3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Straight Pipe or No Straight Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 AM
dodge.girl18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Pipe or No Straight Pipe

Hi. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7L V8 hemi engine, and I am considering straight piping it. What are the pros and cons. I would like some opinions. The truck already has a cat back exhaust system, with a thrush welded muffler and 3.5" magnaflow tips.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Why do you want to do this?

Pros: None

Cons: It will sound like crap. It will fail inspections. It will trigger the check engine light. It will stink. It will **** off your neighbors. It will attract unnecessary attention from law enforcement.

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-01-2015 at 07:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TonyKZ1 (06-23-2020)
Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of straight pipes either. Still wouldn't scavenge nearly as well as even shorty headers.

If you don't have to worry about inspections you could ditch the cats and put a couple non foulers in the post cat bungs to avoid a CEL. The stock cats aren't very restrictive but after 11 years they may be clogging up. A better muffler than that cheap, stamped out Thrush might be advisable and if you still have that nasty crimped factory Y pipe cut it out and get that non-restrictive, stainless MagnaFlow Y pipe.

If you want it LOUD, pick up a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler or even go true dual, omitting any Y pipe and put you two Extremes on. Your neighbors will hate you, mine did when I had my '04. LOL...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-01-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:57 AM
duke07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound will be annoying especially if you drive a lot on the highway.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Chris Kade
Default 323k

Hey guy. Just bought my first ever hemi,04 qc. I love it and plan on putting alot more miles on it. When I purchased it a year ago,it had the cats hollowed out. In my county,there are no emissions. Sounds great with just flowmasters. My question is. Is she re any way to bypass or delete the o2 sensors so if another code comes up I'll know

Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Kade
Hey guy. Just bought my first ever hemi,04 qc. I love it and plan on putting alot more miles on it. When I purchased it a year ago,it had the cats hollowed out. In my county,there are no emissions. Sounds great with just flowmasters. My question is. Is she re any way to bypass or delete the o2 sensors so if another code comes up I'll know
yes. Google MIL eliminator.

Old 01-28-2024, 02:31 PM
chris73737
Default What are yall smokeing

[I HAVE A 2000 DODGE EX CAB VB GOT THE CAT ON IT SO IT WNT MESS UP ENGINE CUT OFF BEHIND CAT ADDED A AGRESIVE SUPER 10 ONE IN 2 OUT THEN OUT THE SIDES WITH 2 4 INCH GLOSS BLACK ECHO TIPS SOUNDS AMAZEING RUMBLE SOUND AND QUIET BOTH AND I LOVE IT DNT SEE HOW ANYONE ELSE DNT LIKE IT QUOTE=HammerZ71;3253051]Yeah, I'm not a big fan of straight pipes either. Still wouldn't scavenge nearly as well as even shorty headers.

If you don't have to worry about inspections you could ditch the cats and put a couple non foulers in the post cat bungs to avoid a CEL. The stock cats aren't very restrictive but after 11 years they may be clogging up. A better muffler than that cheap, stamped out Thrush might be advisable and if you still have that nasty crimped factory Y pipe cut it out and get that non-restrictive, stainless MagnaFlow Y pipe.

If you want it LOUD, pick up a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler or even go true dual, omitting any Y pipe and put you two Extremes on. Your neighbors will hate you, mine did when I had my '04. LOL...[/QUOTE]

Old 03-30-2024, 11:48 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris73737
[I HAVE A 2000 DODGE EX CAB VB GOT THE CAT ON IT SO IT WNT MESS UP ENGINE CUT OFF BEHIND CAT ADDED A AGRESIVE SUPER 10 ONE IN 2 OUT THEN OUT THE SIDES WITH 2 4 INCH GLOSS BLACK ECHO TIPS SOUNDS AMAZEING RUMBLE SOUND AND QUIET BOTH AND I LOVE IT DNT SEE HOW ANYONE ELSE DNT LIKE IT QUOTE=HammerZ71;3253051]Yeah, I'm not a big fan of straight pipes either. Still wouldn't scavenge nearly as well as even shorty headers.

If you want it LOUD, pick up a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler or even go true dual, omitting any Y pipe and put you two Extremes on. Your neighbors will hate you, mine did when I had my '04. LOL...
[/QUOTE]

you do realize this is a 9 year old thread that no one has commented on in 7 years right? I think they have probably figured it out by now 🤣

Quick Reply: Straight Pipe or No Straight Pipe