3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

87 octane in HEMI = Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 AM
mattg1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 octane in HEMI = Trouble

I have a 4wd ram and recently got a check engine light. Brought it to a shop and they got an egr code. after further diagnosis the tech called me into the shop and said, "you run regular dont you" I said yes. he showed me an egr and some solenoids and wires and a port all clogged solid with carbon. He asked if my mpg's progressivly got worse I said yes again. On his computer he showed me where dodge changed the info on their end and not on the customers. My manual says 87 octane. on the program the tech had it said " revised: 87 octane in 5.7 2wd only 4wd models require 91 octane" in the end it cost me $610 to fix the problem. just wanted to give a heads up and see if anyone else has heard of this

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
sos
All Star

I have never heard that. My manual says it "recommends" 89, but 87 is ok. They can't fault you for something you were never told, and I don't see why it didn't just jump from 87 to 89 but all the way to 91. Seems odd.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

everyone always asks about putting higher octane in their tank and this is one of the reasons why i don't, i know you had no clue so this is a different story but i would be pissed if i wanted to put a higher octane in my tank to see if it runs better and then if something like that happend..thats why i always use the same octane all the time

Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 AM
mattg1500

i always ran regular unless i towed somthin just cuz i thought i would be doing somthing good for the truck. from now on im using premium fuel!!! the tech advised me if i didnt he would see me in another 60k mi

Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is your sign!

For a few dollars difference for a tank of gas, I cant see why anyone wouldn't just run mid grade 89oct?? Dodge even states the Hemi prefers 89oct. Whats the big deal? Just do it and be glad you dont have to run premium.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
everyone always asks about putting higher octane in their tank and this is one of the reasons why i don't, i know you had no clue so this is a different story but i would be pissed if i wanted to put a higher octane in my tank to see if it runs better and then if something like that happend..thats why i always use the same octane all the time

I just don't follow you??? The problem happened from using 87oct not a higher octane. His problem wouldn't have occurred using higher octane.
I read your post 5 times and still don't understand??? It doesn't make sense?? Changing octanes above the required grade will not hurt anything, only if you go below the required grade.
Chrysler reccomends 89octane. i highly suggest Everyone atleast use that. I've heard of several guys that ran 87octane and the skirting broke off the pistons causing internal damage from pre-detonation. Sure the Rams have knock sensors but so do most Ford modular motors which are notorious for breaking piston skirting from running too much timing with a lower grade fuel.
Chrysler factory tune shouldn't even allow 87octane.
Book calls for 87octane. I ran 91octane when i fisrst bought it and now that i have a 91octane tune, I run 93octane.
Running a higher octane can do a few things. If and only IF your vehicle needs the higher octane will it gain power. Higher octane burns much cleaner and doesn't leave as many deposits behind so this means a cleaner smoother running engine, extended service intervals including plugs. Higher octane will reduce if not eliminate any possibility of detonation even under the hardest loads.

For the $.20-.25cent difference per gallon at the pump is only $5-$6 more for 26gallons. i never let my fuel get below 1/4 tank because it's bad for the fuel pump to starve, especially on turns...etc... I know I have never needed more than 22 gallons to fill my tank. 93octane costs me $5.50 more than 87oct at most.
So figure this....If you drive 15,000miles per year and get about 300 miles per tank(+/-13mpg's), it will cost $275 more for premium fuel for the entire year. That's $23 per month. That's if you drive that much and basing it off of 93 octane prices. If you ran 91octane, figure half that amount.
It's barely negligible for the long haul costs and it saves more than repairs would cost! I just think if your so worried about saving $.10(91oct) or $.20(93oct) you shouldn't be driving a 13mpg pig in the first place!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

basically saying that out of my paranoia i wouldn't want to put a higher octane in my tank for $5-6 if i could possibly hurt the engine and end up paying 500 or 600 to fix it depending on how much damage is done, if 87 octane runs my truck then i'll stick with the 87 i don't need to put a higher octane in

Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

basically saying that out of my paranoia i wouldn't want to put a higher octane in my tank for $5-6 if i could possibly hurt the engine and end up paying 500 or 600 to fix it depending on how much damage is done, if 87 octane runs my truck then i'll stick with the 87 i don't need to put a higher octane in
That's why I didn't understand. Your logic is backwards.
Did you read what I posted? A higher Octane that you purchase from the gas station can no way in hell be bad for your engine. Higher octane can only do good. Whether it's needed or not is another thing. In the Hemi's case...89 should be the lowest anyone is running. Now if your solely a highway driver and on flat level ground and don't bog the engine down, 87 is do-able.

Here's a quick lesson... The Northstar engine GM produced for the Cadillac's requires 91octane. if you put 93octane you cannot do any harm to the engine. if you put in 87 or 89 octane you will damage the engine. octane is a one way streak. You can always go up, but you can never go down. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '03 manual says 91 recommended, 89 acceptable, 87 only if necessary, 93 not recommended. Same for my C. I mix 87 and 93 to approximate 90/91. There are many posts on several forums, "I've run 87 for a while, no issues and no change in power or mileage..." Here's evidence to follow the book.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
sos
All Star

But the problem mattg had was caused by running too LOW of an octane. He ran 87, and unknown to him, Dodge had changed their recommendation to 91. Had he been running a premium fuel, the $600 repair would not have been needed (at least according to what the technician said).

So what you are saying is that because of his problem (caused by too low of an octane), you are glad you also run that low octane so it doesn't do damage to your engine (even though that's exactly what did the damage to his engine). That's why dirtydog is confused, and so am I.

Quick Reply: 87 octane in HEMI = Trouble