3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What are the Cons of Lifting your truck? Wear,MPG, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 AM
AP577
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the Cons of Lifting your truck? Wear,MPG, Etc.

I am looking into lifting my truck and am doing a ton of research and just needed some things clarified.

I want to either do a 4" Spindle Lift and some Blocks to the rear
(Maybe add 3" Suspension Lift later on)

Or

6 Inch suspension lift, either a Rough Country or Pro Comp
(Local Shop has a deal going on for 6inch Pro Comp for $1500 Installed)

Some things I am concerned about are The loss of MPG, Handling and wear on your front end.

Could someone elaborate?

About much of mpg do you lose, what about power?
Is it necessary to regear with 35s?

Also, What kind of wear does it do to your truck and how long\how many miles do you expect the parts on your truck to last before they are worn out and need replacement?

What lift is best as far as Cost, Reliability, Handling, Etc.

Or if someone could list Pro's and Cons

Thanks in advance from a Truck suspension Noob.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
JDG103
Veteran

We need to know what kind of truck you have is it RC or QC and is it 4x2 or 4x4

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raising the cab higher in the air will certainly cause reduced MPG. What is your axle ratio on your truck. You could probably handle the 35" tire with a 3.92 ratio although higher is better. Is most of your mileage around town or highway? I would say you can expect at least 5-10% drop in MPG. Most people that have the big lifts generally have 4x4s.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest con about lifting your truck is it'll hurt your back.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
03whiteram
Professional
Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the bigger the meat on the wheels, the harder it is to turn them.. rotational weight is x4.. if your current wheel/tire combo weigh in the range of 100ea, turning them takes 4x the effort.. so, 1600lbs of your weight in motion is tires..

my motometal 951's and cepek 35" (20") weigh almost 170lbs each.. the effort to roll them is MUCH more substantial than stock.. this is hard on the engine where it's weakest (bottom end).. it's hard to find a cruising speed (not that it's easy on stock, but it's certainly compounded with bigger/heavier)..

it's terrible on transmissions.. it's rough on differentials.. all the steering components are under much higher stress rates.. they will fail much sooner than their rated expectancy..

if you NEED the ground clearance, lift it.. if you don't- don't.. that is my opinion, and that is all it is.. if you're looking for looks alone, turn the torsion keys and get some aggressive tires- and shoot for that look.. most laymen won't know it's not lifted..

oh- and the weight of the parts and pieces in that kit that are put on to replace stock parts are more than a little heavier than stock- i didn't say stronger, i said heavier- as in a different compound of metal.. they are plenty strong, but the costs are cut by using different steels.. that will also play a roll in everything about the truck- the way it rides, shocks, getting and keeping it in motion.. ect..

Last edited by drewactual; 02-15-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
AP577
Amateur

The info on my truck is in my signature.. 2002 1500 5.9L QC 2WD.

So what can I expect to go bad in my front end and how long until they need to be replaced? How long is this vs leaving it stock?

And what are the pro's and cons of spindle lifts vs suspension

Thanks for the responses

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Biggest pro for the spindle lift is that you're going to keep a completely stock ride, and nothing is going to wear faster because of it. You can easily get 6" up front with the 4" spindle and 2" longer coils or a 2" coil spacer. Because of your year, you could even get 3" coils or coil spacers without issue. Downside of the longer coils is usually stiffer ride, and cheap coils tend to sag, eventually making your front end uneven. Not an issue with quality coils or the coil spacers. If you're worried about parts wear, that really depends on the rims and tires you end up with, as larger/heavier wheels/tires will wear your hub bearings quicker. Also, longer coils or spacers may wear your ball joints a little faster.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Reiter

I have a 2500 so my suspension is different but the aspects of lifting a truck are the same.

The tire size and weight is a big factor on MPG, the taller the tire the harder it is on the gear ratio to turn them. -mpg The heavier they are has the same affect creating more rolling mass. -mpg

As far as wear and tear, your suspension in theory will wear faster like brakes and joints. By upgrading to quality parts this shouldnt be too much of a concern. The ride quality will be sacrificed a little bit but I think the overall vision of the road that you gain is far out weighed. Ive avoided countless accidents by being able to see above everyone.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Cons: Lower MPG, all driveline and steering components will wear faster (although you have less to worry about than an IFS 4x4), higher engine & transmission strain (and theoretically shorter life), less driveability - more body roll, much higher turning radius, effective gear ratio is lowered considerably with larger tires and I'm sure there are a few more I'm not thinking of off hand.

Pros: more room for larger tires which equates to higher ground clearance, chicks dig it...

Quick Reply: What are the Cons of Lifting your truck? Wear,MPG, Etc.