3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I Superchip with 82k??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you didnt go with the site I linked, terrible customer service. Not worth the trouble.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
Glad you didnt go with the site I linked, terrible customer service. Not worth the trouble.

Thanks! Good to know.
I figured for $299.00 (plus tax of course) and you can walk out the door with it and not wait for shipping it's a pretty good deal.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Hammer,
From everything I have read the 3865 does NOT change anything on the transmission as far as firmness or shift points?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

It sure does, you need to purchase the advanced trans tuning program. Then you can fully customize your shift points. It also allows you to reduce torque management which in turn leads to firmer shifting.

EDIT: Yeah it doesn't look like you can on an 02 maybe someone else can chime in with different info, but according to the superchips site it doesn't look like torque management and shift points are available for your year.

Last edited by Dead2Fall; 03-18-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

It's still gonna give you like 30ish HP and 70ish TQ @ 2k-2.5k rpm range.. Still worth it imo.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bastard
Hammer,
From everything I have read the 3865 does NOT change anything on the transmission as far as firmness or shift points?
Obviously you aren't reading in the right places. Straight from the Superchips website:

http://www.superchips.com/Store/Flashpaq.aspx

TRANSMISSION Superchips Optimized transmission performance included on all vehicles including shift points and firmness
Shift points and firmness controls available for many vehicles
Superchips tunes all transmissions for drivability improvements to deliver optimized vehicle performance

Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Available for:Ram, Dakota, Durango, Charger, Magnum, 300C, 300, Aspen
NOTE: Features vary be year, make, model and engine. Search by vehicle in question to find out the details. All Superchips tuning products for gasoline-fueled vehicles are either covered under CARB Executive Order number or are in a pending state. All non-racing Superchips tuning products for diesel-fueled vehicles are on the CARB products in progress list pending CARB testing and approval.
This is what I see when I look up my Truck on Superchips web site.
https://www.superchips.com/Store/tab...q/Default.aspx

If that is the case then the tow function is worthless and really that's why I bought it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bastard

Available for:Ram, Dakota, Durango, Charger, Magnum, 300C, 300, Aspen
NOTE: Features vary be year, make, model and engine. Search by vehicle in question to find out the details. All Superchips tuning products for gasoline-fueled vehicles are either covered under CARB Executive Order number or are in a pending state. All non-racing Superchips tuning products for diesel-fueled vehicles are on the CARB products in progress list pending CARB testing and approval.
This is what I see when I look up my Truck on Superchips web site.
https://www.superchips.com/Store/tab...q/Default.aspx

If that is the case then the tow function is worthless and really that's why I bought it.

The transmission lines are firmer with the tow tune, there is an almost 20 HP and 30 TQ gain with the tow tune (keep in mind that although timing is retarded considerably from the Performance Tune - you still need to run 91 octane or higher with the tow tune). The torque curve is considerably lower in the RPM band with the tow tune than without it.

So define "Worthless"...

I use the TOW TUNE when I hook up the dual axle trailer with a big honkin' Kubota tractor and a rough cutter on it and see a HUGE difference from the stock tune when I pull it.

Name:  0808091829-1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  104.1 KB

But if you feel no difference - Superchips has a 30 day "buy back" policy... However I might add that your question when you started this thread was "Should I Superchip with 82K?" meaning was it safe to install the product on your truck with 82k miles on it. YOU did not mention towing applications until post #5.

Now if you would have asked "What is the best thing I can do to improve my towing performance?" in your initial post, I would have said 1) 4.56 gears, 2) lose the 20" wheels for 17" wheels and then 3) a tuner. IN THAT ORDER...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The old 5.9's dont have as much tranny tuning capability (the only gear that is electronically controlled is o/d- the rest are hydraulic). The newer transmissions are fully electronic, which allows for a lot more tweaking.

What s/c will do is dial in the torque management to give you firmer, quicker shifts which will result in extended tranny life (gets the tranny off of the clutches faster).

DO NOT buy the advanced trans tuning package, it is for the 545rfe transmission. You have a late generation 46re I believe.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The transmission lines are firmer with the tow tune, there is an almost 20 HP and 30 TQ gain with the tow tune (keep in mind that although timing is retarded considerably from the Performance Tune - you still need to run 91 octane or higher with the tow tune). The torque curve is considerably lower in the RPM band with the tow tune than without it.

So define "Worthless"...

I use the TOW TUNE when I hook up the dual axle trailer with a big honkin' Kubota tractor and a rough cutter on it and see a HUGE difference from the stock tune when I pull it.

But if you feel no difference - Superchips has a 30 day "buy back" policy... However I might add that your question when you started this thread was "Should I Superchip with 82K?" meaning was it safe to install the product on your truck with 82k miles on it. YOU did not mention towing applications until post #5.

Now if you would have asked "What is the best thing I can do to improve my towing performance?" in your initial post, I would have said 1) 4.56 gears, 2) lose the 20" wheels for 17" wheels and then 3) a tuner. IN THAT ORDER...
First let me be clear,
I am not pointing the finger here just posting what I found on the Superchips web site. I realize my post was questioning whether or not to Superchip with 82k. It just kinda ran into a towing thing for me. I purchased the tuner used so no return will happen but I don't want to return it. I will reep the benefits of the extra HP and TQ. I was just hoping for some extra help with the soft transmission. That being said I will probably re-gear down the road when my original LSD rear end explodes.....tick....tick....tick....tick So in all the tuner is not worthless I guess just the transmission tune\adjustment is and from what I was reading I thought that's all the tow tune did was firm and adjust shifting for better towing. Oh and I am thinking about getting rid of the rims too if I can find something that looks decent in their place??

Quick Reply: Should I Superchip with 82k??