3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How is your ride quality???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM
jerzey111
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is your ride quality???

Hey guys. I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much from my ram when it comes to ride comfort.

My problem is that i get little vibrations while crusing on a highway. I mean on a smooth road i still get some vibration not too much but enough to annoy me. I just got my wheels checked but everything is aligned and balanced so that cant be the reason. Now question for you guys. How is your ride on smooth road??

Thanks I just want to know if I need to dig deeper and see if there is something wrong or if it's just the nature of the beast.

Edit: I have 06 2wd with stock 20 rims and cooper ltz

Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're positive the balance was done correctly, there's a chance a tire is out-of-round, but that must be fairly infrequent any more. I guess we need a more detailed description of the vibration.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a similar vibration but it's random. This happened with stock tires and is identical with my LTZ's. I would have to suspect it's the clearance within the stock tierod ends that causes this because if I stop at the store and jump back on the highway, it won't happen, but if I keep on driving it takes a long time before the shimmy goes away.
Very smooth other than that and sort of floaty on the highway within the front end. I have airbags in the back and stock shocks all around.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess it's relative. I mean how much vibration is more than normal?

Personally, I've always owned 4x4 trucks, almost all SFA trucks and lifted. So even with my lifted IFS truck with pretty aggressive off-road tires, I think my truck rides like a Caddy.
Now if I always owned Caddies, I'd probably think my truck is a harsh riding POS...

Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM
jerzey111
Professional

Hmmm I really don't know how to explain better. I get no vibrations in the steering wheel but I just feel it. Seems like its in the back. I actually just replaced a bent rim as a result of this " quest" for better ride. It got little better but its still there.

My other half drives a solara and she always says it shakes. Then some of my buddies say its normal so that's why I wanted to see what you guys have to say about the ride quality but it seems that it should ride better. What else can I look into to try to find this?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't someone try the lead shot that goes inside the tire? I'm still interested in trying that.

The LTZs weigh so much I'm not surprised that they might ride a little rough at highway speeds, even with road force balancing. That's just a lot of rubber to be spinning at high speeds for it to be totally counteracted by weights on the wheel itself. I'm interested in the dynamic balancing shot to see if it improves things.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Dynamic balancing works pretty good. I used seamless Airsoft BB's in my tires and it worked well. I looked on DynaBead's website for the weight to use for my size of tires.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
bleachcola
Rookie

mine is better than my superduty and it has more miles (mainly bc the SD has a solid front axle and dually rear)

Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by jerzey111
How is your ride on smooth road??

Edit: I have 06 2wd with stock 20 rims and cooper ltz
I have a stock SLT with the 20" rims, as well, along with Cooper CTS tires and the truck rides very smoothly. No vibrations.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

The ride is one reason why I still own the truck. I've driven Chevy 1500 (both standard and heavy duty (yes they make/made a 1500HD) and Ford F150 and F250 Power Stroke. I never owned any of those but have driven them, and every time it makes me appreciate even more how nice my RAM rides. It's a truck and doesn't ride like a car but it's the nicest riding truck I've ever driven or owned. I don't have any wind noise or strange vibrations at all and over the 7+ years I've owned it, I've yet to touch the suspension for any reason.

Quick Reply: How is your ride quality???