3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fog light protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Woodbeef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light protection

Anyone found a good way to protect the factory fog lights?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM
08Hemi4K
Professional

I've been trying to figure a good way to protect the fog lights myself. Both of mine were taken out by rocks within 2 years of owning the pickup and I think the stealership wants either $150 or $300 a piece to replace 'em.

The best thing I've found would be taking some guards off of a an aftermarket set and modifying them to fit over the factory lights. I haven't done anything yet since I still haven't replaced the fog lights, so I don't know how much of a PAI it'll be. I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Blacksport
Captain

I used that 3M headlight protector film. It's easy to work with and no god awful grille-like guards. You can see in my sig that you can't even tell I have anything on there! I put it on last summer, and no cracks or peeling. That stuff works wonders!

http://evolvedperformance.com/?p=93

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Originally Posted by Blacksport
I used that 3M headlight protector film. It's easy to work with and no god awful grille-like guards. You can see in my sig that you can't even tell I have anything on there! I put it on last summer, and no cracks or peeling. That stuff works wonders!

http://evolvedperformance.com/?p=93
Didn't know they made such a thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Woodbeef

Bit the bullet and went to the Dealer today. One light was just under $200,the kit with both lights,headlight switch(06-08 type) and wiring harness between lights was $259. I asked about some type of protection for them. They had a thick clear type of flexable mylar type stuff for $29.95. They said they've never had to replace a light once it was covered with stuff.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno how you guys are busting fogs. I think I've broken two fog lights in my life and I've had them on almost every truck I've ever had and most of my/ex wife's SUVs. - and one of the two was when she got in an accident - don't count IMO.

But if I had the issue, I'd be fabricating or modifying something up. The mylar or other type of films work fine, they'll still get hit and still crack, but the film holds it together. I think I'd be finding me a wire off-road light cover of the appropriate size and fabbing up a way to mount it, myself...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Woodbeef

Well the lights are way out on the corner,and just the right height for the sand/gravel/salt mixture that is sent flying out of the plow trucks spinners.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I dunno how you guys are busting fogs. I think I've broken two fog lights in my life and I've had them on almost every truck I've ever had and most of my/ex wife's SUVs. - and one of the two was when she got in an accident - don't count IMO.

But if I had the issue, I'd be fabricating or modifying something up. The mylar or other type of films work fine, they'll still get hit and still crack, but the film holds it together. I think I'd be finding me a wire off-road light cover of the appropriate size and fabbing up a way to mount it, myself...
That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. For work during the summer, I put a lot of miles on outside of town so I run across quite a bit of farm and construction equipment coming off of gravel roads. I've got 2 huge pits in my windshield to prove it.

If I'm gonna dish out a couple bills for new fog lights...I'm gonna protect them with more than clear plastic.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though this is a very old thread, the topic still remains the same ....

I've recently had to work with the 3M protective product. It's not your average film like kitchen plastic wrap. The film was designed to protect financial institutions, government buildings, prisons, aircraft and the like from bullets and bomb shrapnel debris.

Recently, microwave ovens and ranges are using this 3M film too.

Thus, if it can protect those things mentioned above, it should protect the fogs easily.

PS, DO NOT click on the link in the above posting. That company went under. The link will install a computer virus. My AVG stopped it twice.

I wonder if some off-road site or outdoor sporting place might sell the 3M film. One could search.

Quick Reply: Fog light protection