3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

High Output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Output Alternator

Anybody have any experience with these alternators? They look pretty good. I don't know if its my alternator or my battery but when I plug in my boat trailer with the A/C on and I turn on the light switch, the battery voltage gauge goes so low the the "Check Gauge" light comes on.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/...odge&model=Ram

Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Just that shouldn't need a heavier alternator. Have the battery load-checked. It just might be time for a new one. Could be the battery temp sensor (under the battery) is not happy.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While those alternators don't look bad at all. Easy way to judge is pricing based. Easily a HO alternator should be about 3 dollars per amp.. Which those are right on par with that.

but Mike is spot on when he says something else is definitely going on. Whether it is your current alt going bad, battery or something else is the question

Any vehicle could benefit from a HO alternator. That thing could provide the current needed to operate the truck without having to work nearly as hard as the stock piece. But obviously the alternator is 650 bucks. That and also factor in that upgrading all stock wiring for power supply and ground would be needed as well. Not trying to discourage you but there is obviously something else going on with the truck causing the issue.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Arctodus
Captain

I was looking at the one for $289.00 at 180 amp output and 130 amp at idle. I don't think I would need over 200 amps, but maybe I do? I also notice at night when my light are on and I rolled the windows up or down, the headlights dim a bit until I'm done. I think a new alternator and a Red-Top Optima battery should compliment the Ram quite nicely.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lights dimming when using the power windows is fairly normal. PCM regulated alternator tends to be a bit slow on increasing it's output. Therefore you get a momentary light dim. Not a big deal.

Now the issues you put in your OP are something to be concerned with. Like I said though you need to diagnose what the problem is first before you just go replacing parts. There could be something else going on with the truck that you aren't aware of. The new battery and alternator would be nice but if there's something else causing the problems it's just wasted money

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Someone must have received some stimulus funds. Forget the alternator - nothing you have needs it. Have the battery load-tested. If it's bad, DON'T replace it with an Optima. For what an Optima costs, you can buy TWO conventional batteries and they'll last more than twice as long.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Optima has gone to crap since being bought out by another company from what I have read.. Get a nice Duralast Gold from Autozone and be good for at least 8yrs.
Have your battery tested as well as an alternator load test on the truck.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Arctodus
Captain

Wow, did not know that, I always thought of Optima to be the queen bee of the battery world. I'm in Mexico now but when I get back I will be testing both parts. Thanks for the time and info.

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator