3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Headers

Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to exhaust (or anything in general) my #1priority is sound ha. But I'm also 19 :/

Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That will change with time youngling LOL!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already learned that loud sucks. lol

Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
skytja

A bit late into the discussion, but that article is not comparing in an unbiased manner:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic..._long_headers/

They're comparing to stock, which is the point of the matter. The problem where you need to pay attention is that the Shorty is using a single exhaust CatBack setup, where the Long Tube seems to be running full duals without Cats. That invalidates their stand of Long Tubes being better.

That doesn't prove they are worse than Shorties, only that the results are biased, and can't be taken at face-value.

I'm interested in the comparison because my exhaust is pretty rusty, and all clamps have been removed in favor of welds by the previous owner. I've been trying to find unbiased comparisons of shorty + Dual Cats + full Dual exhaust (with Crossover) vs Long Tube version of the same. Most articles I find have the emissions equipment on the shorties and are deleted on the long-tubes.

Still looking.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So, why aren't you taking your truck to Germany? There are lots of them over here, and we all get along fine. The annual inspections are run by a bunch of ***** (wait, can I say that here...?), but other than that, stay away from parking garages and life is peachy. The only issue I'm running into here that I didn't face being stationed in Arkansas is the winter snow/salt build up and ensuing rust if you don't keep after it. But, you are going to have that with any vehicle, not just the trucks.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by ewing111
I know conventional wisdom will tell you at least sometimes that shorties are better for low end, but there are a lot of people who say that LT's will give you a better increase all the way across the board, including low end and with quite a big advantage higher up.

Here is a nice write up (there are more too if you just do a google search) showing gibson shorties vs some LT's, it shows the LT's with a power advantage all the way across the board.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic..._long_headers/

Well, that wasn't a very good even comparison. The long tubes had a custom exhaust system with it where the shorties only had a simple cat back, and even at that the LT's only produced 9 ft lbs more torque, but at a higher RPM, and 14 more hp. Hook up that fancy exhaust system to the, shorties and run it again, so we get an actual true difference. Seems like every comparison test someone runs on anything, is always stacked in someones favor. In this instance I'd say stainless works had something to do with the stacking

Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
Well, that wasn't a very good even comparison. The long tubes had a custom exhaust system with it where the shorties only had a simple cat back, and even at that the LT's only produced 9 ft lbs more torque, but at a higher RPM, and 14 more hp. Hook up that fancy exhaust system to the, shorties and run it again, so we get an actual true difference. Seems like every comparison test someone runs on anything, is always stacked in someones favor. In this instance I'd say stainless works had something to do with the stacking

Also look at these numbers and you will see that the stock manifolds and the shorties were tested at the same rpm, while once again the LT's are given their numbers at a higherPeak Numbers Horsepower Torque (lb. ft.) Stock 311 @ 5,176 rpm 345 @ 4,076 rpm Gibson 319 @ 5,176 rpm 346 @ 4,276 rpm Stainless Works 333 @ 5,376 rpm 355 @ 4,476 rpm

Read more: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...#ixzz2ZmtVbVUa rpm

Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Bertil
Rookie

I would go with long tubes hands down.. Shorties are not worth the investment without other mods. This would be the next thing i do to my truck for sure but... The only down side to me is the fact that for some bull**** reason long tubes are not legal in CA, where I'm bound.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shorties are a cheap, easy and effective solution to those who want an easy install and more performance while staying emissions legal. End of story. Long Tubes are almost a waste of money for those who don't race their trucks imo

Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Shorties are a cheap, easy and effective solution to those who want an easy install and more performance while staying emissions legal. End of story. Long Tubes are almost a waste of money for those who don't race their trucks imo
Well 08 we don't agree on much but I will agree with part of what you said. The cheap comment, is sometimes correct and sometimes incorrect depending on what brand of shorties you are buying. Some shorties are as much or more than LT's, especially when comparing to Pacesetter LT's. I'll take shorties hands down for a street header, because of their ability to make more TQ and HP over stock, and like you said, why do you need a header made for racing if you don't race. Installation of LT's on a truck is no big deal, and can be done by one person, but yes, shorties are an easier install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers