3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ranting on ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 03:51 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ranting on ...

Sorry for my ranting, but I had to complain to someone ...

I had a code P0300, random misfire and figured I'd replace all plugs and coils, since searching around, I could have gotten all 8 plugs and coils for under $100 and did the work myself. Since it's been bitter cold where I live and the weather is unpredictable, I took it to a mechanic. He did a good job and got it done in an hour. The plugs and coils that were bad (2) were the only ones replaced, so I was good with that. But, I could have purchased a set of 8 coils for about $60.00 +/- dollars and was charged by the mechanic $123.00 for just the two coils. The labor for diagnostics and repairs was acceptable, $66.00, but the cost for the two coils was extremely expensive, especially since I checked where the parts were purchased and he doubled the cost. Coils were $29.99 each at Napa and I was charges $61.34 each. Seriously, I'm not too happy with that.

Again, I'm sorry for the ranting, and I did stomp my foot a couple times but I had to let off some steam. Thanks for listening and have a great day ...

Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Moral of the story, you take it to a shady mechanic, you're gonna pay for it, whether they do a good job or not lol. Look at the bright side, imagine how much it would have cost had you gone to a DEALER lol.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

It's been my policy, that if two of the same parts are bad, replace ALL of them. They live in the exact same environment, so, if two have failed, it's a pretty good bet that the rest are not far behind.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:24 AM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Moral of the story, you take it to a shady mechanic, you're gonna pay for it, whether they do a good job or not lol. Look at the bright side, imagine how much it would have cost had you gone to a DEALER lol.
Yeah, I agree. I'm mostly annoyed that the cost of two coils was way more than I could have gotten a whole set of eight.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:34 AM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's been my policy, that if two of the same parts are bad, replace ALL of them. They live in the exact same environment, so, if two have failed, it's a pretty good bet that the rest are not far behind.
I agree totally with you. I'll be doing that as soon as the weather warms up a little more here. I wasn't going to let the mechanic do that as it would have run me over $800 and that would have been insanity at it's best. I am mostly frustrated that 2 coils cost me $123.00 and I could have purchased a whole set of 8 for under $70.00. My main problem is that I don't have a good place to work on my trucks.

The coils that were bad were 6 and 7. Not sure about 6, but where 7 is, I did recently have a major gas leak in the line over the engine, so gas might have seeped around the coil and damaged it. Any case, it's done and I do need to replace all when warmer weather approaches.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Most shops mark up parts. It's normal, but double+ is not cool. Maybe 20-25% max.

Quick Reply: Ranting on ...