3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Potential new owner needs advice FAST !

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 PM
bremsstrahlung
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new owner needs advice FAST !

Hey all,
I was the owner of a 2009 Ram, but had part with it. I drove it through two Northeast winters and was absolutely amazed at what the Electronic Stability Program was capable of doing. Drove my 35 mile commute through the blizzards and un-plowed roads without even thinking about it. I couldnt upset the truck if I tried.
Now, I'm looking to get back into another truck, this time it's a used 2008 Quad Cab Sport package for a great price. However, there is no Electronic Stability Program on the truck and it's the one thing giving me pause. What is the actual real-world winter performance of these trucks without the magic of that ESP? I've never owned another four wheel drive truck for comparison. Do you guys sweat driving through severe winters?
Should I just hold out for another 2009 truck where the ESP is standard?
Thanks for any replies... the dealer selling me the truck needs my answer in the next few days.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 02 which had 0 electronic controls and I loved it. With a good set of tires it was unstoppable in the snow. I actually dislike the fact you cannot turn the ESP to have a little fun without being corrected.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
bremsstrahlung
Amateur

well, I guess it's hard to debate anything about winter driving with a guy from Canada. I'm not so worried about going in a straight line... but I wondered how many times the ESP kept me from sliding sideways and off the road without me even knowing it was happening.
The existing tires ( 20" ) are in pretty good shape, so dropping a wad of cash on new tires seems like an extra expense eating into the deal. ( $19,900 btw )

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ain't never had a 4x4 with any type of stability control, it's said by most that it really hampers off-roading. But I've read some posts by guys who said they felt better in snow turning it off, so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Ditto to Hammer. Not even sure what it does. If it's anything like the optional e-locker I have on my 2000 4runner, I wouldn't want it on in snow or mud anyway. We don't get a lot of snow but have had our share the last couple of seasons (see sig pic) and I am completely confident in my Ram's capability in the snow.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
davb673
Veteran

I don't have a 4x4, but I've found my 07 with a locker in the rear diff is quite good in snow. ESP makes me think there's just one more thing to go wrong down the road...

Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Owensue
Veteran

I hate the ESP, (traction control in general) it applies brakes, cuts engine power. It does try very hard to keep the truck headed straight, well 4 wheels turning sequentially. It cannot be 100% disabled however which makes playing in the snow difficult.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Big Pete
Amateur

My 02 was great in the snow even with crap tires. I did get a little sideways from time to time but I would just let off on the gas and keep off the brake and the truck would straighten back out. Play around with the truck in the rain in an empty parking lot(not going fast) so you know what the truck is going to do. I used to get my truck sideways on purpose in the rain (leaving work parking lot with no one around) so I would know how to control it.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I've never owned a truck with ESP/Stability control on it. I don't want to either. I live in Northern Alberta, and have owned an 07 ST 4x4 and currently own an 06 Laramie 3500. The 07 had Toyo O/Cs and it tracked very well. If I tried to break it loose it would, otherwise, you back off the throttle and it'll straighten out. My 06 has ABS x4 wheel and it's come in handy, but honestly, it only kicks on from time to time.

Get good tires, and it'll track well in the snow/rain/whatever you need. Leave the ESP for people that don't know how to handle the roads.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM
bremsstrahlung
Amateur

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure there's no offroading in my future, there wasn't with my '09 anyway. ( never had the opportunity in my area, plus after a lifetime of driving cars, I am convinced that I'll break something by going offroading. Not to mention that '09 just seemed too [I]pretty[I] for that kinda thing )
The truck just needs to be the ultimate and unstoppable commuting tank... as was the '09. Anybody from the Northeast remembers the blizzards we had last year and the record snows of the last two years... I'm going 30 miles each way on an Interstate. During the worst storms, large sections were completely un plowed with 18+ inches, and other sections were plowed which made them worse because what was left was packed and slick and miles and miles of no power to the lights on the roadway and moments of white-out conditions with the 30mph winds.
Through ALL that, my '09 was so calm and solid, so completely composed and holding a true and straight line that I'm convinced that it must've been that ESP. Winter commuting is my primary focus. Winter is here, and it will be here again next year and the year after that. While doing powerslides in a parking lot is fun, keeping on the road when the conditions are as described is my primary focus.
I guess the question really is this -- Was there ever a day in the Winter when anyone of you guys with a 3rd Gen Ram looked out the window and said, "Hell no.. I'm not driving in THAT sh%%t"

Quick Reply: Potential new owner needs advice FAST !