3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

03 Ram 4.7 Hushpower or Flowmaster 40

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
03whiteram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 03 Ram 4.7 Hushpower or Flowmaster 40

Trying to decide on a muffler for my 4.7.

Not into seriously tuning the exhaust, just want a little more flow.

I am looking at the Hushpower or Flowmaster Super 40.

Any opinions on either?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by 03whiteram
Trying to decide on a muffler for my 4.7.

Not into seriously tuning the exhaust, just want a little more flow.

I am looking at the Hushpower or Flowmaster Super 40.

Any opinions on either?
Neither of those will give you better flow. In fact the 40 might flow worse than your stock muffler, and will surely rust out long before the stock one would. Magnaflow makes great flowing mufflers that sound fantastic, as does Cherry Bomb. Bonus of both brands is that they are stainless steel, so no rust worries.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
03whiteram
Professional

Still researching for my engine. What size would you all recommend for the 03 4.7 4X2?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Still researching for my engine. What size would you all recommend for the 03 4.7 4X2?
Magnaflow part number 11379, 11" body dual-in/dual-out. Have them cut out the factory piping right after the cats, this gets rid of the restrictive "Y" adapter and allows you to have a true dual exhaust when combined with this muffler. Check out my thread here for more muffler info as it relates to the 4.7L, specifically the 3rd page for pics of my install.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM
03whiteram
Professional

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Magnaflow part number 11379, 11" body dual-in/dual-out. Have them cut out the factory piping right after the cats, this gets rid of the restrictive "Y" adapter and allows you to have a true dual exhaust when combined with this muffler. Check out my thread here for more muffler info as it relates to the 4.7L, specifically the 3rd page for pics of my install.
Unfortunately, my 03 is setup with the "y" and a single cat. I suppose I could add two high flow cats, but would I be able to run a single O2 sensor circuit? i wouldn't mind running a true dual setup.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Unfortunately, my 03 is setup with the "y" and a single cat. I suppose I could add two high flow cats, but would I be able to run a single O2 sensor circuit? i wouldn't mind running a true dual setup.
If you don't wanna mess with the cat(s), you could try the Cherry Bomb 88109 Vortex, or any of the smaller-bodied Magnaflow SI/DO and SI/SO.

If it were me in your situation, I would remove the "Y" and the cat, and install the sensor directly into one of the pipes with an offset bung.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

This is the muffler I have. It flows better then stock or Flowmaster. I also have a 4.7 to give you an idea of what it may sound like. Listen on desktop speakers or through headphones. Its a Magnaflow SIDO, the model number is 12258.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATyk_...7RKnQ5kDJHL-uP

Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
RanchinRam

I'm gonna add my 2 cents here because I have an 03 Ram 4.7, and I've gone through a Flowmaster and a Magnaflow, and they both were terrible. I had the Flowmaster Super 40 as my first muffler...thing rusted/rotted in just a few months, not to mention it barely upped the throaty, deep sound I like out of a large truck. Airflow is severely constricted in Flowmaster Super 40 due to the different "chambers" in the muffler. So then I switched to Magnaflow, which lasted okay, but it also severely limited the flow and not much better sound...Magnaflows tend to drone more.

My solution? AeroTurbine.
-No chambers/restrictions in the muffler
-Stainless Steel=Lifetime Warranty
-The sound is just amazing...think of an old hemi muscle car...that's the sound you get when you step on it. It's enough to get noticed and turn heads and get some thumbs up, but not obnoxiously loud like that of glasspacks that's going attract unwanted attention.
-PLUS, it was CHEAPER than both Flowmaster & Magnaflow...with lifetime warranty and no rust. Choice was clear for me. AeroTurbine 2525 is the model I have, I'll never switch to anything else.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by RanchinRam
So then I switched to Magnaflow, which lasted okay, but it also severely limited the flow and not much better sound...Magnaflows tend to drone more.
I'm not sure where you got your info for flow, but most all, if not all, Magnaflow mufflers have a straight-through design. As-in you could drop a golf ball in one end and it would drop straight out the other. The walls of these straight passageways are made of a honeycomb shaped material, which provides the sound dampening. As far as drone, this depends on which Magnaflow you purchased. The very short bodies of some of their mufflers will certainly drone, especially if placed under the cab instead of under the bed. Now I'm not saying your AeroTurbine is not a good muffler, I'm just saying there are many factors which could have caused your bad experience with the Magnaflows, and saying they "severely limited the flow" is just plain wrong.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 AM
ricer
Veteran

I got myMagnaflow pn #11259 SI/SO installed about six months ago and I love it. I have no complaints about it all, especially no complaints about drone. I have hardly any droning in the cab with mine. I would definitely recommend it to others.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram 4.7 Hushpower or Flowmaster 40