3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Splitfire spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Sdupuy01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitfire spark plugs

Has anyone heard or experienced anything good or bad about the splitfire copper classic spark plug?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Save your money and stick to normal basic 1950's copper spark plug technology for these engines.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitfire

Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the only plug i found was any good besides the regular champion plug, was the champion truck plug, before they stopped making them, i had them in my 03 dakota with a 3.9 and they lasted over 50,000 miles..... i'd pull them every year and check the gap, and it would never change, and they were always clean. went to get another set, and found they quit making them. the electrode, and the grounding tab were twice the size of a regular spark plug, so they didn't burn as fast as a normal plug would..... i'd stick with a plain ole plug, i had splitfires in my old cavalier, the only non mopar product i owned for 3 months, and i didn't notice any change with it, as far as mpg, or performance, it actually ran like crap, and i ended up putting a standard plug back in it. not worth the money. one thing you can do is cut the right angle off the end of the grounding tab, just before it bends over the electrode, and then set your gap on the side of the electrode. old school trick, this way the piston pushes the mixture of air and fuel directly into the spark.... they will burn out quicker, wich means you will be replacing them more, but you'll get a cleaner burn, and possibly some hp, or mpgs out of it...... i know they do with race cars. or they used to.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like NGK. But I always have.
Never did like Champion. Always fouled in my dirt bike as a kid but NGK always performed.
So it what I stuck with.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by RDuck
I like NGK. But I always have.
Never did like Champion. Always fouled in my dirt bike as a kid but NGK always performed.
So it what I stuck with.
for some reason champion seems to only work well in lawnmowers, and mopar vehicles, lol....... i've heard of some using bosch in the hemi........ i've also seen people put bosch, or ngk in their american cars, then bring it to the garage for a misfire....... then we would then change their plugs, back to what is called for and the car ran fine. personal preference i guess, but i'll always use champion in my mopar.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
for some reason champion seems to only work well in lawnmowers, and mopar vehicles, lol....... i've heard of some using bosch in the hemi........ i've also seen people put bosch, or ngk in their american cars, then bring it to the garage for a misfire....... then we would then change their plugs, back to what is called for and the car ran fine. personal preference i guess, but i'll always use champion in my mopar.
I agree. Personal preference.
I'd never use a Champion.
Any plug will work if its designed to be used in your engine.
Sometimes plugs can be bad even from new.
I've seen plugs that had great spark. Install them and compression causes whatever and the plug doesn't work.
Take it out. Check it. Seems fine. Reinstall and nothing.
Swap plug and boom. Your running again.
Brand doesn't matter so much. Its what you like.
V Groove, Split Fire, Multiple grounds with titanium flux capacitor capabilities built by NASA, Whatever.
If its what works for you. Go for it.
Try it. No very hurts to try.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by RDuck
I agree. Personal preference.
I'd never use a Champion.
Any plug will work if its designed to be used in your engine.
Sometimes plugs can be bad even from new.
I've seen plugs that had great spark. Install them and compression causes whatever and the plug doesn't work.
Take it out. Check it. Seems fine. Reinstall and nothing.
Swap plug and boom. Your running again.
Brand doesn't matter so much. Its what you like.
V Groove, Split Fire, Multiple grounds with titanium flux capacitor capabilities built by NASA, Whatever.
If its what works for you. Go for it.
Try it. No very hurts to try.
thats very true..... i've seen eltrodes broken off new plugs, sometimes they get dropped, and the box isn't usually gonna show that, unless it hits on a corner. alot depends on how they are handled when packaged, and shipped. i've seen people never gap them, i know some plugs you shouldn't gap, double platinums, or iridium plugs they have a coating to help protect the electrodes from oil, and carbon build up...... iv'e also seen them with no gap at all, and the owner of the car has no idea why it doesn't run, lol. i use ngk in my vmax, they do work great in that. also used them in my goldwing. ngk seem to be the best motorcycles, or atvs, quads. thats all i use in them.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Sdupuy01
Amateur

Well when I bought the truck a couple months ago, it came with a new set of splitfire copper classics. Not the "V" plugs, they stopped making them. I pulled the old plugs, autolites. Boy were they fouled. So I gapped and installed new plugs. It could be just me but engine sounds different and gas gauge seems to drop faster with splitfire plugs. Thinking of putting in new champs...

Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

when I worked at a parts store we did a very unscientific test of plugs, we checked the resistance of each plug on the shelf, 2 brands failed miserably (aka no 2 plugs were even close in resistance to one another) champion, and ac, every other brand was within 5 ohms of each other. When I worked at a gm dealership when an s-10 would come in for a missfire we installed autolite plugs and 9 times out of 10 it took care of it (this was warranty work too). I ran splitfires in my drag car for one weekend I lost a tenth with them, the new guy e3 plugs in my grand prix cost me 3 mpg and my knock retard went up (supercharged engine). I have ngk in the pontiac now, and will have autolite in the dakota once I finish putting it back together

Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 PM
kodydredram

Is it true that in the second gen truc is that you are supposed to use copper plugs that are one heat range colder?

Quick Reply: Splitfire spark plugs