3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Boat.buoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!

Hey Dodge Fans,

Hopefully my 06' 5.7 V8 Hemi Quad cab will be back on the road at the end of this week, all being well I'd like to release some of the proper V8 sound!

I've read various mods like removing the main central silencer and leaving the others in place, what I would really like is genuine experience from people with the same setups. I drive some fairly long distances in my truck so done want it to be too loud, but I definitely want it to sound like a V8 - I've always been amazed how quiet they are as standard!!

So, your suggestions please!

1) to give a bit of extra sound, at minimum deep V8 burble!
2) a compromise
3) full performance exhaust, headers to tail pipe.

Does anyone make tuned pipes for these trucks? As in musically not just for performance.

Thanks for your help!
Matt

Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my advice is leave the x sytem 100% stock..

Now if you want to play, for go the headers, they do add hp but for the cost, I'm running the stock ex manifolds...

If you have the cash, add headers...

Remove y pipe and you may have to retap the o2 sensor on the right side ( as in my 06 hemi 2500)

Run true duals, and go with cherry bomb glass packs, over time the glass beeds will burn out, but thier so dam cheap in comparison to chamber mufflers ( flow master)

I have two cherry bomb glass packs on my truck, and it sounds better than a viper when Im hard into it, yet is whisper quiet at idel..

case length is 26 in 2.5 in 2.5 out...

Run mufflers under the box and not the cab, some brands of mufflers casue big time drone... run the tail pipes stright out the rear right or before the right rear tire, running extra pipe arround the spare tire is a waste of money...

Mufflers are like women, evey one has thier own brand, Dynomax is the dog meat of ex sytems, mangnaflow never lived up to my expectaions..

Dont weld braces to the actual pipe, the sob who did my first ex conversion did this and the pipe roted out, muffler clamps are great to weld bracing too, thier cheap to replace...

Loud will not give you a free flowing ex sytem, and performance mufflers will not out live oem ex systems...

100% of the kits out thier are for cat back ex sytems and not true dual ex systems, your limited only buy your cash you want to spend.

I view x pipes ot h pipes as a waste of time and money as the stock hemi ex system right from stock is not 100% balanced, transfer case and flue tank get in the way..

Best of luck in your choices..

if

Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Magnaflow 16700 cat-back kit is really nice. I have one for my 08.
If you go louder, you will want to get a programmer so that you can turn off the MDS. It sounds really crappy in 4cyl mode. This is why the OEM system is so quiet.
My preference is Diablosport, but there are other brands out there too.

If it were me, I would get the Magnaflow kit and leave the front resonator on. My 08 didn't come with the front resonator, only the one in the tailpipe.
When cruising down the highway, it isn't loud in the cab much at all, but it is a bit loud when accelerating, especially if you do any towing.
The Magnaflow is all stainless so it won't rot away after a few years like aluminized pipe will from a local muffler shop. The kit is easy to install yourself with no cutting needed. The OEM system is all slip fit with bad clamps, and the Magnaflow kit is too.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

If all you want is sound and not performance, go with a stainless steel Flowmaster. Keep in mind, this will give you the sound only, as ironically, Flowmaster's chambered design flows less than the stock system.

If you want great sound and performance, get a shop to cut out the old system right before the "Y" pipe, and then have them bend dual 2.5" pipe into a Magnaflow dual in/dual out muffler. This is very cost-effective, and since the Magnaflow mufflers have an "X" designed into them, it is still a "true dual" system. This is what I'm running, and I couldn't be happier. You can even control how loud it ends up being by the muffler you choose. Shorter mufflers (16-18") are louder, while longer ones (24-26") are quieter.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Boat.buoy

Thats some really useful feedback there chaps!! I get the truck back on Wednesday/Thursday so will probably leave it alone for a couple of weeks, then get to playing!!

Any further suggestions very welcome

Thanks again!
Matt

Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boat.buoy
Thats some really useful feedback there chaps!! I get the truck back on Wednesday/Thursday so will probably leave it alone for a couple of weeks, then get to playing!!

Any further suggestions very welcome

Thanks again!
Matt

Since you say you drive some long distance, remove all the factory resonators and muffler and get a 3in in dual 2.5 out dynomax super turbo muffler and have a shop make you some 2.5 inch tailpipes. You will sound like a V8 and have absolutely no drone at any speed, and have a good flowing muffler on your truck

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thrush Turbo.

Cheap, sounds good, flows well.

Some don't like it, but I get zero drone down the highway.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Dynomax are crap...ultra flow or any muffler with a x in the middle burn out the fiber glass packing due to creating restriction in the centre if the muffler, not balancing out ex flow.

My first crack at dynomax begin with my first attempts on my true dual ex systen, in 6 months you will be getting a new x flow dynomax under warenty and you will be going back again and again...

Stay with one muffler from the cat back with two out lets or run two individual mfflets, aviod any nuffler with fiberglasd packing..

And as I mentioned, I'm running glass packs that will burnt out, but so have a lot of brand nane mufflers I have tried before the cherry bombs.

Its not worth your tine and noney to value price your new ex system with dynonax clains...I had thier crap on my truck one too Manny tines...

Last edited by cyclone429; 04-29-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Sorry for typos..new smart phone...

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

I just had a flowmaster super 44 welded in and cut off the stock muffler and rear resonator. Left the smaller front resonator in at the suggestion of the exhaust shop, since the droan would be a little too much and it helps muffle the fart sound when the MDS kicks it into 4 cylinder mode.
Sounds great!

Quick Reply: From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!