3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Preventative Maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Upstate NY'er
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventative Maintenance questions

so i just got my new 08 1500 hemi with 69K miles on it...i bought it from the dodge dealer but have no clue on maintenance history. i'm pretty good at doing my own stuff and have a decently equipped garage...i want to clean the throttle body and have searched and read thru all 8 pages of posts...is there a how to on that? i think i'm going to get an estimate from the dealer on doing the tranny flush and filters, both diff. fluids, spark plugs/wires, flush & fill rad...should this about sum it up??

Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Yup pretty good start. I found a how to but not on this forum. There are how to's though for sure on some of the other things you mentioned. Just read through the how to section.

Last edited by kenneymc; 08-17-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by Upstate NY'er
so i just got my new 08 1500 hemi with 69K miles on it...i bought it from the dodge dealer but have no clue on maintenance history. i'm pretty good at doing my own stuff and have a decently equipped garage...i want to clean the throttle body and have searched and read thru all 8 pages of posts...is there a how to on that? i think i'm going to get an estimate from the dealer on doing the tranny flush and filters, both diff. fluids, spark plugs/wires, flush & fill rad...should this about sum it up??

If I was you id do atleast the plugs/wires , and both diffs yourself because they honestly are quite easy if you know how to turn a wrench.

I wouldn't even consider the transmission flush/filters to be hard, just more of a pain than anything and I can see why someone would like to just drive to a place n have em hook their machine up and be done with it and the same reasoning with the coolant flush. Only thing I don't like about that is I like to specifically only use Amsoil fluids and alot of places aren't big on you supplying your own oil/fluids and all that kind of jazz. They are probably going to want $500 in labor for all that.

Last edited by ZWilson07; 08-17-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That should pretty well do it. It's very easy to clean the throttle body yourself, just a couple bolts removing the hemi hat, 4 bolts around the TB, and yank it off. Then just use non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a rag to clean it out. Keep the sensor to the top so you don't get any cleaner on it, other than that you should be good to go. If you've got a setup to handle all those fluids, I would definitely consider doing it yourself, none of those things are all that hard, there are diys posted

heres the throttle body
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...y-hemivec.html

heres the diff fluid
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-tutorial.html

heres the tranny
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ion-flush.html

Good thread about changing coolant
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-how-much.html

All the info you need is here somewhere, if'n i were you i'd do it myself and save the $ for other mod's you will inevitably want to do if you spend much time on this forum, but if you have the extra cash and don't want to take the time, I understand that as well.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

You said both Diffs so im assuming you have a 4x4 make sure you put the right additive in the diffs or you will have new ones quicker than you wanted!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

I used royal purple in my diffs, no additive needed, and yes I have LSD.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Upstate NY'er
Amateur

yes it is a 4x4...what type of fluid am i looking for specifically for both of them?? i am pretty confident that i can do a lot of this myself and have been reading a ton of the DIY links

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by kenneymc
It really depends on the particular fluid. I know even my amsoil synthetics still sometimes take friction modifier, atleast my ford 8.8 did. So id double check with them just to be safe.

yes it is a 4x4...what type of fluid am i looking for specifically for both of them?? i am pretty confident that i can do a lot of this myself and have been reading a ton of the DIY links
Really whatever differential fluid brand you want to use and the appropriate weight that brand carries for your truck. Sometimes synthetics will read different than what your manual states but still correct for your truck. It really just depends.

Im a huge fan of Amsoil but if I could never get amsoil and didn't get 25% off on it, id use Royal Purple.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Upstate NY'er
Amateur

well i just cleaned the throttle body, took maybe 30 mins...it was pretty gummed up...1 down and numerous ones to go!!! i guess if i can't be wrenching on my sled this will surely take it's place!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kenneymc
Im not arguing with you but im pretty sure you need the additive?

Quick Reply: Preventative Maintenance questions