3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Surprise! Another Dodge Dealership Tries to Bone a Loyal Patron

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 AM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surprise! Another Dodge Dealership Tries to Bone a Loyal Patron

I took my 07 QC 4x4 Hemi down to the Dodge dealership service department because it had a squeak coming from the front right side that went away when I hit breaks. The tech said it would cost $100 to do a complete vehicle diagnosis but that it would be credited if I let them do the work. They kept it for a day and gave me a call to break the news that my front brakes were toast. She said the calipers were warped, there was uneven wear in the pads, the rotors would need to be resurfaced, and, because the brake fluid was "contaminated", the whole system needed to be flushed. This was particularly unnerving because I'm no newbie, and the breaks seemed just fine to me.

She then let me know that it would cost me almost $1100 to do the repairs. So now I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to justify dropping $1100 on what I thought was a simple "squirt some lube on it" job. So I pay them the $100 for being oh-so-thorough in their careful evaluation of my beloved truck and head on my way, all the while crunching numbers to figure out when I can afford to drop him off and get him fixed right.

So on the way home I see a big yellow sign at Les Schwab Tires that states "Free Break Inspection" so of course I stop and let them do their thing. I told them the same thing I told the dealer when I dropped it off (that it had been squeaking, seems to come from the front right, and that it goes away when I depress the break pedal) but I did not tell them anything about the Dodge dealer because I wanted them to find it for themselves. So they take all four wheels off, do their thing, and come back and tell me that my breaks are great and that they have plenty of life left. At this point, because of what the dealer just told me, I'm thinking this guy didn't know what he was doing. But, to my surprise, he brings me out to the shop and runs through the whole process with me showing me that nothing is warped or warn and everything looks great.

So, now that I've become thoroughly perplexed, I asked him to hop in so he can hear the squeak. He hears it and asks that I drop it off so they can look a little deeper, so I do. He calls me later and tells me that it is a simple warn gasket (or grommet) on the front right suspension causing the squeak. He sprayed some heavy lubricant on it and the squeak completely went away but that was just a temporary fix. To fix the problem right, it would take a couple cheap parts and about $230, which would include both sides. And what is better, he said that because they'd be in there anyway, he would toss on a new 2" level kit for an additional $170.

So at the end of the day I'll have my Ram squeak-free, repaired, leveled and aligned for $400. Now all I need to do is head down to the dealership and get my $100 back.

Eat **** Dodge Dealership service department. I'll see you soon.

-Frank

Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 AM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick it to em man, the dealership will always rip you off. I know a service writer at the local stealership here and he said that it is a daily thing for them. They have to pay the service guys to be there all day whether they are busy or not so the writers are pressed to find anything wrong that can be fixed by the service techs. Only time my truck has been back to the dealership was when he was doing some work on it when nobody was around who would care that he was doing it under the table or when she was still covered under warranty and the work was free.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck getting the c-note back. Count it as a lesson learned: stay away from the dealer.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common scenario these days. But you gotta watch the average chain-type shop or even locals anymore. There are horror stories of shoddy work and total rip-offs from every type of place you go for service. That's why I try to do ALL my work myself and will trouble-shoot any problem to the best of my ability before I'd ever think to take it to anyone.

Luckily, if I get in too deep or can't figure something out, I do have a few good sources to get information or even have the work done right and for a reasonable price...

Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Frank,

This is Chris from the Top Care department at Chrysler.

I apologize for the service you received at your dealership. I would like you to send me a private message if you have any problem getting your diagnosis fee back from the dealer. Please keep me informed as to the resolution of your issue. Thanks, and sorry again for your inconvenience.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Frank,

This is Chris from the Top Care department at Chrysler.

I apologize for the service you received at your dealership. I would like you to send me a private message if you have any problem getting your diagnosis fee back from the dealer. Please keep me informed as to the resolution of your issue. Thanks, and sorry again for your inconvenience.

I'll tell you one thing I wish Chrysler would do, Chris, is re-visit some of the dealerships they yanked the right to sell product from during the last re-structure. I personally know of two, one a Dodge truck dealer the other a Jeep only dealer who Chrysler axed. In both cases these were family owned dealerships, small, low inventory BUT impeccable reputation for being honest in the local community. In both cases, they gave the product to big, auto-supermarket dealerships who would do to you what Frank describes in a heartbeat OR WORSE!

