3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Opinions on New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Packy37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay why about a 2nd Gen 12valve Cummins? Right now I have a 2nd Gen v10

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 PM
TheFist
Veteran

If you're not towing anything significant with regularity the cummins is a major waste of money.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Packy37
Rookie

I don't tow excessively but I do some towing. Cummins just get good gas mileage. Only hemis I know that are great on gas are the newer ones

Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Packy37
I don't tow excessively but I do some towing. Cummins just get good gas mileage. Only hemis I know that are great on gas are the newer ones
If you don't tow regularly, you will never recover the costs of running a diesel just from gas mileage. 60-80 cents more per gallon here and the extra costs of maintenance and God help you if something breaks because they cost a fortune to repair over a regular gas truck. You are talking about an old one also so breakage may be a regular thing on a diesel that old...JMO

Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Packy37
Rookie

Idk I got a new job and I'm making hell of a lot more money now than what I was that's why I am considering it. But my dad works for a company and I can get discounts on anything Jeep, Dodge, or Chrysler. So I still gotta see on like a 2013 or a 2014. If that's gunna be a hell of a deal then I'll prob just get a 2013 or 2014 Hemi

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay what MPG are you guys avg on your 3rd Gens with The Hemi and v8s?
Loaded question that will vary with 2wd/4wd RC/QC 3:55/3:92 etc
My window sticker which they will use to their advantage and is rarely ever above those figures..... 13city/17hwy With Mds I have a 4x4 QC 3:92 w/33's
Okay why about a 2nd Gen 12valve Cummins? Right now I have a 2nd Gen v10
I think you'll find that the Hemi will be quicker and have much better fuel efficiency than your outdated V10. You might notice a difference in towing, but only with heavier weights on the higher end of the Rams capabilities. My Ram tows 5k lbs like nothing is even there. 6k lbs is pulling slightly. 7klbs I can feel. So, unless your regularly towing over 6,000lbs. I wouldn't worry about getting a diesel. It's above that weight when a diesel shines and outweighs a gasoline engine. Anything under that and fewer and far between tows, your wasting money on a Cummins. Doesnt make it cost productive.

Cummins fuel vs Hemi gas when not towing ends up being a wash. Now, when you tow, Cummins will get better mileage.

If your dead set on getting a diesel, why not get the new V6 ecodiesel. While it can't tow anything massive(comparable to a Hemi) it's rated at nearly 30mpg on the highway(not towing) Cheapest you can get is $40k though.

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Stay away from a 3rd gen Ram. I prfer the looks and build quality of the 2nd gen, If the v10 gaser is not broke, or not in need of repairs, keep driving her..
problem w/2nd Gens....they are outdated and just ugly. Own a new one for a little bit, or go test drive a brand new one for a day or 2 and then go back to yours. Until then, you wont understand.

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-06-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Idk I got a new job and I'm making hell of a lot more money now than what I was that's why I am considering it. But my dad works for a company and I can get discounts on anything Jeep, Dodge, or Chrysler. So I still gotta see on like a 2013 or a 2014. If that's gunna be a hell of a deal then I'll prob just get a 2013 or 2014 Hemi

I've owned a Dodge with the Hemi in it for 8 years now. I just sold my 06 recently and that vehicle worked flawlessly for 8 yrs. I now own a 2014 quad cab with Hemi and it is a much nicer truck than any of the other generations, and gets better mileage and has more hp than any of its predecessors. O/A Just a much better more comfortable truck. It will tow anything I have to tow. If you are towing over 7000 pounds get a diesel, under that weight a Hemi will do the trick. Good luck with your choice

Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Packy37
Rookie

I think I'm leaning more towards a Hemi. I'm not sure about a 2014 though. Who knows I might end up liking it a lot more once I get in one and drive it

Old 03-06-2014, 06:00 PM
ThugRen

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab. 5.9 L Diesel auto. Oh there really not to bad in price, You can shop around for better prices and parts. Diesel hold there value better, you can modify things a bit easier at times. They are will last longer if you keep up the oil changes and general repairs. they run cooler and call haul more weight. Have more toque and power. Oil changes will be more.

If you not hauling anything and just want a more daily driver go Hemi are more common now more parts at junk yards and scrap yards..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Packy37
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThugRen
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab. 5.9 L Diesel auto. Oh there really not to bad in price, You can shop around for better prices and parts. Diesel hold there value better, you can modify things a bit easier at times. They are will last longer if you keep up the oil changes and general repairs. they run cooler and call haul more weight. Have more toque and power. Oil changes will be more. If you not hauling anything and just want a more daily driver go Hemi are more common now more parts at junk yards and scrap yards..
I think I am going to go with a Hemi. Yea the cost for oil changes in a diesel is what I pay now for my v10 basically. Takes more oil than you can imagine lol

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on New Truck