a thottle body spacer. My brother and dad both have one on their 1997 Chev 1500 Vortecs with an improvement in torque and MPG. How effective are they with the Hemi with MDS? I'm not looking to get a radical gain, just bettter torque off the bottom and better mileage if possible.

Any help, advice, or critizism is welcome.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Matt99
Champion

It will be cheaper to get a set made up probably, Im not sure if 2500 Hemi exaust will fit your truck since obviously the regular catback systems will not work. Alot of people just remove the cats since most mufflers are still pretty restrictive, but Magnaflow makes high flow cats

You can make a CAI that makes close to the gains that the aftermarket ones do (besides the Vararam, BFI, etc). The throttle body spacer will not help your truck. At all.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the TB spacer. It will produce nothing but a whistle. After you get tired of the whistle, it'll make a nice paper weight.

As for exhaust, many folks use Flowmaster, but apparently they tire of the sound sometime before the unit rots out. Borla and Magnaflow (what I used - SI/DO with the tails coming out at the corners of the bed) are popular. Any CAI should work fine, including the home made ones. At least you won't have to listen to the MDS drone.

As for mileage improvement, you can expect very minimal if any.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Kiffer

Originally Posted by Matt99
It will be cheaper to get a set made up probably, Im not sure if 2500 Hemi exaust will fit your truck since obviously the regular catback systems will not work. Alot of people just remove the cats since most mufflers are still pretty restrictive, but Magnaflow makes high flow cats

You can make a CAI that makes close to the gains that the aftermarket ones do (besides the Vararam, BFI, etc). The throttle body spacer will not help your truck. At all.
I was think about the 2500 exhaust beacuse most of the listings of a Mega Cab cat-back exhaust list a IFS front, not the solid axle like I have.

Removing the cats won't screw with the emissions BS and make the truck run funny?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

As far as gutting the cats cause the 02's to screw up; maybe.
If you have a Cali emissions truck, hell yes it would.
49 state legal truck, eh, maybe.
And yes, I do see that you're in Alberta.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Arctodus
Captain

Well, if you have a Mega Cab as I do, good gas mileage is an enemy that you cannot defeat. Because you have a Mega Cab your Hemi does not have the MDS option because it weighs so much. I have the Air Raid CAI and a Flowmaster dual chamber 40 series exhaust which sounds pretty good but does produce alot of drone.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Kiffer

Interesting. I thought all 1500's came with the MDS option on the Hemi. I work at a parts store, so I do get parts cheaper than most, plus I have access to a wider range of suppliers and companies.

If I build my own system, would 3" pipe off the headers, gut the cats, and single into a good muffler, then single 4" pipe the rest work good, or is it over-board?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The Mega is not a 1500. Also, unless you're generating some serious horsepower, 3" into 4" is too big.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Kiffer

So the 1500 is just a re-badged 2500, or is there any other differences?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Matt99
Champion

I should have told you that you didnt have MDS. I guess I was too concentrated on everything else!

Yea, its pretty much a relabeled 2500. I have heard there are some spring rate differences but nothing else. You are essentially driving a 3/4 ton

Quick Reply: New Guy Looking For Some Advice.