3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Opinions on New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Packy37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions on New Truck

I got a new job that is going to allow me to buy a new truck. Right now I have a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram 2500 v10. I want a 3rd Gen, 4 door, shortbed. I don't know if I want a v8, Hemi, or Cummins and I would just like to hear other peoples opinions from experience. I know a diesel is gunna cost me more for parts but I'm not sure how much more it would cost me.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Mfranks89

In all honesty I would do the hemi. parts for the diesels are outrageous and diesel fuel is starting to skyrocket don't get me wrong diesels have their perks but those types of trucks are better ment for big companies that do 90 percent hauling and race teams. now the hemi allows for greater torque and more power all together but the life expectancy of the motors themselves are short lived costing roughly 2500 for a crate motor whereas the diesels are up their. I personally chose the 4.7 motor for my truck because if the right parts are placed and tuned you can get the diesels hauling power and the hemi's horses the 4.7 is one of the more expensive motors costing around 4500 for a crate motor but the life expectancy for the 4.7 is almost twice as long as the hemi's. I hope this helped you in finding your answer.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Jarrett198

Just get the hemi and be happy and enjoy the fun of it!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mfranks89
In all honesty I would do the hemi. parts for the diesels are outrageous and diesel fuel is starting to skyrocket don't get me wrong diesels have their perks but those types of trucks are better ment for big companies that do 90 percent hauling and race teams. now the hemi allows for greater torque and more power all together but the life expectancy of the motors themselves are short lived costing roughly 2500 for a crate motor whereas the diesels are up their. I personally chose the 4.7 motor for my truck because if the right parts are placed and tuned you can get the diesels hauling power and the hemi's horses the 4.7 is one of the more expensive motors costing around 4500 for a crate motor but the life expectancy for the 4.7 is almost twice as long as the hemi's. I hope this helped you in finding your answer.

I personally chose the 4.7 motor for my truck because if the right parts are placed and tuned you can get the diesels hauling power and the hemi's horses
Aint never gonna happen. You might get the hp of a hemi, but you'll never get the towing power of a Cummins out of that puny 4.7. Why would you even make an outrageous claim like this. I guess you actually think this could happen. If you could build a 4.7 to have 850 lbs/ft of torque, it would be unstreetable....and that's a very big IF

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 03-03-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Packy37
Rookie

Okay what MPG are you guys avg on your 3rd Gens with The Hemi and v8s?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
UTOT

I drive back and forth from Utah to North Dakota and depending on the elements I average 13.5-14.2mpg with my Hemi. I normally drive 85-85mph which is turning around 1950 to 2050rpm Im also running 33x12.5 so i do loose a bit on fuel millage as well if i kept my foot out Id probably get a bit more.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Packy37
Okay what MPG are you guys avg on your 3rd Gens with The Hemi and v8s?

'05 Hemi getting 19.2 highway and 11.6 city. (all stock, no lead foot)

Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from a 3rd gen Ram. I prfer the looks and build quality of the 2nd gen, If the v10 gaser is not broke, or not in need of repairs, keep driving her..

By the time you repair a busted out third gen, you will have a no better truck thats cost you more and worth nothing, Flue savings will not offset the investment in a 3rd gen Ram.

If You really want a new truck, Than go all the way, and drive all the 2013 2014 brands, I dont see much sense in owning a used truck and than spending cash to own a used truck.

If you were to find a one owner, looked after third gen hemi, than You would have a debate and I would go to a third gen, but othier wise stay away..

New disels, no, stay away from them too, a 5.9 CTD in a third gen body, is the best choice you can make..

Hemi is a great engine, nothing bad to report, the rust of the the truck, is anothier story..

Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Easy_e
Amateur

If you are looking at a 3rd gen Ram. Then I would say try to get a 2006 - 2008 3rd gen Hemi. Like others have said "Get the Hemi". It will also have better resale value then non-Hemi Rams.

A few of the changes that were made in 2006:

MDS was added (Might be a negative to some)
New hydroformed frame (VERY IMPORTANT)
Updated suspension
Updated rear clutch pack clips aka c clips (VERY IMPORTANT)
Electric shift 4x4
Cabin refinement and noise reduction
A few cosmetic updates

I know when I went looking at 3rd Gen Ram 1500, I saw the wheel well rust in all of trucks that were older then 2006. I've got a 2007 and not even a hint of rust. I believe the the new hydroform frame fixed the wheel well rust issue.

See link below.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...0/viewall.html

BTW - I've got 259k miles on my stock truck. Original motor and transmission.

Last edited by Easy_e; 03-04-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Forgot about the c clip update.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Easy_e
If you are looking at a 3rd gen Ram. Then I would say try to get a 2006 - 2008 3rd gen Hemi. Like others have said "Get the Hemi". It will also have better resale value then non-Hemi Rams.

A few of the changes that were made in 2006:

MDS was added (Might be a negative to some)
New hydroformed frame (VERY IMPORTANT)
Updated suspension
Updated rear clutch pack clips aka c clips (VERY IMPORTANT)
Electric shift 4x4
Cabin refinement and noise reduction
A few cosmetic updates

I know when I went looking at 3rd Gen Ram 1500, I saw the wheel well rust in all of trucks that were older then 2006. I've got a 2007 and not even a hint of rust. I believe the the new hydroform frame fixed the wheel well rust issue.

See link below.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...0/viewall.html

BTW - I've got 259k miles on my stock truck. Original motor and transmission.
I agree completely^^^^

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on New Truck