3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Rodo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Purchase

Hey guys, new forum member looking at possibly purchasing a 2500. I've got a buddy that owns a dealership and he's recently bought a 2005 ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi with about 105k on it. Quad cab laramie with 4x4. Says hes had a mechanic go through it and the only thing that was wrong was rear brake lines that have been replaced and some rust above the wheels that will be cut and new metal welded in. Exterior and interior wise the truck seems to be in pretty good condition however it does have rust underneath. I haven't seen it in person yet but I've been told his body shop says its only surface rust. The car fax seems to be clean as well but having never owned a "high" mileage vehicle I'm looking for any advice as to if its worth buying or anything specific I might need to check or look at replacing. I've included pics from underneath and the latest carfax reports. Car will be fully detailed with the undercarrige power washed and a fresh oil change. Hes asking 12k and if I don't purchase says he will list it at 14k. Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Possible Purchase-img-0123.jpg   Possible Purchase-img-0124.jpg   Possible Purchase-img-0125.jpg   Possible Purchase-img-0126.jpg   Possible Purchase-img-0127.jpg  

Possible Purchase-img-0136.jpg   Possible Purchase-img-0137.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Go see it. Crawl under it (plenty of room. ) and inspect. If it is indeed just surface rust, it's likely well worth 12K.......

Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Rodo

I plan on it but unless it’s eaten through the metal it’s hard to tell..I’ve seen trucks with worse rust than this last for a long time. I plan on eventually doing suspension upgrades or a lift but would like a solid platform to start with. I was considering just getting it coated after it’s been power washed but not sure if it would make a difference

Old 11-23-2017, 11:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bring along a sharp, pointy stick. Poke at things. If you can poke it THROUGH stuff, that's bad. If it's just surface rust, cleaning and coating will definitely be a good idea. Some scale is to be expected, especially if you live in the rust belt..... if you don't like the looks of it, may wanna pass on it.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:43 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

common problems are broken manifold bolts, ball joints, drag links...other than that they are pretty solid. price seems high for a gaser, unless everything, including the rusted fenders are fixed. do some price comparisons for your area.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:30 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There will be more brake lines to come. Once they start .....

It's an Illinois truck. That ain't surface rust. It's Barnacles !

Old 11-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Rodo

Originally Posted by primem
common problems are broken manifold bolts, ball joints, drag links...other than that they are pretty solid. price seems high for a gaser, unless everything, including the rusted fenders are fixed. do some price comparisons for your area.
I have..the average going rate is 12-14k and that’s with 160-200k on the clock with wheel well or cab corner rust and that’s for regular 1500s. Diesels start at 200k here for about the same price. Just sold a regular 1500 quad ram last week same condition 110k on it for about 11k las week and it barely sat for 5 days so there’s no doubt a lower mileage 2500 will sell for 14k with no issues other than rust underneath.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Rodo

Originally Posted by TNtech
There will be more brake lines to come. Once they start .....

It's an Illinois truck. That ain't surface rust. It's Barnacles !
I thought so but nothings eaten through anywhere as of now it literally is just on the surface but I don’t know how bad it’s going to get. I wouldn’t normally even consider it but it’s hard to find something in my area under 160k for that price.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rodo
I thought so but nothings eaten through anywhere as of now it literally is just on the surface but I don’t know how bad it’s going to get. I wouldn’t normally even consider it but it’s hard to find something in my area under 160k for that price.
I live in southern michigan, in the heart of the rust belt, and my 96 ram 2500 only has surface rust on the frame. I think the surface rust provides a protective coating.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:08 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodo
I have..the average going rate is 12-14k and that’s with 160-200k on the clock with wheel well or cab corner rust and that’s for regular 1500s. Diesels start at 200k here for about the same price. Just sold a regular 1500 quad ram last week same condition 110k on it for about 11k las week and it barely sat for 5 days so there’s no doubt a lower mileage 2500 will sell for 14k with no issues other than rust underneath.
Damn I get ready to sell my 2007 Ram I'll head up North and peddle it on the corner for a while LOL.