3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mods for '03 5.7L MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
A-Hemi-Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mods for '03 5.7L MPG?

I know that 5.7L's not really all about MPG, but I would definately like some more mileage. Here's a list.

No tire pressure tips. No Oil/Fuel/Air filter tips. No tanneu covers(I have tool box)

I've heard that some programmers could save 4-6 MPG or so. Is that true?
Could De-tuners help as well? If you have any other things that might help, you're more than welcome to put them here. Any suggestions would be appreciated,really.

Oh, and I'm fairly new to this site. Thanks!!

Last edited by A-Hemi-Guy; 10-26-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ain't seen the tuner yet gain more than 1-2 MPG, although there sure have been some shady companies that claim theirs will get you 5 mpg.

Detuning the truck NEVER works, because you now need to make the engine work harder to achieve the same results. You inevitably press down harder on the gas to get the truck moving or to maintain the same speeds you used to, so whatever you gained by detuning, you give back by more open throttle.

No single thing beats having the truck fully tuned up and using fresh, 100% synthetic fluids (and of course the tire pressure thing). However, the ONLY mod I've seen that gains enough fuel economy to actually be cost effective is going to an e-fan. ANYBODY who's even half thinking fuel economy with a heavy truck should look to an e-fan before anything else...

Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 PM
A-Hemi-Guy

Hey thank you so much! That helps a lot.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Tom5.7

I certainly do not want to hijack this thread but Hammer would you mind telling me how to install an e fan in my 2004 5.7 1500 please. You explain things really well , I want to do this mod but it makes me nervous. Tell me what you recommend and how the wiring goes and I will proceed with getting the things I need. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There's an e-fan installation tutorial in the DIY section (looked it up after seeing this thread yesterday), though the pictures are now gone. It's on page 3, I think.

I have searched about e-fans and Flex-a-lite (I think that was the brand) on here, but came up with too many results to wade through in any sort of practical manner. Would someone mind explaining exactly what an e-fan is, and why it is so beneficial? Thanks!

Here's the link to the DIY tutorial:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...c-fan-diy.html

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 10-28-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Clutch type fans are just pure-out inefficient. First of all the fact that they are driven by a belt off the crank means that a portion of energy produced by the engine must be used to drive the clutch fan. This means lost horsepower. Just simply removing the clutch fan with it's parasitic drag can free up as much as 25 HP depending on the vehicle.
This gives a huge benefit as far as fuel economy is concerned. Make more power at lower RPMs means having to give it less throttle. Less throttle = less gas used.

The big issue I have with clutch fans is that they spin in relation to engine RPM - the faster you go, the faster the belt moves, the faster the fan spins. Well think about it - the time you need the fan LEAST is when moving down the open highway at 75 MPH, when the wind is being forced thru the radiator by simple motion. It's when you are stuck in traffic on a hot day or crawling along off-road when you need the fan the most and with a clutch fan, these are times the clutch fan is barely moving. An e-fan moves air at it's rated capacity whether you are sitting still or doing 120 mph.

Realistically, on a Dodge Ram you can expect about a 14-18 RWHP gain with an efficient e-fan. MPG gains will depend on where/how you drive. Because a clutch fan is most parasitic at low RPMs when the engine has to work harder to move it, you'll typically see the most benefit from switching to an e-fan in city driving conditions. Expect about 2-3 mpg gains in city driving and a slight gain on strictly highway driving conditions.

As far as the type, there are two ways to go. Many guys save money by piecing together their own "kit" and start with a fan from a junked car such as a Ford Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII.
Others purchase a full kit where everything you need is included in the box, such as the Flex-a-Lite 180 Extreme that I have. (The new FLex-a-Lite Kit is model 183 which replaces the 180 model). It's an extremely light fan with a very low AMP draw, so a larger alternator is not needed.

Their instructions are good and about the only place I deviated from them is that I kept my stock shroud and mounted the fan inside of it with screws thru the side. I felt this guided air over the radiator fins better...

Installation guide:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/183-99183.pdf

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-28-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Thanks, Hammer. This exactly the information that I was looking for. It all makes perfect sense, as you explain it. Are there any negatives or drawbacks to switching to an e-fan? I'd be going with the Flex-A-Lite kit you provided the instructions for, most likely, as a used Taurus or Lincoln would be pretty hard to come by over here. I'd rather pay a little more and know I have everything I need, as well.

Thanks, again.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

It's said that if towing a LOT of weight at interstate speeds a clutch fan cools better, which is entirely possible since at about 70 mph a clutch fan does move faster than all but the most expensive e-fans. BUT I've done 7700 lbs. in south Georgia 100* heat and my temp gauge never went over the halfway mark.
Maybe if I had a 3500 diesel and was hauling all the time I might see an issue.

The only other negative is thru standing water or deep mud. You'd typically crawl thru such places so a clutch fan wouldn't be spinning very fast but with an e-fan (mine for example) which pulls 3300 cfm ALL THE TIME, it's possible to suck water/debris and mud up into the radiator fins, clogging them and stopping them from dissipating heat.
There is a fix for this and that's to install a manual cut-off switch on or around the dash. Just simply cut the fan off when forging a mud hole and cut it back on when you get across it. I actually have the switch sitting in the center console of my truck but never installed it. I guess when I have an issue for the first time, I'll have the motivation to install the thing but in 5+ years with the e-fan, the issue has never come up.

Honestly, especially on a half ton truck, I can't see any reason NOT to go to an e-fan...

Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Awesome. Thanks!

Now to source me a kit...

Quick Reply: Mods for '03 5.7L MPG?