3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Leveled, New Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_sorenson
beautiful truck, differential cover is sweet, i want the osiris on still though haha
Thanks man. I busted my butt washing & waxing it this past Saturday, and then it goes and rains today. Oh well, we could use the rain anyway. Not sure what the osiris comment means though...

Originally Posted by ZWilson07
Yeah I def know what you mean. Id love to remove the whole thing, wire wheel and do some eastwood chassis black/something similar to every vehicles underside. But unless you just have time to put one in the garage, tear it apart, and drive something else until its finished; it usually just stays as one of those things on the to do list.
Yeah, I imagine it will probably stay on my list for a long time due to the amount of work that would be involved.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
DWCEngland03

The diff cover looks good. This past weekend I picked up a can of Engine block paint in red from Autozone and hit both diff covers with it. The paint went on amazingly easy and even.

I am considering picking up a set of Terra Grapplers in the fall as well. I have 60k on the wranglers and got lucky last winter with no snow but I know that I will need new tires when fall arrives and the roads are covered in wet leaves. Is the road noise difference noticeable with the Terra's?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

what do the 295's end up being sae wise i know 305's are 33''s

usually in the 34 area. It really just depends on the brand and you can't always just go by a 305 series or 315. The bigger you get, the bigger the difference each brand can be. I know alot of 37's that actually measure in at 36's and some brands are almost a 38. Usually if you go to each manufacturers website, they will list the specific measurement they have for there tire.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, Nitto is saying their 295/70/18 is coming in at 34.41x11.77.

Which alot of brands 315's will be around that same 34 range but will be wider, say around the 12.5 mark. Thats one reason he doesn't need spacers because he doesn't have a 12.5 wide series tire but wanted the taller 33-35 look. Nitto is one of the few brands that seem to be running a 295 series tire at this point in time. Most others are still with the standard 32x11.5/33x12.5/35.12.5 or 285/305/315 series obviously depending on what size wheel your running. But still to answer your question, thats the size that 295 is coming in for that particular tire. Just keep in mind to check the specifics for each brand because you can buy the same "size" tire from 2 different brands and some will look noticeably different than the others.

Last edited by ZWilson07; 08-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

musta missed it thanks, its like buying shoes why the hell cant everyone be uniform lol

Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

Originally Posted by DWCEngland03
The diff cover looks good. This past weekend I picked up a can of Engine block paint in red from Autozone and hit both diff covers with it. The paint went on amazingly easy and even.

I am considering picking up a set of Terra Grapplers in the fall as well. I have 60k on the wranglers and got lucky last winter with no snow but I know that I will need new tires when fall arrives and the roads are covered in wet leaves. Is the road noise difference noticeable with the Terra's?
The Terra's are very quiet. I can't hear them at all really, but my exhaust has a pretty decent rumble to it, so that may be drowning out the tires if they're making any noise. The Cooper Zeons I had on it were very quiet as well and were excellent in the rain and the snow. I hope we get like a 12" snowfall one day this winter just so I can see how the Terra's perform.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

usually in the 34 area. It really just depends on the brand and you can't always just go by a 305 series or 315. The bigger you get, the bigger the difference each brand can be. I know alot of 37's that actually measure in at 36's and some brands are almost a 38. Usually if you go to each manufacturers website, they will list the specific measurement they have for there tire.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, Nitto is saying their 295/70/18 is coming in at 34.41x11.77.

Which alot of brands 315's will be around that same 34 range but will be wider, say around the 12.5 mark. Thats one reason he doesn't need spacers because he doesn't have a 12.5 wide series tire but wanted the taller 33-35 look. Nitto is one of the few brands that seem to be running a 295 series tire at this point in time. Most others are still with the standard 32x11.5/33x12.5/35.12.5 or 285/305/315 series obviously depending on what size wheel your running. But still to answer your question, thats the size that 295 is coming in for that particular tire. Just keep in mind to check the specifics for each brand because you can buy the same "size" tire from 2 different brands and some will look noticeably different than the others.
This website helped me out considerably when I was shopping for a wheel & tire combo.

You just plug in the info for your stock wheels & tires on the left side, then plug in the info for whatever wheels & tires you're considering, and it shows you what your setup will look like and if there will be any issues with rubbing.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

musta missed it thanks, its like buying shoes why the hell cant everyone be uniform lol

I agree, I guess just the tolerances aren't that strict. They have a margin they stay within and the bigger the margin, the less they havta throw away or lose money on. Im sure if the tire was out of spec, they could just melt it back down or whatever they do so its not like they'd really be losing hardly any money or time but thats just how it goes. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I know my 33x12.5 duratracs were ****in garbage. They looked good and did their job well but they wouldn't balance out for **** (granted that was spin balancing). Some took upwards of 6-8 ounces to balance which is ridiculous for that size. Now my bfg at's rode like glass and the 2 I had on the front even took less than an ounce which I was amazed by. This was me doing it to as well as others trying at work; it wasn't like it was just some bad shop doing poor work.

Now ive heard others that had no problems at all with their goodyears and the guy I sold my duratracs to had them road force balanced and said they ride great so that could have been all they needed. But at the shop we only had a spin balancer and I didn't feel like paying for road force somewhere else. But ive always had bad experiences with goodyear and the balancing/wobble on them for whatever reason.

Im hoping when I go to nitto mud grapplers that I have a good result because I really really like that tire and want it to work out well.

(sorry for hijacking your thread hoosier)

Last edited by ZWilson07; 08-13-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by Hoosier BigHorn
This website helped me out considerably when I was shopping for a wheel & tire combo.

You just plug in the info for your stock wheels & tires on the left side, then plug in the info for whatever wheels & tires you're considering, and it shows you what your setup will look like and if there will be any issues with rubbing.

Just make sure you take the info off sites like those with a grain of salt. While those sites mean well, sometime their info can be poor at best. You can't know everything about every setup for every vehicle and there is alot of setups that im sure you could prove them wrong over. Just something to keep in mind just like something as small as the torsion to coilover change in between the 3rd gen rams can change alot of what setups you can run or what you need to know or as drastic as the differences say a charger, charger hemi, and charger 300 srt8 (only one option besides 20's or bigger that you can run on stock brembo setup) that can cause for wheel and tire options between brakes/suspension/rubbing.

The best thing to do is research off the forum and see what works and what doesn't, or what offset you need to stay within, etc. The sticky here really gives good details on what you need to know to stay within to stay away from unexpected problems.

Last edited by ZWilson07; 08-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hoosier BigHorn
Thanks man. I busted my butt washing & waxing it this past Saturday, and then it goes and rains today. Oh well, we could use the rain anyway. Not sure what the osiris comment means though...
sorry i meant oasis, theyre sweet

Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

Just make sure you take the info off sites like those with a grain of salt. While those sites mean well, sometime their info can be poor at best. You can't know everything about every setup for every vehicle and there is alot of setups that im sure you could prove them wrong over. Just something to keep in mind just like something as small as the torsion to coilover change in between the 3rd gen rams can change alot of what setups you can run or what you need to know or as drastic as the differences say a charger, charger hemi, and charger 300 srt8 (only one option besides 20's or bigger that you can run on stock brembo setup) that can cause for wheel and tire options between brakes/suspension/rubbing.

The best thing to do is research off the forum and see what works and what doesn't, or what offset you need to stay within, etc. The sticky here really gives good details on what you need to know to stay within to stay away from unexpected problems.
Very true. I used it in conjunction with the wheel & tire sticky thread because I had a hard time visualizing what the offset changes were going to do as far as moving the tires in towards the suspension or out away from it.

Quick Reply: Leveled, New Wheels & Tires