3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Modifications to stock air box...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only into this for thirty bucks so far

Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
The 2010 ram air intake hose fits the previous gen hemi ram air box but not the heni hat...I'm thinking on the forth gen hemi the intake hose might fit on he the third gem hemi tb but hemi hat has to be removed and the temp sensor will need to be re tapped..

Im thinking dodge changed the TB location on the new gen of hemi Rams... so the 2010 air inake hose is a no go, kinda of shame as its a lot larger in size with bigger elbows, to make it work Im will have to use the oval shape end that fits on the hemi hat on the 3rd gen and cut out the 90 elbow on the 2010 air hose that would fit on the 2010 hemi TB and than figure out to run the longer hose...

Im going to use the 2010 hemi air box and Im going to cut out the fender ( plastic ) to match the larger air in take tube, Im also thinking of cutting out the top portion of the air box cover before the Ram logo, ( not were the pvc filter tube baffle is ) for a Ram air effect, Problem is figuring out to filter the cut out portion ... as the reg air filter fits inside below the cover...

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Here I go again....Okay, I have establiashed the hemi hat is restrictive, thats a week link with air flow, ( disscused in anothier post)

Do not plug the four intake holes inside the 90 dergree bend with spary foam...Any thing you put into the hemi hat could dis lodge and go into the TB......

I suspect the air hose is also restrictive, thats a 2nd week link with air flow...

I cut apart a paper filter and never again will I use a paper filter!!! 3 wink link with air flow..

How is air going to flow threw a restrictive metal screen with paper pressed tight togethier?

AS for the air box, I have made the intake hole bigger width wise ( cut with a swazal ) as far as I could go with out cutting the left bottom out of it.

I Fabbed up a heat shiled from a plastic fender from a utility trailer that is attatched to the underside of the air box peg ( round portion) and I have the curve running up betwean the Coolant resivoir and the windshiled washer ressivor flush with the hood..

I would like to cover up the squares inside the air box with something thats flat.. I don't see any advantage cutting extra holes into the air box as you need air to flow in one direction...IN...

For now Duct tape is conecting every thing togethier but thiers issues...

I doubt a do it your selfer is really going to tell if modiifications will work, as the only measure you have is a drive down the road.

I need to build a mini air box with a lid that seals tight against the stock air box and arround the intake portion on the fender, +arround the rad, to draw air in from under the plastic fender should and fender inatke..

And you can't make air colder by blocking out sources of engine heat, ambiant air temp is whats is injested into the engine.

ON my 2500 Ram thiers mega open spaces under the hood!!!!

Improving air flow into the TB from the stock air box is somthing I can't measure .. But I can't let this go with out trying!!!

Last edited by cyclone429; 03-31-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

some pictures would really help explain what you are talking about, its hard to follow your train of thought or if you are asking questions there or just rambling. I think your project is interesting, post up some pictures of what you are doing so we can see!!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really isn't worth your trouble. Either make a PVC intake or don't worry about it

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gHEMImorePower
It really isn't worth your trouble. Either make a PVC intake or don't worry about it

Exactly^^^

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Air filter was free its a s/b filter, for a V/10 dodge..

Its on my truck now...and over 3grand rpm, the hemi seems to go a little faster but who knows..

I cut out the top of the air box with a sawzel blade flush with the pvc box ( pvc box is intact) I tried to post a underside picture and a pic what it looks like on the truck, but it did not take... pissed me off...

Foam tape and electrical tape holds in place, filter fits flush with cut I made..

I have the bottom portion of air box ( were in let tube is conected ) cut out abought 3 in wider than stock but I need to fab up a larger intake tube..abought 2 in long buy 4 inchs, basicly build a new air box to fasten to the stock one...

For now the stock bottom portion of the air box with fender intake and fram filter is being used, as is the top portion pictured here..

I really whish I could post more pictures but some take and some don't...

As I have extra air hemi air intakes and the S/B filter was free, This should give some options for consideration on ulterations.. And some advice on how to post pics would be helpful...

Last edited by cyclone429; 11-24-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

use a site like photobucket then you can use the insert image and copy the direct link to the photo, thats the easiest way to do it by far.

Quick Reply: Modifications to stock air box...