3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I Superchip with 82k??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Superchip with 82k??

Hey guys! Wondering what your opinions are on getting a superchips for my 02 Ram with 82k. I've talked to a couple friends and they are advising not to do it. They think it may cause issues to come up with that many miles already on the motor/trans. What do you all think?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

And what would be the difference between installing a tuner on a truck with 8 miles on it or 82k? If this was a 4.7 or a Hemi I would say that there would be a .001% chance a Superchips would cause an issue and I say cause but really I should say expose an undetected issue.

Now the 5.9 was significantly de-tuned at the factory as a band aid for a weak plenum gasket (Do a search in the 2nd Gen section or Google "Death Flash") which was a cheap fix instead of actually fixing the problem. I'd say if you've never had to replace the plenum gasket with one that actually fixes the issue (like a Hughes plenum kit) then yeah, I suppose adding 40 HP and 40 TQ could push the plenum on it's way out, but it's just accelerating something that was going to happen eventually anyway.
Short of that I see no problem with putting a tuner on your truck.

Hell, in theory you should actually extend the life of the transmission because a Superchips tune firms the tranny lines which reduces slippage...

BTW I have a Superchips tuned 4.7 HO in my Grand Cherokee with 104,000 miles on it and it runs STRONG!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
And what would be the difference between installing a tuner on a truck with 8 miles on it or 82k?
That's exactly what I said! but I could see where it may cause something to fail that was already on it's way out a little sooner due to the added HP/TQ

Now the 5.9 was significantly de-tuned at the factory as a band aid for a weak plenum gasket (Do a search in the 2nd Gen section or Google "Death Flash") which was a cheap fix instead of actually fixing the problem. I'd say if you've never had to replace the plenum gasket with one that actually fixes the issue (like a Hughes plenum kit) then yeah, I suppose adding 40 HP and 40 TQ could push the plenum on it's way out, but it's just accelerating something that was going to happen eventually anyway.
Short of that I see no problem with putting a tuner on your truck.
Yeah I have done quite a bit of searching and trying to study up on the "Death Flash" That is what made me want to go with the Superchips. With HP and TQ gains like that it's worth every penny. My plenum has not been replaced but it hasn' blown either.....yet. I actually posted here last week on whether I should replace it or not but as user 380tom. I changed my user name after you said my truck was a bastard having 2nd gen drivetrain and 3rd gen body. It's silver and a bastard so hense the new name.[/quote]

Hell, in theory you should actually extend the life of the transmission because a Superchips tune firms the tranny lines which reduces slippage...
Now that's what I like to hear! I tow a travel trailer and though my tranny is fine now I am trying to find ways to keep it that way.[/quote]

BTW I have a Superchips tuned 4.7 HO in my Grand Cherokee with 104,000 miles on it and it runs STRONG!!!
Well that's good to know. I would like to keep this truck for a while. It is just a weekender because I have a company vehicle so I will probably only put between 3-5k on it a year.
BTW I still owe you a beer for finding the 1" spacers for me

Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM
ricer
Veteran

You could always switch to the "tow tune" when you are pulling your travel trailer and then back to the "performance tune" when your not.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Originally Posted by ricer
You could always switch to the "tow tune" when you are pulling your travel trailer and then back to the "performance tune" when your not.
That's exactly what I want it for. I am really not disapointed with the power of my truck and not really looking to haul a$$ all over the place. I really need the added power while towing but ..............In the name of research I'm sure I will have to do some WOT runs to see what kind of boost I get?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Sure.

Hammer is spot on. The 5.9 was de-tuned like crazy from factory. You'll enjoy running the tuning.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Yeah. I'm trying to find one used to save some $$$$ I still got CAI and exhaust to do.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

site no good.

Last edited by Dead2Fall; 03-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Thanks Dead2fall I appreciate the link. Saves me a couple $$$ for other stuff my wife swears I don't need.

Question for you guys.......Does the stock tune on the Superchips get me back to stock pre-death flash?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

I just found that PepBoys has a Superchips flashpaq for $299.00. Just thought I'd share. That's the cheapest I have found yet........

Quick Reply: Should I Superchip with 82k??