3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Finally made up my mind on 35's..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Devils_Advocate
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made up my mind on 35's..

My procomps were going on 6 years old , with over 60k miles on the.. They were dry rotted and still had good tread left, but I pulled the trigger and went pretty aggressive this time around

Had the truck for almost 5 years now ?? something like that.. only thing it has needed has been a battery and tires. It's made multiple trips to Tennessee and Michigan from Florida... my wife drives it more than me when our daughter is using her car. I drive the Suby daily, and the mustang that makes a cameo is the project..

Here are the stats - I wanted to stay OEM rims for a clean look.. aftermarket truck rims just make me upset 99% of the time..

35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers - 1/4" hub spacer to clear the upper control arms in the front. No rubbing at all. I have the T-bars cranked since I bought it and I have no uneven wear or handling issues.. the last tires worn perfect and got over 60k.. I measured the rockers on the truck and there was less than 1/4 height difference front to back... There is about 8 inches between the top of the front tire , and the fender. Don't plan on lifting, I don't like the 6" lifts , if any I wish there was a 3" suspension... but there isn't.

Before (265/70/17)

After

Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 02-12-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHy not get a 1 inch Body lift? Truck looks really good!!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
gkperformance

From that shot it looks like there is way more than a 1/4 gap between the tire and upper control arm? I want to go with 35's myself but havnt had time to even try to level the truck yet and the tires were brand new when i bought the truck 3 months ago. Oh well I guess I will just wait a little while

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks great! I am going to have to give my next tire some serious thought. Been a Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek Guy for over 12 years now, but I really like those Trail Grapplers and the Terra Grapplers on my Grand Cherokee have been really good so far. I think it's gonna come down to Mickey MTZs or the Trail Grapps. Butunless something unforeseen pops up, it'll be a while. 34k miles on my Cepek FCIIs and they are just now beginning to show slight treadwear. I would imagine I'll probably get close to 70k out of them...

Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I now have 21,000 miles on my trail grapplers and they still look pretty good. Just got back from a trip to Idaho and back. Went through snow and a sh*t load of mud, tires did fantastic and clean themselves very well.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Where did you get your 1/4 spacers?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Devils_Advocate
Amateur

Thanks for the compliments! The tires barely cleared when mounted, so we decided to put the spaces on. It was something they had in stock at TireKingdom here in town.

Arctodus - thats reassuring ! my wife and parents are taking the truck to northern michigan at the end of the month , I need to replace my transfer case linkage that fell off the truck first.. stupid design! What psi do you run your tires at ?

Hammer - It was between these and Toyo Open country's. These were in stock. That's about all I needed to hear at the time.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I do like those stock 17's. Were they OEM on your truck or from a different year?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Devils_Advocate
Amateur

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I do like those stock 17's. Were they OEM on your truck or from a different year?
oem for that year. I don't see many of them around.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When running around town, I run at 45psi, my tires are rated "E" so they can run a little stiff. When on long trips, I air up to 55 psi for better mileage and the highways are smoother than city roads. I think you will like these tires and like you, it was a toss up between these and the Toyos.

Quick Reply: Finally made up my mind on 35's..