3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

wifes truck got some new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydt
Thanks man...the hood is just a two way tape stick on scoop. Hammer and i both have the same one and both have thought about cutting the hole in the hood and scoop to make it functional. I just haven't got around to it. The scoop painted and installed costed me 280, but i had hookups. To puchase a viper hood, painted to match, and install last year i was quoted a price of $1400.

Yup, same scoop. I actually have had all the components necessary to make mine functional for a while now. I've made up and painted the PVC that will replace my existing CAI tube to run the filter up into the scoop, have the 2nd battery tray and battery. Already connected a battery isolator.

My only holdup is I have to have surgery and as of right now can't remove the hood to cut it and put it back on. I don't have any help around here and my last two trips up to the farm where I have help, I've needed to take my Jeep.

Actually bought the scoop because a limb fell on my hood from a big pine when I was out hunting one day in south Ga. and I couldn't pop the whole dent out. So the scoop was a "band aid", but now because I want a second battery and need to free up the spot for the tray on the passenger side, it's gonna become functional.

But if any of y'all are interested in the scoop, I got it at Stylintrucks.com prolly going on about 3 years ago now. Was like $160 fully color match painted then and I took advantage of a deal they were running for free shipping for orders over $99.
They are running the free shipping deal again right now, but the price went up to $175. It's almost identical to the fake one Mopar makes that is $360 at the dealership UNPAINTED! Just have your paint code handy...

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/sr...9011112p-.aspx

The front is painted just like the rest of it, if y'all don't intend to cut the front out for an actual Ram Air setup, I'd suggest you paint that part black or "gutta' mesh" it like I did. Takes about $3 in a piece of gutter mesh and black, 3M double sided automotive tape. With the black tape behind the mesh, holding it on you literally have to be standing at the hood to be able to tell it's not real. The gutta mesh will oxidize over time and dirt, dust will stick to the exposed tape, so I suggest you at least hit it with a coat of clear to seal it. I sprayed the mesh with chrome paint and then after applying it to the tape I hit it with clear polyurethane to seal it, then stuck it on the scoop.

Name:  0226001724a.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  91.6 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-30-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
luckydt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hammer,
That mesh in yours look awesome. I have the fake looking sticker one in there right now, but you got me thinking now might have to make that change. The only difference between your scoop and mine is the edge where it meets the hood where you have that 1/4" flat mine rolls inward under the scoop. The two way tape that holds it is then under the scoop holding it down. I will try to get a picture later for comparison.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, I looked at the Mopar one long and hard, it's just how you describe yours, it does make it look more real close up. But like I said, the Mopar one was $360 unpainted where this one was $160 shipped, color matched. At the time I was looking for a quick, cheap band aid to hide the dent in the hood and I was thinking of getting a new hood at some point. But this one is fine, hell if you're more than about 6' away you can't tell it's fake.

Mines actually more raised up than it was when I first put it on, the tape it comes with is thinner so there is no seam, but I got mine in January, was in the upper 30s outside and the thing tells you to specifically NOT apply it if it's under 65*. I hated that dent, so stuck it on anyway and yup, soon as the 80* days hit the thing started raising up in spots and the tape was loosing it's stick. So I had to take it off, scrape the tape off it, eraser wheel the goo off the hood and buy a roll of 3M to put it back on. The only stuff I could get here locally is about twice the thickness, so the seam is raised a tad. Put it back on well over 2 years ago though, on a 95* day, so it ain't budged since...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:30 PM
luckydt
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, I looked at the Mopar one long and hard, it's just how you describe yours, it does make it look more real close up. But like I said, the Mopar one was $360 unpainted where this one was $160 shipped, color matched. At the time I was looking for a quick, cheap band aid to hide the dent in the hood and I was thinking of getting a new hood at some point. But this one is fine, hell if you're more than about 6' away you can't tell it's fake.

Mines actually more raised up than it was when I first put it on, the tape it comes with is thinner so there is no seam, but I got mine in January, was in the upper 30s outside and the thing tells you to specifically NOT apply it if it's under 65*. I hated that dent, so stuck it on anyway and yup, soon as the 80* days hit the thing started raising up in spots and the tape was loosing it's stick. So I had to take it off, scrape the tape off it, eraser wheel the goo off the hood and buy a roll of 3M to put it back on. The only stuff I could get here locally is about twice the thickness, so the seam is raised a tad. Put it back on well over 2 years ago though, on a 95* day, so it ain't budged since...
im not sure if mine is original mopar or not. i know i bought it off ebay for 250 range. on some of the super hot days we got i noticed mien started to dip in the center. I know mine is made out of the abs plastic so i took it off and did whole mess of cleaning the goo off. I heated it up to get it back to the normal form and stuck it back on. This time i had drilled a hole on each corner of where the scoop sat and 1 in the center in the hood. once i had the scoop mounted i took spray foam installation and stuck the tube in the holes i drilled and blasted away until it started coming back at me. It's been on now for about 6 months and haven't had any issues with it dropping. As of late we have had days 100-108 so it has been a good test.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Mine has never dipped at all, just where the tape was holding it down you could see the tape start to let go and the area where it was wanting to rise up in the hot sun, I don't think it would have ever been an issue if I waited for a warm day to install it...

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Isn't the H3 on a Colorado chassis? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Same Colorado chassis and originally the same 3.5L I5 engine GM & Isuzu co-produced, but I think the '08 was the first to be upgraded to the 3.7L I5 that upped HP to somewhere around 240 at the crank and had the 5.3L V8 as an option.

In I5 flavor, it's definitely a "chick truck" with those HP & Torque numbers and a towing capacity of something like 3500 lbs. But it's not terrible with the V8, at 300 HP and a towing capacity of 6000 lbs...

Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM
luckydt
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Same Colorado chassis and originally the same 3.5L I5 engine GM & Isuzu co-produced, but I think the '08 was the first to be upgraded to the 3.7L I5 that upped HP to somewhere around 240 at the crank and had the 5.3L V8 as an option.

In I5 flavor, it's definitely a "chick truck" with those HP & Torque numbers and a towing capacity of something like 3500 lbs. But it's not terrible with the V8, at 300 HP and a towing capacity of 6000 lbs...
Hammer,
You are correct hers has the 3.7l I5. As far as towing we don't even have a hitch on hers. Suprising how the bigger tires really didnt seem affect her get up and go like they did on my truck. I dunno if it has to do with being all wheel drive.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by luckydt
Hammer,
You are correct hers has the 3.7l I5. As far as towing we don't even have a hitch on hers. Suprising how the bigger tires really didnt seem affect her get up and go like they did on my truck. I dunno if it has to do with being all wheel drive.
They know how underpowered that vehicle is for it's weight with the I5 and actually were on the ball and only offered it with 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios from the factory. If I remember correctly, 4.10s were stock with 16" wheels with 4.56s as an option and 4.56s come as part of the 20" wheel package but could be spec'd with 4.10s...

Quick Reply: wifes truck got some new shoes