3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

exhaust mess

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM
ricow82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust mess

Ok well i just went and had a 2 in one out 50 flowmaster with tips put on my 2008 ram and it sounds great but i noticed that i lost power and it won't shift down or up on time it seem like too much of a coincedence for this to happen but i went and had trans flushed and changed the filter but still sluggish anybody before i put it back i also reset the com by disconnecting the batt. It also is not throwing codes my girlfriend drive it and Sais the same thing

Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Smile

Originally Posted by ricow82
Ok well i just went and had a 2 in one out 50 flowmaster with tips put on my 2008 ram and it sounds great but i noticed that i lost power and it won't shift down or up on time it seem like too much of a coincedence for this to happen but i went and had trans flushed and changed the filter but still sluggish anybody before i put it back i also reset the com by disconnecting the batt. It also is not throwing codes my girlfriend drive it and Sais the same thing

What you did should have no affect on the performance of your truck. I think you mean a 1 in 2 out muffler since the other way you would only need one tip. I'd be looking elsewhere if you can actually feel a performance difference, from a new muffler. I had a 50 flow on my 06 for a while and it ran as good as any muffler I ever had on it, and no shifting issues at all. Did you remove the cats and the resonators at the time you changed to the flowmaster? Losing that much back pressure at one time might have a poor performance feeling, but if you left all that stuff in place it should not have made the truck feel sluggish.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If they welded it on, they should have unhooked the battery first to keep from frying the PCM. If they put the muffler on backwards with 2 inlets and one outlet, the baffles are backwards and it will be very restricted!! They have to be installed the right way.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Wink

Originally Posted by lxman1
If they welded it on, they should have unhooked the battery first to keep from frying the PCM. If they put the muffler on backwards with 2 inlets and one outlet, the baffles are backwards and it will be very restricted!! They have to be installed the right way.

He said he had tips, so I figured he just made a misquote. As far as your statement I agree 100% but if a muffler shop installed it backward after seeing a 3 inch pipe for the inlet they need to be out of business. Until coming to this forum I had never heard of disconnecting the battery before welding the exhaust, and have had it done many times without frying the PCM

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

These new ones are very sensitive to stray voltage. I have even seen them fry from jump starting another car.
Better safe then sorry. My cat back and stock mufler/trailpipe is all slip fit with band type clamps so no welding required.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
ricow82

Yes one in two out and i am of the same thought should not affect the performance but it did i took out the
Resaniator but let it stock fine the cat back it is the oddist thing i ever saw but i had teams filter change and flushed also reset truck i have obd2 showing nothing just pcv code then it will go away after three heat cycles without Mr resetting it.could they have fried a ground just had way more pep. I MISS MY HEMI.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

At the dealership we had a new tractor run then die, run for an hour then die, not shift then shift by itself without being told to do so. Turns out it was left outside during a thunderstorm. We figured it was struck by lightning, replaced the ECU and it was fine.

Hopefully your PCM is OK. Good luck.

Quick Reply: exhaust mess