3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Who likes reinforcing their frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i'm with ya on this one kasper! good work! i hate the crumple zones, on my 2nd ged i plated and reenforced the frame up front with a big runell bumper... one night having a too much fun on a rain slicked, dirt (mud) road i ran down a 4'' steel pole full of concrete with a very large cement base at about 40 mph, the pole was about hood high, it bent the pole and completely tore it outa the ground, while launching my 8000+ lb truck in the air, with nothing more than a small scratch on the bumper,(hit on the passenger corner) my cousin with an identical but stock truck did about a 5-10 mph slide in the mud into a small tree on his passenger corner, took out his, fender, bumper, headlight, bent the farme a little, and some steering damage, the way i see it, if mine was stock, it probably would have tore the whole side of the truck off, probably would have totaled it....
Thanks man! I appreciate it, it is actually some of your fab work that inspired me!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm neither here nor there on the issue. I respect the work you put into it and understand where you're coming from with the reinforcement, I also understand the other side as I would NOT want to see what those would do in an accident! They basically look like they would turn into two spears.

Good work on it all tho. On a completely unrelated not where in the eff did you find the 8 inch lift??? I see fabtec but have not been able to find more than 4 inch kits

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Albertaramfan
I'm neither here nor there on the issue. I respect the work you put into it and understand where you're coming from with the reinforcement, I also understand the other side as I would NOT want to see what those would do in an accident! They basically look like they would turn into two spears.

Good work on it all tho. On a completely unrelated not where in the eff did you find the 8 inch lift??? I see fabtec but have not been able to find more than 4 inch kits
There's a bunch of ways people get huge lifts. 1) is all custom from a shop. 2) adding a regular 6" lift then adding a 3" body lift. 3) after people add lifts on top of body lifts, they will add a leveling kit/ crank the torsions for an extra inch. 4) 2wd's can get 3" lift spindles, then 2.5" coil spacer or larger springs, then a 3" body lift.

I question the safety of adding a variety of different lifts and I'm not really into the style of an overly lifted truck. I like either a leveled or a 3-4" lifted truck max.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 AM
KasperR34
All Star

I have the fabtech 6 inch on here with the level keys I originally put in the truck, and I don't have those set to max yet. Also I have the fabtech add a leaf (which was supposed to put the rear as high as the front) and I had to buy 4 inch blocks (the rear still doesn't sit as tall as the front, lol)

I have no body lift, that would compromise the integrity of the bumpers and such.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what you've done is pretty cool. You've made a fun truck. I see Izero's point (you must be an engineer izero to know about 3rd derivative jerk, haha) about the safety of others, but what the heck, you only live once. Hopefully you never have to find out if someone will sue you.

Nice work anyway, bottom line is if you like it then stick to your guns. Everyone has their opinion.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy F$%k dude...haha I was thinking at first the plate is the same principle behind the tow hooks for the 1500's with a flat piece of 1/4" steel between the 2 front members. Then I seen the whole rollcage upfront...lmao
A bit overkill yeah, But I like it. Do you plan on running anyone off the road soon?....hahahahaha

Originally Posted by Izero
SO, in short what you have done is turned your truck into a 1.5-2 ton heap of metal that will most certainly seriously injure if not kill the person you hit as well as turn your gradual deceleration into the equivalent of hitting the pavement from upwards of 3 stories high...

Oh and if there is ever an accident investigation you can bet that if someone died from you hitting them (even if it was their fault) you can expect a MAJOR lawsuit for "bypassing" safety measures on your vehicle... There is a reason that automotive manufacturers make cars crumple instead of stay ridged... I hate to be on the road with people that do this type of crap.. sorry bro no offense but that kind of crap really pisses me off...

Also looks like a MIG welder was used, hard to tell from pictures, so it isn't as strong as if a TIG welder or Stick Welder was used, as those welds most likely wouldn't hold under force......
Originally Posted by Izero
Doesn't matter unless he has a $4000+ MIG welder those welds aren't going to be strong enough.... and even then it's still sketchy b/c MIG welders don't always penetrate through the seam of the two parent metals... That is why you see double (or higher) TIG welds on structural members...

So, then in theory, what he has done is reniforced his frame while offroading, YET, if he were to get into an accident with those welds done by a "cheap mig", it would still indeed create a crumple zone when they break due to their weakness? Just sayin. Can't argue it both ways even though at the bottom of your first quoted post you say it prob wouldnt hold up anyways.

As far as a lawsuit. i doubt it. You can modify your vehicle anyway you please as long as you don't remove airbags or safety equip devices.
There's no resitriction on adding reinforcement.etc.
The ONLY way he could get sued by anyone, is a passenger in his truck if they didn't know about his modifications and their injuries were a direct result of his modifications.
If they knew, no lawsuit. His insurance would still have to pay out regardless, even if they found out what modifications he had done as long as it wasnt taking away from the factory equip saftey features.

If he caused serious injury to someone else in another car, they wouldn't have anymore grounds for increased lawsuit than if his truck were stock.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Jareski
Veteran

Just put a disclaimer on your dash for passengers to read. There. No lawsuit.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jareski
Just put a disclaimer on your dash for passengers to read. There. No lawsuit.

hahahahahaa. It'd still be a very tough case regardless. You could argue the fact that your pasenger never asked how the crash test results were. Because, when was the last time you asked a driver how their car has done in crash results before egtting in their car..lol..Prob never. Cars dont even have to be rated to be considered safe.
Matter of FACT. I have my build sheet right in front of me!!
Guess what?
Frontal Driver and Frontal Passenger ratings: NOT RATED! So there, can't possibly be sued because there's nothing to compare it against...lol

Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
tneville
Professional

I think its sweet!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
KasperR34
All Star

Thanks man!

I just finished adding this plate on, not I only have to finish the push bar!

Name:  2012-12-12_11-44-13_666.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  2012-12-12_11-44-18_888.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  2012-12-12_11-44-28_861.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  162.0 KB

Quick Reply: Who likes reinforcing their frame?