3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

no cat, detune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM
1998dieselman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I will call BS also because I know it is BS unless his CEL bulb is blown

HAHA ya probably "black taped" the CEL lol.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dish_towel2000
if i pull the cats on my 07 will it detune the truck or just throw a bad cat code? if it throws a code will a good snapon comp erase the code or will it have to be changed by dodge? thanks
If you remove the cats, as others have stated you power will fall off due to no backpressure. Even if you have a tuner to clear the code, it will return within probably fifty miles, and when you go to the emissions checkers they will be able to see that the reset took place and still fail your test. From what I understand, the computer has to show that your vehicle has run somewhere around 150 miles without a check engine light being on and since yours will never run that long before the light returns, you wont pass the check. I don't know this as FACT, but as something I was told by a person going through something similar to your situation

Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 AM
dish_towel2000
Rookie

kinda resurrecting this thread for a new angle.

I never took the cats off due to the smog reasons, however i heard its legal to run cuttouts before the cat as long as you cant operate them from inside the cab. has to be the crawl under and unbolt the plate type. Anybody know if thats crap? also not for power just for raw noise. thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You should crawl under your truck and see just how impossible it is to put them before the cats.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea you would put a cutout before the MUFFLER. But not the cats. There is not alot of room between the cats and the headers (maybe less than a foot?). Idk why anyone would want to put a cutout before the cat anyways. But it's legal to put a cutout before the muffler and if you get an electric cutout you can operate it while sitting in the cab and you have the option of running a "straight pipe" with the cutout open or regular and quiet when closed

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dish_towel2000
kinda resurrecting this thread for a new angle.

I never took the cats off due to the smog reasons, however i heard its legal to run cuttouts before the cat as long as you cant operate them from inside the cab. has to be the crawl under and unbolt the plate type. Anybody know if thats crap? also not for power just for raw noise. thanks

If you are still running stock cats in the stock location, there is no way to add a cut-out before the cats. There is like 3 inches of pipe between the exhaust manifold and the cats. Not much room and as weed-a-hoe stated, if you'd have crawled under the truck, you would already know this

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
dish_towel2000
Rookie

yea i was thinking of my ranger i forgot how little room there is in there, as soon as weedahoe posted that it clicked lol well looks like its gunna go after the cats, guess its gunna be as loud as i can legally get :/

08 1500 guy i dont know if you have ever had a vehicle with open headers right under you, its stupid loud and at wot the feeling you get in your chest is what i love lol thats why if it was legal i would stick them there. yea i know its legal to use electric cutt outs after the cat but i read that its legal before the cats if you cant contol it from inside as i stated before. prolly crap but just hoping it was legit info.

well thats it thanks guys.

Quick Reply: no cat, detune?