3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Check Gauge light on, Battery indicator at 0. Started but then died Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:51 AM
cdnjan
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Check Gauge light on, Battery indicator at 0. Started but then died Help Please

2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 L
3 weeks ago .. check gauges light came on. Shut truck off, restarted A-ok check gauges light off.
Fast forward today .. truck had not moved in 3 weeks. Started Beautifully, except check gauge light came on. Restart, no change and I noticed battery gauge totally dead. Headed off and 5 miles away, air bag light came on. I pulled over, shut er down then TRIED to start truck. Would not start. It seemed to want to but no go. I tried a few times then it started the tika-tika-tika under the hood. Not sure how to explain it but you will get it

Checked under the hood and well, battery connections Nasty and one wire running to neg has white powdery stuff on the cable jacket a few inches away from connection. I had no tools, all I could do was try to hit them to loosen some corrosion. Anyway nothing .. called a pal for rescue.

Came back to it 4 hours later and thought to try one more time to at least get it home. It started first try, dark out lights super dim. I got it home, limped I would say. Had to put into neutral and 4*4 for wicked driveway. Pretty sure 4x4 did not engage, so no way was it going up just kept slipping then she totally died hard, major power fail. Dash lights still lit up real bright, I really don't remember headlights. Gear shift would only go from Park to Neutral? Sorry for the long ramble just wanted it all here. Just hoping for direction, what to check first before calling a towtruck? Is it possible it's just the battery or maybe into alternator? TIA PS I'm just an ole gal with no pennies to toss away at relentless mechanics. Thank You

Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Clean all the battery connections first, may need to get a jump, or throw a charger on it to get it to start.

The following users liked this post:
cdnjan (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 04:33 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Best answer .. Crossing my fingers that this will work .. and teach me a lesson. Thankyou

Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 AM
cdnjan
Amateur
Question

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean all the battery connections first, may need to get a jump, or throw a charger on it to get it to start.
I tried to reply earlier but the net swallowed my post Or I goofed up
I cleaned the corrosion up real good. I was able to borrow a Nautilus Recreational Power Bank from my neighbour. Would not boost me. (After reading many reviews on that product there does seem to be issues)
I lucked out and a buddy came by .. boosted with his truck and started up immediately as it should. I possibly made another mistake in that I did not drive it right away. Just left it idling for 10-15 min. I heard the idle changing so jumped in fast but not fast enough, it died and would not restart. Not even the tika,tika noise anymore just silence. Anyway was quite excited but likely messed up by not taking her for a run (or not leaving booster cables on for long enough)
Back at it today. I have read tons of stuff about testing battery and alternator so I will start there. The battery may be at a point of no return .. maybe that is what I will end up having to do .. just buy a new battery. I could not find a date on it but it was well used when I bought the truck 4.5 years ago. I also read they can wreck each other (battery & alternator) if one of them is messed up. Any additional input is appreciated. Thank You

Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you pull the battery terminals off and clean them? Does the alternator appear to be at least trying to charge the battery when it was running?

Old 02-10-2020, 03:59 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Did you pull the battery terminals off and clean them? Does the alternator appear to be at least trying to charge the battery when it was running?
Yes, took them right off and scrubbed everything good. I got so excited when it started so good that I paid no attention to alternator/battery. The needle did indeed move with key on accessory but I never looked after. I'll pay more attention today. I have a trickle charger but I'm assuming 2, 100 ft extension cords to reach the house will likely render it useless? Thank you hey you for your input.. much appreciated.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:40 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Neg not bad but corrosion on cable

neg not bad

Nasty plus nut is cracked .. need to replace for sure

Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think the trickle charger would handle fairly dead batteries very well. I know my 'smart' chargers simply shut off if the battery is too low for them to charge...... If that's what ya got though, certainly worth a shot, worse that will happen is..... nothing.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:22 AM
cdnjan
Amateur

I don't think the trickle charger would handle fairly dead batteries very well. I know my 'smart' chargers simply shut off if the battery is too low for them to charge...... If that's what ya got though, certainly worth a shot, worse that will happen is..... nothing.
I was blown away .. I swear the trickle charger is 40 years old oh and yes about 200 ft away from first extension cord plug in.. I had to use THREE anyway I left it 22 hours.. went down and tested it with charger still on and it read 12.7 as compared to 3 yesterday. SO excited I was .. and panicked too lol. Pulled charger off and reconnected the negative (tested again -Great) .. got in and started it.. Started strong first time. Was worried I would die 1/2 way up wicked driveway but no problem we got up. Then still excited and well I ummm locked the keys in the truck. First time in 40 years I swear. No spare key ugh. This has taught me a few lessons for sure as long as I remember them SO my next step was going to test the alternator .. but, first I need to keep trying to break into my truck lol. What can I do but laugh. The battery gauge in truck did move upon starting .. but as I was getting brave enough to try 4X4 the Check Gauges light came on and needle dropped all the way. Anyway when I got up I did try to start one more time and she fired good ... so I dunno if a new battery will fix it or just maybe alternator is acting up. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again

Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I always enjoy a good story, and that one certainly qualifies.

Have the battery tested, see what ya get. You might get lucky, but, don't hold your breath.

Quick Reply: Check Gauge light on, Battery indicator at 0. Started but then died Help Please