3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Who likes reinforcing their frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or does your driver front tire look a little off? Me likely your light bar!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a badass truck man, i like it. What gears you got in that baby? My only concern would be all the extra weight, but maybe it's not as bad as it looks.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Holy F$%k dude...haha I was thinking at first the plate is the same principle behind the tow hooks for the 1500's with a flat piece of 1/4" steel between the 2 front members. Then I seen the whole rollcage upfront...lmao
A bit overkill yeah, But I like it. Do you plan on running anyone off the road soon?....hahahahaha

So, then in theory, what he has done is reniforced his frame while offroading, YET, if he were to get into an accident with those welds done by a "cheap mig", it would still indeed create a crumple zone when they break due to their weakness? Just sayin. Can't argue it both ways even though at the bottom of your first quoted post you say it prob wouldnt hold up anyways.

As far as a lawsuit. i doubt it. You can modify your vehicle anyway you please as long as you don't remove airbags or safety equip devices.
There's no resitriction on adding reinforcement.etc.
The ONLY way he could get sued by anyone, is a passenger in his truck if they didn't know about his modifications and their injuries were a direct result of his modifications.
If they knew, no lawsuit. His insurance would still have to pay out regardless, even if they found out what modifications he had done as long as it wasnt taking away from the factory equip saftey features.

If he caused serious injury to someone else in another car, they wouldn't have anymore grounds for increased lawsuit than if his truck were stock.

I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry and I can tell you that the law states that no modification is to be made to OEM safety features of a vehicle unless that vehicle is to be used off of public routes of travel.

So you sir are "partially" wrong, "if" you get into an accident and "if" it is deemed after an investigation that your modifications caused injury or death to another person you are in for a major lawsuit, because structural "crumple zones" are considered safety features of vehicles.

As far as the welds holding, you have now introduced a projectile and/or pointed component to the accident which has the potential to cause more damage, as well as possibly redirecting the direction in which force is distributed causing the crumple zone not to operate as intended.

All I am saying is I disagree with this for public travel.

As for the other arguments regarding bull bars and trailer hitches... some of those items are certified for on-road use, but some are noted as to be used "Off-Road Only" which is technically breaking the law... and you never know when you'll meet one of those fantastic law enforcement officers that know exactly what they are looking at and want to give you a hard time.

I only stated what "could" happen not what "will" happen. I don't expect the OP to agree with what I've said, but I wanted to note my opinion from personal and professional experience in my field. I can't even tell you how many accident scenes I've had to investigate with a modified vehicle involved and had to note on a report that modifications have either disabled or negatively impacted the sorry function of intended safety components.

I can also tell you that I love the bull bar look and intend on putting one on my truck, but it will be installed in such a way as to not bypass safety components, because I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd hate to know that a modification that "I" made to my vehicle caused someone death or permanent injury. Just my personal view.

Either way I can appreciate the workmanship and think it's awesome for a trail rig for sure, and there are even ways that this can be done so as to not completely nullify the safety features which might be very profitable for the OP if he takes that route. The Ford SVT Raptor is a prime example of this, go take a real close look at the underside and frame.

Last edited by Izero; 12-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM
KasperR34
All Star

It's my understanding that the SVT Raptor is known to bend in half off road?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they remedied that issue.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Got_Mitch
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KasperR34
It's my understanding that the SVT Raptor is known to bend in half off road?
Its been known and seen done. Even the raptor isnt a true pre runner style truck. Its not meant for pure offroad. Niether is the Ram runner. And besides most owner of Raptors are just posing(same for most lifted trucks in general) in there truck. They bought it for groceries and regular transportation

But with you drove your welded and tacked truck around like they did in those videos youd be throwing welded chunks of metal and sheet metal shards all over the road and most likely need new suspension. Youve taxed your drive train with lift/ tires/ weight. Instead of letting your frame "flex" normally youve tried to keep it ridged, most likely making it bend and tweak. Hopefully your welding will break before damage is done the

Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Xler8er
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lot of smoke blowin around here but KasperR34 thats a bad *** truck.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 PM
KasperR34
All Star

Originally Posted by Xler8er
lot of smoke blowin around here but KasperR34 thats a bad *** truck.
Thank you, sir.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
KasperR34
All Star

Well, here is the last installment of armor:
Name:  2012-12-15_14-52-28_218.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  124.2 KB
Name:  2012-12-15_14-52-13_50.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  75.9 KB
Name:  2012-12-15_14-52-50_818.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  57.6 KB
Name:  2012-12-15_14-52-40_670.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  2012-12-18_23-14-55_460.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  104.1 KB

The two bottom bars I am going to cut and design a crumple zone for, other than that, this Ram is ready for battle. and Yes, that's all 1/2inch plate. I have end caps on the bars now, just didn't get a good pic yet

Also, side lights!

Name:  2012-12-18_23-14-41_97.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.8 KB
Name:  2012-12-18_23-14-27_658.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  2012-12-18_23-09-01_637.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  55.5 KB

72w LED bars on each side

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I scan see you hitting a deer now and it hitting the top of that bar and bending it right over into the grill/hood

Quick Reply: Who likes reinforcing their frame?