3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Diablo Sport Predator mpg improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM
lkvisser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything else on the predator? Heard that it manages power a little more evenly? Also I thought that the manual recommends 91 oct? Does the 87 tune take all this into consideration? Scared of the "hemi tick"?

Last edited by lkvisser; 04-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
mbehr55
Amateur

I was pleased with the 87 tune except I had hoped for better mileage. As for the "hemi tick," I guess mine has it but with 90K miles it is very faint if that is what it is.

Wished the Trans tune was harder shifting but what it has is better than stock.

Biggest disappointment was the MPG Booster tune. Expected better mileage than it gave.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM
mbehr55
Amateur

My E85 test is finished. The second tank gave me only 12.18 mpg. The cold cranking time also increased to about 3 secs max.

I have now switched back to 87 octane gas and the 87 Performance Tune. Most likely will leave it here as that has given me the best fuel economy, 15.76 mpg. May try to tweak that with a custom tune and/or some mechanical modifications. Will post the results when I do.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM
mbehr55
Amateur

Here it is the end of August and I am still running the 87 perf tune with no other modifications. Mileage seems to have dropped slightly to 15 on average. The brand of gas seems to make a difference of as much as .75 mpg. Texaco seems best followed by Shell and then Valero. The worst is HEB and Walmart. Funny thing is Sam's is better than Walmart.....go figure.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider an e-fan to replace your clutch fan. It will free up some power and mileage.

Only problem is that they're fracking 300 bucks for a good kit fan.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
You might consider an e-fan to replace your clutch fan. It will free up some power and mileage.

Only problem is that they're fracking 300 bucks for a good kit fan.
I've had an e fan on my truck now for about 5 years and haven't seen any mpg gains and cant feel any power gains. I'm not saying don't get one, just that you aren't going to see wonderful things from one. They at least get rid of that noisy clutch fan, and as dude has said...they aint cheap

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
I've had an e fan on my truck now for about 5 years and haven't seen any mpg gains and cant feel any power gains. I'm not saying don't get one, just that you aren't going to see wonderful things from one. They at least get rid of that noisy clutch fan, and as dude has said...they aint cheap
Well, gains may depend on the year I'd guess. Older trucks prolly have heavier fans.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by mbehr55
My E85 test is finished. The second tank gave me only 12.18 mpg. The cold cranking time also increased to about 3 secs max.

I have now switched back to 87 octane gas and the 87 Performance Tune. Most likely will leave it here as that has given me the best fuel economy, 15.76 mpg. May try to tweak that with a custom tune and/or some mechanical modifications. Will post the results when I do.
Why did you do an E-85 test
Ethanol compared to gasoline is terrible as far as fuel economy goes. Also I've read somewhere it takes like twice as much ethanol to make the same power as gasoline.Ethanol also only gets somewhere around 2/3 the mileage of the same amount of gasoline. Is your truck designed to run on E-85?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Well, gains may depend on the year I'd guess. Older trucks prolly have heavier fans.

I'm sure on the dyno you could see some small power gains, but no seat of the pants feel. As far as mileage, if you drive constantly in the city it would probably help slightly with mpg, but on the road they don't even come on

Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
I'm sure on the dyno you could see some small power gains, but no seat of the pants feel. As far as mileage, if you drive constantly in the city it would probably help slightly with mpg, but on the road they don't even come on
This is very true.

I'd love an efan for my Ram. A/c condenser right in front of the radiator on a 105* day is not fun.

Quick Reply: Diablo Sport Predator mpg improvement?