3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Preventative Maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZWilson07
Well to much additive is and can be a big deal. It can cause the limited slip to not work correctly or even at all plus it can decrease the resistance/viscosity as well as how it performs against oxidation resistance of the oil. Obviously I assume it would have to be a significant amount to affect things drastically but if you had an oil like RP that was already made with it in mind, then you add 2 bottles of additive because that's what the manual calls for with some specific vehicle; then you could have a problem.

Some aftermarket lsd's and lockers recommend against even synthetic oil because it can affect how their clutches work and how it was designed. Im sure gear driven ones probably aren't as bad.

You just really need to check with the manufacturer of the oil or fluid you plan on using and what they recommend for your vehicle or what the manufacturer of your lsd or locker recommend for their product if you have an aftermarket setup.

Like stated Amsoil wanted me to use additive in mine even with their synthetic fluid but not the same amount that you pick up at the factory. They actually had a separate one that they developed and had a big difference in the amount in the bottle. While alot of Royal Purple people say it specifically states to not use additive with it because it has already been created with that in mind as well as a few other brands do that.

The best is to check for your specific setup and brand your going to use.
I could see to much additive being a problem and since i didnt get a aftermarket rear end :/ ill just stick with dodges call on what and how much to add to the pos lsd!lol

Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Nope. You would see a line that mentions "Anit-Spin Differential" if you had the LSD. Which is weird that a 4x4 doesn't come with it. But you can always add an aftermarket one!

how much are those? i know i have open diffs and im sort of dreading this upcoming winter knowing i dont have full 4x4

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I could see to much additive being a problem and since i didnt get a aftermarket rear end :/ ill just stick with dodges call on what and how much to add to the pos lsd!lol

Yeah id just do that and thats what I would do in the same thing. If it grenades the rear than so be it. Your going to have to do a full rebuild if it goes anyways and usually when I go aftermarket gears or diff, I have everything done new anyways. Just hope it doesn't damage the rear diff.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by Five.SevenRAM
how much are those? i know i have open diffs and im sort of dreading this upcoming winter knowing i dont have full 4x4

Your def going to want to go aftermarket. Depends on if you go with a limited slip or locker or what brand. To buy the new carrier and pay to have it setup, your probably looking at 600-1000 depending on the place and everything you do for the rear. It really just depends on alot of factors and id need more info from ya to narrow it down more.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. The cost will depend on brand, LSD or locker (which a rare and expensive for our trucks), and the shop. Make sure you hunt around for labor prices as many places will price match the lowest price you can find

Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

not really sure what brands are better than others, not my area of expertise. i would really like LSD and i know a local mechanic whos rates are pretty fair because hes a good friend of my dads. like i said im just curious because id really like to have true 4 wheel drive when we get 8 feet of snow up here.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I made a Sticky in FAQ section for Fluid Specifications for the Ram
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nce-specs.html

Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by Five.SevenRAM
not really sure what brands are better than others, not my area of expertise. i would really like LSD and i know a local mechanic whos rates are pretty fair because hes a good friend of my dads. like i said im just curious because id really like to have true 4 wheel drive when we get 8 feet of snow up here.
I mean your looking at around 400-500 for either detroit or auburn lsd plus what your going to pay for it to be setup which will probably atleast be a couple hundred. Thats not including if you go with new gears, new seals/bearings, etc.

I guess it wouldn't be to bad if the guy is going to do it for real cheap, but I will be regearing when I do mine, so im going to have to buy new gears, and new everything. Plus then im going to have to do the front, so mine is going to be a big time expense.

Also your not going to be able to do anything for the front. At this time there is nothing made for our front axles so your stuck with being open up front. It sucks but its just what it is.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

Originally Posted by ZWilson07
I mean your looking at around 400-500 for either detroit or auburn lsd plus what your going to pay for it to be setup which will probably atleast be a couple hundred. Thats not including if you go with new gears, new seals/bearings, etc.

I guess it wouldn't be to bad if the guy is going to do it for real cheap, but I will be regearing when I do mine, so im going to have to buy new gears, and new everything. Plus then im going to have to do the front, so mine is going to be a big time expense.

Also your not going to be able to do anything for the front. At this time there is nothing made for our front axles so your stuck with being open up front. It sucks but its just what it is.

dang, well at least i can get the back done, thanks for the info and good luck re-gearing your truck.

Quick Reply: Preventative Maintenance questions