3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Would like to get 285/70 R17 is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
cfd303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to get 285/70 R17 is it worth it?

I am currently running the 265/70 R17's. I would like to get something a little taller that will fill up a little more of the wheel wells, but I would like the height to be the same as width. I have the 2" spacer in the front to level the front end. So I was wondering if the 285/70 R17 would accomplish this. I dont want to go to drastic I am also looking to convserve fuel mileage too. And I know the bigger the tire the more fuel it will take to turn them. I want to say there is a 3.5" gap now between the tire and fender but don't quote me.

The tires I am looking at are the GY Wrangler Dura Trac

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM
cfd303
Professional
Default 265/70 R17 is it worth upsizing?

I am currently running the 265/70 R17's. I would like to get something a little taller that will fill up a little more of the wheel wells, but I would like the height to be the same as width. I have the 2" spacer in the front to level the front end. So I was wondering if the 285/70 R17 would accomplish this. I dont want to go to drastic I am also looking to convserve fuel mileage too. And I know the bigger the tire the more fuel it will take to turn them. I want to say there is a 3.5" gap now between the tire and fender but don't quote me.

The tires I am looking at are the GY Wrangler Dura Trac

In the 265 series for the GY I see they are load range E which I would like to stay with. I wanted a more ply tire since I tow alot and I am going to be putting a plow on. When I looked up the 285 series they are only in the D range so not sure if I want to go that route because of the load range.

I never thought buying tires would be such a P.I.T.A!!

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not put a Duratrac tire on a full size 1/2 ton QC truck, so on a 3/4 ton ain't no way.
This tire is the staple of the Jeep crowd but everybody recognizes that it has a weak sidewall (yes even in an "E" load range). Lots of documented cases of sidewall failures on heavy trucks. Once the vehicle gets up over 5000 lbs. this tire starts to get out of it's element. It's basically a GREAT mid-size 4x4 SUV or smaller pickup tire but not a good heavy truck tire.

There are a LOT better choices out there, probably a good bit cheaper in an "E" tire in basically a 33" x 11.5" (285/70/17) tire.

Normally I'd say a "D" is fine, the rating is still higher than the rated capacity of a 1500, but with a 2500 and your intended use, I'd go with the "E" load...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
extremis
Professional

My 2500 Megacab has that size tire on it. Click on my garage link to see photos of the truck. All the mods and such were done by a previous owner. I believe there was a leveling kit installed, and it has airbags in the back. Not sure if it gives a lift, but with this setup my truck sits a bit higher than other 2500's I've parked near. Compared to the original 265 spare, the tire is about 1 inch higher and a bit wider as well. The tires don't rub or anything. But, I also have after-market rims which may have different spacing to the factory wheels. The tires are BFG All-terrains. I don't run heavy loads so Load rating isn't much of a problem. My heaviest load is when I tow my RV and the quad is on the box of the truck. Maybe 1200lbs maximum on the truck. Since I used to do that with a 1500 and P-rated tires, any LT is an improvement.

Is it worth it? No idea. I never ran the original size tires/wheels on this truck to compare. Looks decent with the suspension height on the truck. I probably never would of gone that route on my own, but that's just me. I usually just stick with what is on a vehicle...if it works don't change it type of thing.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I just changed up to 285's myself, BFG A/T's with a load range E. I have a leveling kit, but you can surely fit them without one.

The overall look I love, which was the main reason for the upgrade. But, one thing that I am complaining about is the large change in shifting. With a slightly larger tire, I knew my speedo was going to be off as well as shift points, but I was not expecting quite such the drastic change (not so much the speedo, but the shifting). I guess it is time for one of the tuner gadgets to get everything straightened back out.

Oh, and it is hard to tell right now with the speedo being off a little, but I am pretty sure I have dropped a full MPG (coming from 265/70/17E BFG Rugged Trails).

I can post up some pics some time if your interested.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

285/70x17s on a 2 1/2" level kit:

Name:  P1010914.jpg
Views: 10476
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  P1000519.jpg
Views: 9698
Size:  154.0 KB

17x9s with -12mm offset:

Name:  P1010841.jpg
Views: 6803
Size:  33.0 KB

(Bridgestone Revo 2s)

Last edited by MikeHTally; 10-30-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
285/70x17s on a 2 1/2" level kit:

17x9s with -12mm offset:

(Bridgestone Revo 2s)
Thats exactly what i was looking for . But GY doesnt make thee 285 Dura Tracs i wanted in the range E. And from what i am getting from prior messages i shouldnt go with the Dura Trac.

Is there anything that has that same tread pattern and Load E in a 285?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM
laymanlemons@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by olyelr
I just changed up to 285's myself, BFG A/T's with a load range E. I have a leveling kit, but you can surely fit them without one.

The overall look I love, which was the main reason for the upgrade. But, one thing that I am complaining about is the large change in shifting. With a slightly larger tire, I knew my speedo was going to be off as well as shift points, but I was not expecting quite such the drastic change (not so much the speedo, but the shifting). I guess it is time for one of the tuner gadgets to get everything straightened back out.

Oh, and it is hard to tell right now with the speedo being off a little, but I am pretty sure I have dropped a full MPG (coming from 265/70/17E BFG Rugged Trails).

I can post up some pics some time if your interested.
It looks great but some pics from the side would be a great help.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the difference is marginal. I certainly would not get rid of good 265s just for the look. If your 265s are old then going up a size is fine.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:10 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know how many people actually look at the sidewall number of plys on their tires, but between a D and an E rating tire the sidewalls both have the same number of plys, it's the number of plys in the tread that changes. i'd compare those with a LT tire and see what the sidewall ply is. do the same with manufacturer as well. compare a goodyear D rated tire with a gy E rated tire.

Quick Reply: Would like to get 285/70 R17 is it worth it?