3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
Dodge Dude, are you still running the stock cats on your truck. Before I replaced mine I could run most any muffler, and not have drone, but after replacing the stock cats with the magnaflow hi flows, my exhaust got a lot louder, The spun cats are only 4 inches long and look nearly as straight through as a straight pipe. The 23 inch super turbo, 3 inch in with two 2.5's out is the only muffler I've found that has calmed down the drone on my truck. I wasn't dissing thrush, it just didn't work for me
Well, for me, since I have a 2nd gen, it's a single cat. I've got a stock replacement cat on it. And it's funny you should complain about drone, because when I put my Thrush on, it's was nice and mellow, now with my new cat, it's actually even quieter now. Dunno why.
Originally Posted by lxman1
The flow on glass packs/ Thrush mufflers comes from turbulence caused buy all of the small cut outs in the flow path. It reverberates the exhaust pulses and causes a traffic jam, thus back pressure.
The same think happens in stock air intakes with silencers in them such as the Hemi hat.
This also happen when people gut their cats. The larger diameter casing causes the exhaust to redirect and crash into itself, so you gain little flow and more noise.

Hard for me to explain by typing on a keyboard
The flow or lack of flow? You lost me there lol.
As for the small cuts, that would have been the only problem I could have thought of. I actually got a benefit out of mine, but I think that's because my stocker was clogged with years of oil ****.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Pardon. My confused question, you have 2 high flow cats from the stock manifolds into one 3 in pipe into 3in inlet from a super trubo muffler with two 2.5 oulets?

Running two individual 2.5 in pipes from the cat back into a single muffler with 2.5 inlets and two 2.5 oulets from stock cats is just as effective as replacing the stock cats....or am I missing some things? ?

I have shorty headers with two hi flo cats, that run into a magnaflow y pipe then to a dynomax super turbo with 3 inch inlet and two 2.5 inch outlets. Before that I had 2- 2.5 inch pipes back to a dido x magnaflow, flowmaster and thrush turbo, of which all droned excessively. As you said it may be as effective to run 2- 2.5 inch pipes to a dido muffler, but in my case it droned way to much for me. The small amount of performance from the two pipes versus one was not worth listening to the drone. One other thing, it's against the law to cut out the cats, and we have emission checks where I live

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Well, for me, since I have a 2nd gen, it's a single cat. I've got a stock replacement cat on it. And it's funny you should complain about drone, because when I put my Thrush on, it's was nice and mellow, now with my new cat, it's actually even quieter now. Dunno why.

The flow or lack of flow? You lost me there lol.
As for the small cuts, that would have been the only problem I could have thought of. I actually got a benefit out of mine, but I think that's because my stocker was clogged with years of oil ****.

Dodge dude, with a stock or stock replacement cat, I can see your truck droning less, but if you replaced it with a performance cat, I guarantee it would get louder, and drone more

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 PM
gib_son911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a tuner to disable ur mds for ur drone or easy fix hit ur tow haul drone gone

Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 AM
ALW1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the dynatech Longtube header and y-pipe kit into a flowmaster series 50 muffler. Single 3 in and dual 2 1/2 out. Sounds great and minimal drone. On the highway it's just a nice satisfying rumble out back.

Quick Reply: From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!