My local Jeep dealer had been one for 38 years, the son of the founder still ran it, was there every day and would give out his cell number if you had a problem. The head mechanic is the best one I've found to date and most sales people had been there for over 10 years. This mechanic has gotten on the phone with me and pointed me in the right direction on Jeep mods/repairs knowing full well I was doing the work and bought the parts online to save a buck. This particular dealership is still surviving, but with a skeleton crew and sells used Jeep products while continuing to service Jeep vehicles, but unfortunately can't compete as they don't have the ability to purchase repair parts from Mopar, offer warranty work or even get updates to their StarScan tool.

The super-market type dealer they gave Jeep to about 3 miles away, conversely has a huge turnover in employees, not only in sales, but most techs tend to be about 20 years old and aren't there three months later. Provide terrible service, gouge you at the drop of a hat, have been caught time after time charging for services not performed and diagnosing simple repairs as costly ones.

I feel that Chrysler not only did a HUGE disservice to these "mom & pop" dealers, but to the customer base as well. Y'all "Wal-Marted" us on this one!!!

I'm not saying they are all bad, Chris. There are good ones out there as well. The closest dealership to my mom is a good one. A bit high on the prices, but will perform the work and make it right if they screw up. I've actually seen a lot more bad Ford dealerships than Chrysler, percentage-wise, but they are out there.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-26-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I hear you Hammer.

Your not the only one who has brought that issue up to us here at Top Care. While I am not in a position to determine who may or may not get their franchise back, I can assure you that I pass on every suggestion like yours that I get and will continue to do so.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I appreciate that Chris. May not do any good, but I think somebody up the chain needs to know that a lot of decisions can't be made by looking at a spreadsheet.

I belong to a Jeep club as I've had seven Jeep products (and four Dodge) along the years and we've lost more than a few guys from the fold to 'Yota, Land Rover, Nissan and Ford over the last couple of years because they won't deal with the dealer that got the Jeep product. These guys were used to just driving to that old reliable dealer when it was time to buy/trade and would never consider going amy place else, but now if they gotta travel to look, they are looking at other offerings as well...

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Ben D.
Champion

wish this guy from chrysler was on the board when I was having all the issues with my truck..

20+ visits to dealers to fix a simple CEL issue that ended up being a bad injector lol..

because lemme tell you I called IDK how many people at chrysler about that and no one cared.. hell even one girl said I'd be better off going through lemon law than trying to get the truck fixed at a dealer... when all I wanted was the truck fixed and to be on my way...

hell the service manager at the first dealer told me that "until god starts makin em... we're here to fix em"... this was after they replaced my PCM and the problem persisted.. lol. took it to another dealer in the area and they were much more help...

Last edited by Ben D.; 07-26-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM
xjfever
Professional

I'll just continue as Hammer and do all my own repair work. I don't trust anyone anymore. My mom took her lincoln LS to the dealer for service and they stuck her with 1400 in un-needed repairs. They supposidly had to replace the struts up front and when she told me I went and looked and the old ones were still on there. I assume several months later the guy I talked to in the service departments ears are still ringing and the poor lady whom I didn't know was back there is still embarrassed from all the cussing. I got back 1200 of her dollars and told them in a non-polite way they were a bunch of dirtbags who preyed on the ignorant. I told my mom if she ever took her vehicle anywhere to have it fixed before talking to me I would disown her. It is pitiful how dealers take advantage of people. The local nissan shop told my mother-in-law a few months ago that she had a bad miss in her engine and it had ruined the cats, and also the rear-end was about to fall out and they felt it unsafe for her to drive it in this condition. How thoughtful of them. She called me and asked me to come pick her up while they performed the 2600 in repairs. I drove her x-terra when I got there and found nothing wrong with it. That was at least five months ago and it is running fine still with no CEL and no noise or issues with the rear-end. She had it there for a simple recall (about the 6th or 7th) and they wanted to take full advantage of her.

Quick Reply: Surprise! Another Dodge Dealership Tries to Bone a Loyal Patron