3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

College Student Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
jkgusaf
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
I'm in NROTC but I'm a Marine Option. It's still Naval ROTC though since the Marine Corps is under the Department of the Navy. But yea I go to OCS next summer and then after I graduate from college I'll get my commission as a Second Lieutenant

Sounds good man. LT's Make good money. I thought about trying to get a degree and commision, but i dont think i would like all the responsibility so soon. Just don't be one of those c***y Bas****s We got a few of those in the AF.

Last edited by jkgusaf; 01-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

JKG, I know I'm going to sound like an old curmudgeon saying this, but you need to be in school right now. You will likely never have a better opportunity with 100% tuition and scholarships and stipends being handed out like candy to take care of the books. Hell, knock out just one class every 8 weeks and you will be well into your core classes in no time so when you finally decide what you want to be when you grow up, you will be that much closer to actually getting there. Besides, you NEED that stuff for EPR's and 1206's and such.

I had planned on staying in for 20+, getting a diamond, and seeing how promotions went from there. I didn't have my mind focused single-track on making Chief like many do. I just wanted to have a fulfilling career. My wife was supposed to get her education and get out after 8 or 10 years with a better paying job in the Really Real World. Well, sometimes things don't always work out the way you plan them so meticulously.

Right about the time she was finishing up her Masters, I was pretty seriously injured and as a result was medically retired at 12 years. Granted, I still get 80% of E-6 every month, but that is probably right around what YOU bring home right now with BAS/BAH. Hard to support a wife and two kids on that. So, my wife is now a MSgt and is working on her PhD. At 20 years and 1 minute she's pulling the plug, no matter what rank she is at or how much longer she needs to stay in for a "high three" retirement. We both have the same TIS, to the day. She just dove right into her education, while I made excuses about long hours, perpetual shift work, drop zone, being stuck on the flightline, constantly being on the road deployed, and whatever else I could think of. Seemed kind of valid at the time, but excuses is all they were. In 2008 I found myself quite unexpectedly out on my *** with no education to fall back on. Luckily I am eligible for a bunch of VA programs, or I'd be out of luck trying to get it all done with just my MGIB.

Ok, that was really long winded but, dude, go to school. There's absolutely no reason why it can't be done right now (assuming you are done with your CDC's). My wife actually used to be your UTM several years ago. Every time I try to make an education excuse, she shoots it down rather quickly and counters with how schooling can be accomplished v i rt t u a l ly for free (books included) under any circumstances, anywhere in the world. Marines and Soldiers at FOB's in Afghanistan and Iraq are completing their education through distance learning (online classes) and even face to face classes, in some cases. It can be done. If there's one thing that Uncle Sam has really put some effort into in the last few years, it's education opportunities. There are very few valid excuses, anymore. Only, "I just don't feel like it".

Sorry, not trying to preach, but my household holds both sides of this coin. I happened to be the one who gave myself the short end of the stick. That's actually for ANYONE serving right now. Switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill (unless you are already using the MGIB, then see how much longer you can draw benefits before you have to switch or lose it), get that in your back pocket for later, then start using the government benefits you are entitled to, just the way the government uses you.

[/soapbox]

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM
jkgusaf
Rookie

Thanks for the advice Chet. I am in CDC's though, hopefully I will be out of them within a week or 2. I do plan on taking at least a few classes, and try to get my CCAF associates degree.I think that would look really good for Sra BTZ, and who doesnt want that? lol My tech school alone was something like 36 credit hours so hopefully it wont be many more and I can get that degree. Thats sad to hear that you had to get out like that after all that TIS. But at least they are still paying you. I know quite a few people that are not concentrated on making Chief they just wanna do thier time and get out with at least MSgt. I am not sure what I want to do yet, part of me wants to stay in, and cross train when i can, and mabey end up in Alaska one day. But on the other hand I want to finish my contract, go back home, Get a job, and go to college. But I dont know, We'll see.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
citori13
Professional

School: University of Minnesota Duluth
Majors: Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Mods: Homemade CAI, homemade Grill, flowmaster DOS 50 series exhaust with 3.5" cherrybomb tips, leveled with skyjacker hydro shocks, smoked recon taillights and 3rd brake light, and cooper zeon ltz tires.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM
CaptainMo

Ok I'll play. I just graduated in December 2011 recently.

School: Northern Arizona University
Major: Public Health Promotion

I just got my Ram 1500 back in July (my first ram). I don't have a lot of mods yet but I'm doin em little by little. I put a Flowmaster 40 on and am debating cuttin the resonator off but not sure exactly about emissions testing laws and if it's still legal because I would like to dump it right after the muffler. I also just put on a Rough Country leveling kit and 1.5" rear spacer and shock kit.

Another mod I did which wasn't performance based but I like little projects and thought it would look good was blacking out the tail lights.

Quick Reply: College Student Thread!!!